What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

the only interesting thing about the new ownership at WIRD is that I was told they would be rehabilitating the old pot still.  Gabriel told me that in July but friends on the island say there has been no movement on that front to date.

2 hours ago, sailor22 said:

the only interesting thing about the new ownership at WIRD is that I was told they would be rehabilitating the old pot still.  Gabriel told me that in July but friends on the island say there has been no movement on that front to date.

Potential for rum from Long Pond in Jamaica as well as part of his purchase of WIRD although again hard to know if that will get messed with too. Unfortunately it probably will to some degree too much like the WIRD stuff.

5 hours ago, sailor22 said:

The Ferrand ownership part of Long Pond is actually very small it turns out.  

Interesting. I had the impression from Alexandre that it was at least a third. Is that not correct?

I picked this up during lunch-- a New Orleans rum-based liqueur. The base Roulaison expression was surprisingly good, so I had to give it a go. No telling how they arrived at their AMER classification, but I've got plenty of category competitors to play it against.

IMG_8579.thumb.jpg.f5a814b02f3367d305b740927539a39a.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for Samaroli and tend to grab them while I can (and while they remain)…

IMG_8590.thumb.jpg.479ba4b24dee361a5339d3da21f65abc.jpg

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I've always had a soft spot for Samaroli and tend to grab them while I can (and while they remain)…

IMG_8590.thumb.jpg.479ba4b24dee361a5339d3da21f65abc.jpg

Are they going somewhere?  They produce new bottlings every year.  Granted, mainly in Europe, but also in the States.

On 2/6/2018 at 12:08 PM, Marekv8 said:

Curious to know how it is as well. They seem to tend to be underproofed (for me anyway) and rather overpriced especially given that lower proof and that it usually requires some effort to get one. I have a couple from a few years back, including a younger Guadeloupe, but haven't sought the brand out since.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:32 AM, Jamie76 said:

Are they going somewhere?  They produce new bottlings every year.  Granted, mainly in Europe, but also in the States.

Mr Samaroli died last year, so one never knows.

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Curious to know how it is as well. They seem to tend to be underproofed (for me anyway) and rather overpriced especially given that lower proof and that it usually requires some effort to get one. I have a couple from a few years back, including a younger Guadeloupe, but haven't sought the brand out since.

OK, here goes…

Very viscous and oily body-- I think the proof works well with the delicate flavors. Imagine a Delta Biscoff cookie made from resinous wood, spritzed with balsamic vinegar, dusted with sea salt and praline powder, wrapped in ultra-thin plastic shrink film and served warm. Significant woody, savory and drying finish that's still hanging in there.

IMG_8607.thumb.jpg.81ae35e11b240d96cd0171f9aca155c3.jpg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK, here goes…

Very viscous and oily body-- I think the proof works well with the delicate flavors. Imagine a Delta Biscoff cookie made from resinous wood, spritzed with balsamic vinegar, dusted with sea salt and praline powder, wrapped in ultra-thin plastic shrink film and served warm. Significant woody, savory and drying finish that's still hanging in there.

IMG_8607.thumb.jpg.81ae35e11b240d96cd0171f9aca155c3.jpg

Thank Goodness the melting plastic shrink film note came in there at the end.  Up to then, it had too many enjoyable sounding descriptors for this to be a good Rum...  :lol:

Thank Goodness the melting plastic shrink film note came in there at the end.  Up to then, it had too many enjoyable sounding descriptors for this to be a good Rum...  :lol:

Yeah, no baby poop? Yawn
  • I like it 1

Nice to have a local rhum agricole-- the distillery has family ties with a nearby sugar plantation-- so during the harvest season they can go from field to distillation in less than 24 hours. This is their first run, so there's some fine tuning needed-- but overall a great start. Narrowing it down to the cane field number takes terroir to a new level.

IMG_8618.thumb.JPG.b07f689117643c37f2a565c65ea3365a.JPG

IMG_8619.thumb.JPG.c6b084ec68e2fafebd887245e00f4aa8.JPG

17 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

No telling how long these guys were suffering on the shelf…

IMG_8631.thumb.jpg.0010acd70e6647b91a0fef5a428aa850.jpg

Porfidio is quite the oddball brand from what little I know of it. Owned by an Austrian, Martin Grassl, who produced tequila in Mexico using "secret methods" and always seemed to be under some kind of legal and/or physical "attack" by others in Mexico. I don't think I was aware they even made a rum but supposedly it has been around since the early 2000's. I have no idea if it is still being made. I wonder it f it is sourced agricole or really just a Martinique sourced molasses based rum. Or something else entirely...

