What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Finally picked up my bottle of Foursquare Criterion today. Not going to get to it today, but plan on spending some quality time with it and one or two of its cousins tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

If deliveries arriving counts, today yielded:

• Foursquare Criterion
  • Plantation Stiggins’ Delight (restock)
  • Plantation Double Aged Dark (OFTD is so delicious that I figured I’d try it)
  • Plantation XO (hey, it was on sale!)

Watch out with the Plantation stuff - they  make a few good products (which you own)  but I wouldn't drift into their regional rum series, etc. They're one of the big sugar/flavor adders.

Plantation's strength is making good rums for cocktail applications. You can sip them if you like, but there are better candidates for that. Such as your Foursquares.

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Watch out with the Plantation stuff - they  make a few good products (which you own)  but I wouldn't drift into their regional rum series, etc. They're one of the big sugar/flavor adders.

Plantation's strength is making good rums for cocktail applications. You can sip them if you like, but there are better candidates for that. Such as your Foursquares.

I’m aware. I wouldn’t have considered the XO but for the price, and while I suspect the Double Aged will seem wimpy compared to OFTD it seemed worth a try as another option for punches. Thanks for the warning though…it’s a shame that all the gems they unearth at WIRD will no doubt be altered before bottling and I’m sure the unwary will get taken.

Edited by Lucid

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's mostly Rhum anyway, found this sitting dusty as hell deep in the back of a liquor store shelf, for 16.99 not sure if I will drink it but figured it will look cool on the bar.  I haven't bought a bottle of Clement Shrubb before is it supposed to be full of floating stuff?  Also no Government warning or tax strip so I'm assuming this is either gray market or mid 80's?

IMG_20170823_173158244_BURST001.jpg

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Well it's mostly Rhum anyway, found this sitting dusty as hell deep in the back of a liquor store shelf, for 16.99 not sure if I will drink it but figured it will look cool on the bar.  I haven't bought a bottle of Clement Shrubb before is it supposed to be full of floating stuff?  Also no Government warning or tax strip so I'm assuming this is either gray market or mid 80's?

IMG_20170823_173158244_BURST001.jpg

My bottle is of the same design but has the government warning on the back.  It's a late 90s bottle.  Your bottle is probably a late 80s bottle.

2 hours ago, Jamie76 said:

My bottle is of the same design but has the government warning on the back.  It's a late 90s bottle.  Your bottle is probably a late 80s bottle.

Cool thanks for chiming in!

Shrubb isn't very nice to drink on it's own - I've done the research for you :)

It's VERY cloyingly sweet.

It's not particularly valuable or collectible. But it's an ingredient in some tiki cocktails. At 16.99 you can afford to splash it into a classic recipe and see if you can make cocktail magic.

13 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Shrubb isn't very nice to drink on it's own - I've done the research for you :)

It's VERY cloyingly sweet.

It's not particularly valuable or collectible. But it's an ingredient in some tiki cocktails. At 16.99 you can afford to splash it into a classic recipe and see if you can make cocktail magic.

I happily admit that I bought it 99% to have the bottle sit on my bar looking kind of old and cool. That being said I can see it ending up in some cocktails if I end up cracking it open, I don't sell or trade so really didn't buy it with any value in mind other than aesthetic, which is I guess both personal and subjective!

Oh I totally hear you. I was also posting for others who might read and wonder.

Deffo looks old and cool - but it still looks old and cool if you bring it out for mixing at a party - then when it's empty, you can re-fill it with the eventual horrible whiskey we will all eventually buy by mistake or get gifted, and it can spend the rest of its days as an ornament.

I finally found a bottle of Real McCoy 12yo Limited Edition locally and could not pass it up. Unfortunately I'm going to have to clear some space on the "open rum" shelf before I dive into it

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I finally found a bottle of Real McCoy 12yo Limited Edition locally and could not pass it up. Unfortunately I'm going to have to clear some space on the "open rum" shelf before I dive into it

Ya' know Kyle, you sound just like Bruce...Sayin' you're going to wait...But, just like Bruce, I bet you cave and pop that baby before the weekend's over...  :lol:

I bought my first Seale 10 yr. I'm not doing a side by side but it seems a lot drier than most of my others: Doorlys 12, Appleton 12, Foursquare 2004 Port Finished and maybe on par with Mt. Gay XO. Still feeling my way through rum, but this could be a favorite. And $21 too. Great value IMO. 

Ya' know Kyle, you sound just like Bruce...Sayin' you're going to wait...But, just like Bruce, I bet you cave and pop that baby before the weekend's over...  :lol:

You're right, Joe...Bruce is a bad influence!

12 hours ago, Kpiz said:

You're right, Joe...Bruce is a bad influence!

Hey, I resemble that remark!

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

I'm joking, of course. You set a good example of opening bottles and enjoying them rather than hoarding them for a hypothetical special occasion in the distant future.

Found this on sale and thought I would give it a try.  Just starting to explore the rum world as I am usually a bourbon, Scotch, and gin guy.

IMG_6362.jpg

After scouring the earth, I finally got my hands on one of the Plantation Rum "Cigar Boxes"-- it's going to take me a while to bust these open given how neat the set is.

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

After scouring the earth, I finally got my hands on one of the Plantation Rum "Cigar Boxes"-- it's going to take me a while to bust these open given how neat the set is.

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

That is some great packaging! Enjoy

17 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

Very pretty.  

For those in or around Va the ABC has Mount Gay XO on the closeout/discontinued sale price of $17.59 which is just about half off their regular price.

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

For those in or around Va the ABC has Mount Gay XO on the closeout/discontinued sale price of $17.59 which is just about half off their regular price.

Nice time to stock up, hell of a price for a fantastic bottle!

19 hours ago, DCFan said:

Yeah, I'd buy at least one 12 case at that price, even if you were only going to mix it in cocktails (which is what I'd use it for, or else serving it to guests who want a gentle rum)! That's disturbingly good, and quite probably a mistake on their part.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

[...] even if you were only going to mix it in cocktails (which is what I'd use it for, or else serving it to guests who want a gentle rum)!

Interesting, so you don't consider the XO a good sipping rum? Or is it just a case of having too many better bottles and little time to waste?