What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

That's the price of the latest drop in NY as far as I have seen, still a few places online for $60 but once you add shipping it doesn't matter much unless you buy multiple bottles. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

That's the price of the latest drop in NY as far as I have seen, still a few places online for $60 but once you add shipping it doesn't matter much unless you buy multiple bottles. 

Highlighted that for you.

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Shoulda been closer to 60 in the US but hey we've seen bigger markups in this hobby for sure.

At the duty free in Bridgetown Barbados these were 35 bucks. I bought 5 to add to the 3 I already had at home. Obviously, I like it.

Glad you got one.

So, did you make it to the distillery on your Bajan layover last month or did you end up not having enough time?

4 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So, did you make it to the distillery on your Bajan layover last month or did you end up not having enough time?

Not enough time, alas. I would have made time had Mr Seale been in country, but he was out spreading the gospel.

I'll be back. One of the things I like about Foursquare is that they're not going anywhere, and their production methods aren't scheduled to change anytime soon. 

Which is also why I stay out of the bun fights for things like Criterion and Triptych. I'll buy their future equivalents when it isn't cool anymore.

EDIT: And which is also why I stocked up on the 2004 cask strength. I don't think we're going to see <$60 cask strength 11yr Foursquare again for the next several years. 

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 2

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Which is also why I stay out of the bun fights for things like Criterion and Triptych. I'll buy their future equivalents when it isn't cool anymore.

Bun fights! I love it.

Just now, The Black Tot said:

Highlighted that for you.

Oh I'm well aware, just ordered 5 bottles from CA only an hour ago ;) Gotta get more Hamilton CS St. Lucia before I can't, and after seeing they had KY Owl Rye for retail was unable to stop myself despite whatever reservations I had. Generally ordering from CA to NY/NJ works out between the generally higher shelf prices and tax here vs shipping.

• I like it 2

A recent shopping trip. the Clement 6, Pussers Gunpowder, and Denizen are all new to me. The FS port is the fifth bottle. The OG is my next bourbon step as I look into inexpensive bourbons.

1011171757.jpg

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

A recent shopping trip. the Clement 6, Pussers Gunpowder, and Denizen are all new to me. The FS port is the fifth bottle. The OG is my next bourbon step as I look into inexpensive bourbons.

1011171757.jpg

The Pusser's gunpowder definitely has a little kick to it! For me it needs a bit of water to be enjoyable. The Denizen 8 is a lower proof unusual blend of Jamaican pot still and molasses based rum from Martinique of all places and seems perfectly serviceable but is primarily a mixing rum for me which is what it seems to have been intended for. The FS and Clement (and OGD!) are all lovely sippers for me. 

• I like it 1

I have yet to see many, if any of the fine rums that are mentioned in this thread, including the most recent post, in the Memphis market. Not that I'm a huge rum drinker anyway, but I'd like to pick up a few of the easier to find recommended ones to try someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Pusser's gunpowder definitely has a little kick to it! For me it needs a bit of water to be enjoyable. The Denizen 8 is a lower proof unusual blend of Jamaican pot still and molasses based rum from Martinique of all places and seems perfectly serviceable but is primarily a mixing rum for me which is what it seems to have been intended for. The FS and Clement (and OGD!) are all lovely sippers for me. 

I assume the Pusser's is similar tastewise the regular Blue Label? I plan to use it for Painkillers mostly. Denizen I tried with ginger ale and Coconut LeCroix and found that quite enjoyable.

20 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I assume the Pusser's is similar tastewise the regular Blue Label? I plan to use it for Painkillers mostly. Denizen I tried with ginger ale and Coconut LeCroix and found that quite enjoyable.

It's exactly the same stuff but 114 proof instead of 86 or 80.

Ideal for cocktails where you don't want too much dilution anyway.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I have yet to see many, if any of the fine rums that are mentioned in this thread, including the most recent post, in the Memphis market. Not that I'm a huge rum drinker anyway, but I'd like to pick up a few of the easier to find recommended ones to try someday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appleton and Mount Gay are your friends. Particularly Appleton 12 and Mount Gay XO.

Edited by kevinbrink

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

1011171757.jpg

The Denizen 3 year which is filtered clear is a fantastic cocktail rum, I love it in a Mojito. 

18 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

The Denizen 3 year which is filtered clear is a fantastic cocktail rum, I love it in a Mojito. 

After trying the Merchant Reserve and enjoying it, I'll pick up a bottle of the white next time. I understand it has a different heritage.

Looking forward to the Cask Strength XO-- it was a bit of a challenge bringing these back on the plane from NYC.

IMG_7740.thumb.jpg.949b189b81cb7845ef72ada0ac3019cb.jpg

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Looking forward to the Cask Strength XO-- it was a bit of a challenge bringing these back on the plane from NYC.

Hello new friend :wub:

11 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Some good drinkin' right there, Marekv8!

Good drinkin' indeed! The Rhum Rhum Liberation 2015 barrel proof is one of my favorite (whether it be rhum, rum or ron!) of all time. Unfortunately a bit spendy though or I would have bought all I could find!

16 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Nice haul, I'm sure Astor appreciated your business! ;)

Anyone would. ;)

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Nice haul, I'm sure Astor appreciated your business! ;)

I'm not so sure anymore-- I used to have a great insider contact there who would disappear and return with samples to taste and extend sales to days he knew I would be in town (which is probably why he's no longer there). It's rather cut and dry now. The good news is that I've found another great resource in the city that are truly enthusiastic about interesting spirits.

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm not so sure anymore-- I used to have a great insider contact there who would disappear and return with samples to taste and extend sales to days he knew I would be in town (which is probably why he's no longer there). It's rather cut and dry now. The good news is that I've found another great resource in the city that are truly enthusiastic about interesting spirits.

Oh yeah? How are the prices at the new spot?  I stick to 4 or 5 stores in NYC and do most of my shopping in NJ since prices are typically better, not always the case though. Tough to find stores with good Rum selections though.

Edited by kevinbrink

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Oh yeah? How are the prices at the new spot?  I stick to 4 or 5 stores in NYC and do most of my shopping in NJ since prices are typically better, not always the case though. Tough to find stores with good Rum selections though.

I'm sure the prices are on average with other Manhattan shops-- but I'm not there to save ten bucks. I've walked 40 blocks from the hotel to hear "Hey Dave-- glad you're here, I've got something that's going to blow your mind!" At that point, I pull a bottle out of my backpack and say "Hang on, you've got to try this first."

Luckily, Louisiana has a long-standing cultural relationship with rum and cachaça-- there's always been a sugar cane connection with the Caribbean and a Catholicism tie with Brazil-- so it's not unheard of to find unusual bottles in the wild.

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Luckily, Louisiana has a long-standing cultural relationship with rum and cachaça-- there's always been a sugar cane connection with the Caribbean and a Catholicism tie with Brazil-- so it's not unheard of to find unusual bottles in the wild.

Hey Dave I'm Catholic but I'm stuck here in ABC-land. You saying I've got to become a missionary and head out with the heathens to get some decent rum? ;)

• I like it 1