What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Just now, Kane said:

Interesting, so you don't consider the XO a good sipping rum? Or is it just a case of having too many better bottles and little time to waste?

I'd be perfectly happy if someone served me a glass of XO for sipping.

But I like rums of big and bold character, primarily. XO is too gentle and quiet to be something I'd reach for as a sipper, but it's great for someone starting out drinking spirits. Even Seale's 10 is mainly used for cocktails in my house, and I've got the 46% export strength bottles. Now, Seale's single barrels at higher proofs? THOSE I'd reach for for sipping.

I should add that I'd rather drink XO all day long vs. a Plantation, etc with sugar in it. I'm a little worried the Plantation guy just bought a third of WIRD, rhyme unintended. I'm glad he's resurrecting Long Pond I think it is in Jamaica, and maybe he'll even restore the Rockley still if it can be done, but if he's going to make good distillate and dump sugar in it, I'm not sure how excited I'm going to be. Plantation has a lot of fans, and again, it's not even so much that they add sugar it's that they don't put that on the label, and they only started the whole "dosing is traditional" crap after they got caught, and it's still going on.

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I should add that I'd rather drink XO all day long vs. a Plantation, etc with sugar in it. I'm a little worried the Plantation guy just bought a third of WIRD, rhyme unintended. I'm glad he's resurrecting Long Pond I think it is in Jamaica, and maybe he'll even restore the Rockley still if it can be done, but if he's going to make good distillate and dump sugar in it, I'm not sure how excited I'm going to be. Plantation has a lot of fans, and again, it's not even so much that they add sugar it's that they don't put that on the label, and they only started the whole "dosing is traditional" crap after they got caught, and it's still going on.

I hope they decide to age some of the rums in Jamaica and Barbados and follow their rules and customs, but I'm not holding my breath.

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Yeah, I'd buy at least one 12 case at that price, even if you were only going to mix it in cocktails (which is what I'd use it for, or else serving it to guests who want a gentle rum)! That's disturbingly good, and quite probably a mistake on their part.

You must've missed where I said it was on closeout/discontinued. ;) So there's no mistake on their part, they're clearing out the remaining stock at firesale prices.  Why I don't know.  Poor sales??

I just looked at this thread yesterday and all the talk about XO made me do a search of the ABC website to see if they carried it.  To my surprise they did and at rock bottom prices.  But there is hardly any left in the area so I can only surmise that this sale has been going on for a while.  I did see where there was a store about 15 minutes from where I work so I went there shortly after they opened today but the clerk said the 3 bottles listed on the website were set aside for a licensee. ie restaurant/bar.  So I was SOL. :(

I saw it was on closeout, but even closeouts can be mistakes!

Ah well on the strike out - Seale's 10yr is only a few bucks more, after all.

23 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

But I like rums of big and bold character, primarily. XO is too gentle and quiet to be something I'd reach for as a sipper, but it's great for someone starting out drinking spirits. Even Seale's 10 is mainly used for cocktails in my house, and I've got the 46% export strength bottles. Now, Seale's single barrels at higher proofs? THOSE I'd reach for for sipping.

Long Pond is indeed in Jamaica. Got to try it at Tales in Alexandre Gabriel's seminar. Similar to the other "high ester" pot still distillates that have been popping up of late like Worthy Park, Moneymusk and Hampden.

The sample in the seminar that I had seemed to be sugar free but I don't know if he will bottle it that way since most do seem to have some amount of  "dosage".

Third from the right.

59aee41b0b873_FerrandTalesofthecocktail.jpg.1ef1b246730f5f3e61f343b1077ea173.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl2

I typed that badly. I should have typed "I think he's resurrecting Long Pond in Jamaica". I meant of the Jamaican extinct distilleries, I think it was Long Pond they're doing. Thanks for confirming.

I've got old bottles of Cadenhead's Long Pond. Pretty awesome stuff. Hopefully they'll sell some bulk to the Scottish once they get rolling.

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I typed that badly. I should have typed "I think he's resurrecting Long Pond in Jamaica". I meant of the Jamaican extinct distilleries, I think it was Long Pond they're doing. Thanks for confirming.

I've got old bottles of Cadenhead's Long Pond. Pretty awesome stuff. Hopefully they'll sell some bulk to the Scottish once they get rolling.

I thought you would know Long Pond was Jamaica so it did seem odd! But yes, that is the one being reopened as a result of Bonbonnet/Ferrand purchasing WIRD from Goddard. Although oddly one article I read said Goddard would still control the Cockspur brand.

It is interesting that Bonbonnet is also now a joint owner in NRJ with DDL and the Jamaican government since that was also part of Goddard. And partners of a sort with Diageo through Clarendon/Moneymusk as Diageo last I heard was still making the European version of Captain Morgan there.

Interesting bedfellows as it were. And a rather confusing web or ownership!

I ordered two bottles of the new Cadenhead's "Classic" rum. This is supposedly an updated version of the old "Classic Green Label Rum", and bottled at 100 proof with no additives. I was a fan of the old Green Label so I'm looking forward to trying this one.

A local store had its twice annual dollar days sale where everything is a dollar over cost. Reloaded Appleton 12 for $26 and will try for the first time a Barbancourt 15 for $37. Looking forward to it. 

IMG_3199.JPG

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, The Black Tot said:

Speaking of Plantation, I pulled the trigger on a OFTD today.  Don't judge<_<, curiosity just got the best of me!  :lol:

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Speaking of Plantation, I pulled the trigger on a OFTD today.  Don't judge<_<, curiosity just got the best of me!  :lol:

No judgment here. Pretty good on its own and great for rum cocktails.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

'Twould be hard to judge with a 12 case in my bunker...

16 hours ago, Paddy said:

Yeah no judgement that is the one Plantation product I always have a bottle of!

On 9/18/2017 at 10:15 PM, Charlutz said:

A local store had its twice annual dollar days sale where everything is a dollar over cost. Reloaded Appleton 12 for $26 and will try for the first time a Barbancourt 15 for $37. Looking forward to it. 

IMG_3199.JPG

I love that Barbancourt 15! It's different and somewhat of an acquired taste, but it has a unique quality hard to find elsewhere. Appleton 12 is a solid exceptional mixer or a good sipper.

5 hours ago, DROB said:

6e41712be672c35e07ef85747e2d3de7.jpg This finally arrived from the U.K.

Nice find.  I like everything I have had from that distillery so far.

Triptych was one of my favorites at Tales. Prior to trying it I had a chance to buy one and passed which I of course now regret!

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I love old labels, picked up the bottle in the middle yesterday

IMG_20170930_160633406.jpg

That's quite the collection of XO's there. I gather you're a fan? :D

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

That's quite the collection of XO's there. I gather you're a fan? :D

Yep, even before I started exploring Rum MG XO and Appleton 12 were favorites of mine. 

Picked up an Appleton Estate 12 year Extra which was on sale at $31.99.  And since it's Mini Monday (first Monday of the month) I got a free Deep Eddy Orange Vodka miniature since my purchase was over $25.

IMG_0022.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't find it on the shelf and asked a local to order a Foursquare 2004 cask strength. They got it for me at $80. Not sure if I paid a fair price but I love this. The funk and kick are awesome. I'm liking my new habit. 

IMG_3247.JPG

Shoulda been closer to 60 in the US but hey we've seen bigger markups in this hobby for sure.

At the duty free in Bridgetown Barbados these were 35 bucks. I bought 5 to add to the 3 I already had at home. Obviously, I like it.

Glad you got one.

• I like it 1