13 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Porfidio is quite the oddball brand from what little I know of it. Owned by an Austrian, Martin Grassl, who produced tequila in Mexico using "secret methods" and always seemed to be under some kind of legal and/or physical "attack" by others in Mexico. I don't think I was aware they even made a rum but supposedly it has been around since the early 2000's. I have no idea if it is still being made. I wonder it f it is sourced agricole or really just a Martinique sourced molasses based rum. Or something else entirely...

I also have some of his Porfidio “The Dolce” tequila-based liqueur which is some trickbag stuff. Yes, apparently Grassi rubbed the old-school Jalisco folks the wrong way by introducing innovation and attention-to-detail to an archaic business-- basically the Tucker Torpedo of Tequila. I couldn't find a trace of info on this particular expression online-- I'll pop the cork this afternoon and give it a whirl. Given the condition of the label and the yellow price sticker (higher than what I paid), it has been around a while.

IMG_8632.thumb.jpg.351aca6a98388c53f7d2a23a958f30a1.jpg

A bit disappointed in the Porfidio-- I was hoping for something weird and it's a rather uninspiring molasses based rum. However, when quickly run against a series of other rum basics (with spit cup given my work schedule)-- it shone in terms of unique flavor, mouthfeel and finish.

IMG_8633.thumb.jpg.ea107952f156269f44e96654fd0544b8.jpg

IMG_8635.thumb.jpg.d187530d1dd393d2d034a1cb1613b81a.jpg

That's quite a line up of clear Rum. It's a taste I haven't completely acquired as yet, and your comments are much appreciated.  

Have you had a chance to try the Clarin offerings from Haiti?

1 hour ago, sailor22 said:

Have you had a chance to try the Clarin offerings from Haiti?

I have not tried the Clairin Agricoles. I had a bottle in my hand a few weeks back at Astor and re-shelved it in favor of a Capovilla Rhum Rhum. I'll be up there next week and will snag a few along with that crazy red Neisson 15 that's been itching me.

I've got plenty more standard issue white rum down here for reference/comparison purposes-- that was just what was handy last night. Anything in particular that piques your curiosity?

Dang it, I have a few bottles of rum but reading this thread makes me want to search more of them out.  I really need another expensive hobby! I only taste these as a change up from Bourbon

If I were going to limit myself to 2 bottles of rum a year, price point under $200 per bottle, what two would you target (I'm up for trying new things).  The bottles I already have are that I like for one reason or another are (except the Pussers - just picked that up yesterday and the jury is still out on it): 

Lost Spirits Distillery Navy Style Rum 
Real McCoy 12 Year Old 
Plantation 20th Anniversary Rum
Gosling's Old Rum  
Pusser's British Blue Label Rum  

El Dorado 12 YO Guyana  

Some that I have my eye on: 

Plantation Overproof

Havana Club Añejo 7 (from MoM)

FourSquare

Diplomatico 

Kill Devil

7 minutes ago, Dom said:

Dang it, I have a few bottles of rum but reading this thread makes me want to search more of them out.  I really need another expensive hobby! I only taste these as a change up from Bourbon

If I were going to limit myself to 2 bottles of rum a year, price point under $200 per bottle, what two would you target (I'm up for trying new things).  The bottles I already have are that I like for one reason or another are (except the Pussers - just picked that up yesterday and the jury is still out on it): 

Lost Spirits Distillery Navy Style Rum 
Real McCoy 12 Year Old 
Plantation 20th Anniversary Rum
Gosling's Old Rum  
Pusser's British Blue Label Rum  

El Dorado 12 YO Guyana  

Some that I have my eye on: 

Plantation Overproof

Havana Club Añejo 7 (from MoM)

FourSquare

Diplomatico 

Kill Devil

Well any of those are a good choice, though I would pass on the Diplomatico, depending which FourSquare you choose it may not be super far off profile from the RM12 you have, to me it looks like you need some funk in your life. I would pick up an Appleton 12, Smith and Cross, Hamilton Jamaican or St. Lucia. Sorry for going off script.

• I like it 1