What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

4 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Based on your earlier review, I'm sure it will. I'll reel in a Damoiseau 55˚ or 50˚ for a fairer fight.

Also-- thanks for your comments about the bar, it's the "on-premise research center" at the office.

I do rather love research! And any research bar with a bottle of Amer Picon  Black label on it would be my kind of bar!

And with plenty of rhum agricole and a bottle of Drambuie on the bar you need only rustle up a bottle of Green Chartreuse to do some "research" on one of my favorite Smugglers Cove cocktails!

Baie du Galion

0.5 oz Green Chartruese

0.25 oz Drambuie

2 oz rhum agricole blanc (I prefer something that is at least 100 proof!)

Lemon twist

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with twist.

16 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And with plenty of rhum agricole and a bottle of Drambuie on the bar you need only rustle up a bottle of Green Chartreuse to do some "research" on one of my favorite Smugglers Cove cocktails!

The Chartreuse is there, just hidden by the rhum in the earlier shots. I've got plenty of variations on that theme as well.

Thanks for the cocktail suggestion-- I needed a good Thanksgiving experiment.

chartreuse_2.thumb.jpg.f72a850b1d499fc3c18ed2d5bee3aef8.jpg

chartreuse_et_al.thumb.jpg.73fdb620b9745e6a23b53298d7c2f78e.jpg

I have found a love for Rhum Agricole. Rhum JM was my siren's song. 

Other than Rhum JM and Clement, what other worthy Rhum Agricole should I keep an eye out for in the Northeastern US? 

Thank you!

Can't speak to whats available at your local retail but if you search on line and order from overseas..... St James 15yr, Karakura cask strength, Three Rivers cask strength, Dillon XO, Bally 12yr and vintage releases come to mind.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Guss West said:

Other than Rhum JM and Clement, what other worthy Rhum Agricole should I keep an eye out for in the Northeastern US? 

Thank you!

In northern NJ I can get (apart from those you mentioned) La Favorite, Neisson and Damoiseau as well as some Berry's Selections of Agricole at TW. Expand that to NYC and just by shopping at Astor you could probably double that.

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, Guss West said:

Thank you!

As mentioned above-- Astor NYC carries a nice selection from Capovilla, Neisson and Barbancourt among others. I've stumbled across a few beauties in CT as well, like this early Clément teardrop lanquishing in dust in a tiny liquor store.

IMG_7039.thumb.jpg.f114913f009184bff6206f33fdd46aeb.jpg

• I like it 2

The Chartreuse is there, just hidden by the rhum in the earlier shots. I've got plenty of variations on that theme as well.

Thanks for the cocktail suggestion-- I needed a good Thanksgiving experiment.

chartreuse_2.thumb.jpg.f72a850b1d499fc3c18ed2d5bee3aef8.jpg

chartreuse_et_al.thumb.jpg.73fdb620b9745e6a23b53298d7c2f78e.jpg

How do you like the Paranubes? I’m very intrigued but haven’t been able to pull the trigger.

10 hours ago, Kpiz said:

How do you like the Paranubes? I’m very intrigued but haven’t been able to pull the trigger.

The Paranubes is funky, fresh and cane-forward-- neat stuff. I was able to taste it in New Orleans and sought out a bottle immediately as I found it unusually complex.

The Paranubes is funky, fresh and cane-forward-- neat stuff. I was able to taste it in New Orleans and sought out a bottle immediately as I found it unusually complex.

Thanks for the notes, I’ll have to pick up a bottle. I’ve had my eye on it for a while but haven’t been willing to pull the trigger because I know I’ll end up drinking it mostly neat and it’ll take me a while to finish the bottle.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:57 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I do rather love research! And any research bar with a bottle of Amer Picon  Black label on it would be my kind of bar!

Baie du Galion

0.5 oz Green Chartruese

0.25 oz Drambuie

2 oz rhum agricole blanc (I prefer something that is at least 100 proof!)

Lemon twist

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Garnish with twist.

Thanks again for the cocktail recipe Bruce, I brought the components down to a local bar and asked the bartender to whip up one for each of us. I'm typically not a cocktail guy, but this was almost a spirit in its own right-- a nice memory.

Regards, Dave

IMG_7934.thumb.JPG.ec5ca1cfd3f9efc5813ebcd380228c7e.JPG

IMG_7935.thumb.JPG.ff4818803dbf5f73ee4b25cbd2d1e4c4.JPG

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 1

Picked up a few more Agricole Blancs in New Orleans-- the 140 proof Neisson Esprit should be fun to experiment with.

IMG_7939.thumb.jpg.fd2a546d74f1906ecd5d767170a1a8d9.jpg

• I like it 2

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, Marekv8 said:

Thanks again for the cocktail recipe Bruce, I brought the components down to a local bar and asked the bartender to whip up one for each of us. I'm typically not a cocktail guy, but this was almost a spirit in its own right-- a nice memory.

Regards, Dave

IMG_7934.thumb.JPG.ec5ca1cfd3f9efc5813ebcd380228c7e.JPG

IMG_7935.thumb.JPG.ff4818803dbf5f73ee4b25cbd2d1e4c4.JPG

Glad you liked it. I too originally passed on the Paranubes but if it is still around I may have to reconsider!

I bought a few recently for my current blog posting (see new thread). Pusser's Navy Rum regular 42% abv, excellent with that genuine but matured pot still Guyana taste; Cockspur, the regular one, elegant and lighter; Captain Morgan, the Canadian one that has a bit of Canadian rum blended in - also very good, just a bit short on finish but good value; and Screech, probably Jamaican but origin not stated. All excellent, different. I have a vatting going too of other rums including Myers and Screech again, also Admiral Rodney and another older one, plus other things. Don't have the vatting quite right yet but will soon.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

Look forward to reading your rum series Gary! Took a bit of a self imposed blog holiday over Thanksgiving but will get back to my regular daily obsession now!

I too wo0uld be curious to try the Black Tot rum if the opportunity ever arises (and I am willing to pay the freight to do so!).

And from what I have read I am pretty sure Screech is indeed a Jamaican sourced rum.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Glad you liked it. I too originally passed on the Paranubes but if it is still around I may have to reconsider!

I would recommend trying it first-- it's super funky. Growing up amidst the cane fields of South Louisiana-- the Paranubes smells like home to me (in the same manner that the Hamilton Pot Still Jamaica Gold tastes like home), so it's a personal thing for me.

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I would recommend trying it first-- it's super funky. Growing up amidst the cane fields of South Louisiana-- the Paranubes smells like home to me (in the same manner that the Hamilton Pot Still Jamaica Gold tastes like home), so it's a personal thing for me.

As an agricole fan and a fan of "funky" in general I think it will be no problem!

• I like it 1

Picked up a bottle of Rhum JM VSOP and Barrell Rum batch #001 today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let us know what you think! I find it to be a very nice full bodied rum and of course at what I consider to be a very desirable cask strength. 

I posted my thoughts after opening one of my bottles of FS 2004 in one of the other threads. I concur with your opinion...it is a really nice rum. I'll be looking for the 2005 edition when it becomes available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I posted my thoughts after opening one of my bottles of FS 2004 in one of the other threads. I concur with your opinion...it is a really nice rum. I'll be looking for the 2005 edition when it becomes available.

I sure hope youre right as I bought this one untasted on recommendation and my thorough enjoyment of criterion.

That Barrel batch #1 is a sleeper - good snag.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to opening it at some point in the future. It was the last one on the shelf and the only place that I've ever seen it.