What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Grabbed a barbancourt 8 for $21. I have the 15 and like it. If the 8 is nice, that price is a winner. 

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Grabbed a barbancourt 8 for $21. I have the 15 and like it. If the 8 is nice, that price is a winner. 

When I drink this, I always think, "Why didn't I get the 15?" Nice enough but, different.

Sipping a Barbancourt 15 myself. It is decent, but not what I expected at all. That is, it doesn't taste like an agricole, and I wanted it to...

Anyway, I actually often hear that the 8yo is the superior rum, but haven't tried it myself.

Picked this up today. Was a toss up between this and Barbancourt 8. I'm not much of a rum drinker but this sounded unique and interesting.

20180219_134810.jpg

Picked this up today. Was a toss up between this and Barbancourt 8. I'm not much of a rum drinker but this sounded unique and interesting.
20180219_134810.thumb.jpg.08ed466a17f117b5002b39c74e3527b4.jpg

Those are both great rums, but very different in taste profile. The Barbancourt 8 is usually much cheaper, so you can get it next time. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Those are both great rums, but very different in taste profile. The Barbancourt 8 is usually much cheaper, so you can get it next time. emoji3.png

Roughly half price of the Foursquare. Just took my first sip of this rum and wow! Definitely get some of the bourbon barrel influence with oak and tannins. I could nose this all day, it's very similar to a dessert in a glass. So glad I found this one!

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, emr454 said:

Roughly half price of the Foursquare. Just took my first sip of this rum and wow! Definitely get some of the bourbon barrel influence with oak and tannins. I could nose this all day, it's very similar to a dessert in a glass. So glad I found this one!

Also, you can find the barbancourt anytime, the foursquare not so much.

2 hours ago, jshleffar said:

Also, you can find the barbancourt anytime, the foursquare not so much.

Is the zinfandel cask a limited release?

50 minutes ago, emr454 said:

This particular batch is. It is the "Mark IV". Whether there will be more released down the line I can't say at present. Mark II was the port finish while Mark III was the 2004 BP version. Mark I as I understand it was a Barbados only release.

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

This particular batch is. It is the "Mark IV". Whether there will be more released down the line I can't say at present. Mark II was the port finish while Mark III was the 2004 BP version. Mark I as I understand it was a Barbados only release.

Hmm, much to the chagrin of my wife I may have to break out the plastic and clear the shelf 

3 hours ago, emr454 said:

Mr. Seale says there is no more at the distillery, though I'm sure it will linger for a while.

Picked up two more of these single barrel cask strength bottles of 19yo Caroni Rum today along with a bottle of a 17yo Nicaraguan that the Creative Whisky Company apparently sourced from the Flor de Cana distillery for their Exclusive Rums label.

a5082c5c81681cfeee63bbfb43b56461.jpg

• I like it 2

How does it taste?

You'll love the Caroni...and I actually do to! It's got that burnt rubber coming through on the nose and palate, but also a subtle hint of vanilla and burnt caramel sweetness on the finish, which lasts a long time. I think Bruce and some others will also like it...smokinjoe not so much. I haven't opened the Nicaraguan yet.

• I like it 1

When it comes to most Caronis I usually find cinnamon.

I'm horrible at tasting notes anyway, and you do remember that I'm still a rum novice. The next time I have a pour I'll see if I notice that. I've only had a couple of small pours of it right after I opened it last week to see if I liked it enough to go back to the store and buy some more today. I'll open the Nicaraguan soon to see if I like it enough to go back and buy the last bottle that I left on the shelf. I also left a bottle of the Caroni on the shelf...for good karma.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK Paul, you made me go back and have another pour of the Caroni, and you are correct about the cinnamon. I guess I never focused enough on that flavor to identify it but it's very evident now that you pointed it out to me. It's sorta like chewing on a whole cinnamon stick. It is definitely the most funky rum I've ever had...well maybe not quite as funky as that 23yo you let me try last April.

• I like it 1

It's the first time I've ever mentioned it to anyone, but I think it's the big Caroni note. We always talk about burnt rubber and other stuff, but after drinking a bunch of them and one in particular (the Cadenhead 175th anniversary HTR) I was like WOW, this is a cinnamon bomb. And after that I went back to all the others, and there it was.

Edited by The Black Tot

Well, I certainly don't have the experience that you do with Caroni or any rum for that matter. I do know that this may be the one and only Caroni that I ever come upon, so I'm stocking up on it since I like it so much. It's not cheap, but what spirit of that age (that is no longer being made) is cheap.

41 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I do know that this may be the one and only Caroni that I ever come upon, so I'm stocking up on it since I like it so much. 

There's still a LOT of it in warehouses. We've not seen the end of Caroni releases by a long shot

• I like it 1

There's still a LOT of it in warehouses. We've not seen the end of Caroni releases by a long shot

Yeah, but not many shops carry premium unadulterated rum in my area. I was actually shocked when I saw this on the shelf. I think the only reason it was there is because this store also carries some of The Exclusive Malts, so they were also able to get these Exclusive Rums that were bottled by the Creative Whisky Co.

Good to know that there may still be more Caroni choices in the future. The Nashville market has a distributor with access to more premium rums than the Memphis area, so I have found a few stores that I check out when I'm in the area. Lincoln Road Package store in Hattiesburg, MS also has some good rum selections, but no Foursquare yet.

Any idea how much is still aging? I’ve never seen figures on how many barrels they had aging when the distillery closed, nor how many were bought by independent bottlers (i.e. not blended away into Angostura’s blends or sold to other distilleries for their blends). I’m guessing Velier still has the largest stocks and I can’t imagine them tipping their cards and saying how much they have, because that may negatively impact what they can charge for their releases. The only other company I can think of that may have a good amount left is Bristol. The Creative Whisky Company doesn’t have any more and the other big independents’ releases have been few and far between for the last year or so.

I guess even if there are many more releases to come, if they’re coming from Velier, and if the recent 17yo USA release is any indication, they will be spendy.

The big on is obviously Velier, who haven't mentioned the impending doom of their stocks anytime soon.

Casks pop up in Europe with high frequency these days. With a designer label and a 300 euro price tag. They're coming from somewhere. 

Even DDL still has Caroni casks.

They'll be spendy only for as long as consumers have lost their marbles. I'm not saying I can put a date on that ending, but 300 euros for a bottle gets old pretty fast. In a few years I expect people will remember again that we're dealing with concentrated yeast shit in a bottle.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

The big on is obviously Velier, who haven't mentioned the impending doom of their stocks anytime soon.

Casks pop up in Europe with high frequency these days. With a designer label and a 300 euro price tag. They're coming from somewhere. 

Even DDL still has Caroni casks.

They'll be spendy only for as long as consumers have lost their marbles. I'm not saying I can put a date on that ending, but 300 euros for a bottle gets old pretty fast. In a few years I expect people will remember again that we're dealing with concentrated yeast shit in a bottle.

Don’t say “concentrated yeast shit” too loudly...That’ll sound delish to some and you’ll just create more hype for rums...  :lol:  

• I like it 2

Paul and Joe...you guys just crack me up sometimes with your truthful bluntness! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk