What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

In NYC, so I grabbed the Clairin series at Astor to give it a shot-- really nice value given the presentation and ABV. Of course the proof will be in the pours-- should be an interesting SBSBS given the three different distilleries.

IMG_8715.thumb.JPG.e6c76a1bc425662f1c4153cfd44a5826.JPG

14 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

In NYC, so I grabbed the Clairin series at Astor to give it a shot-- really nice value given the presentation and ABV. Of course the proof will be in the pours-- should be an interesting SBSBS given the three different distilleries.

Really curious how these are.

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

So far I've passed them up, looking forward to your impression.

Seeing that Haitian, I have a question. Barbancourt 15 tastes like a typical molasses rum. Is that because of:

- Barbancourt house style

- 15 yr agricole is too old to taste like agricole

- Haiti's take on agricole is somehow different

16 hours ago, Kane said:

Seeing that Haitian, I have a question. Barbancourt 15 tastes like a typical molasses rum. Is that because of:

- Barbancourt house style

- 15 yr agricole is too old to taste like agricole

- Haiti's take on agricole is somehow different

Barbancourt has long claimed that they make only agricole (rum from fresh cane juice). Given it is Haiti we are talking about probably only Barbancourt knows for sure! I have always thought a bit of cane syrup was in their products but have no proof.

Older agricole flavor is certainly impacted by increased time in the barrel but most I can recall still retain some of that vegetal quality that sets them apart to me.

21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I too am curious to hear your thoughts, especially the uniqueness of the different distilleries. I have been considering pulling the trigger on these for months since I tried some, mostly in cocktails, while in Paris last summer. But still haven't done so.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I too am curious to hear your thoughts, especially the uniqueness of the different distilleries. I have been considering pulling the trigger on these for months since I tried some, mostly in cocktails, while in Paris last summer. But still haven't done so.

I'm flying home with them now-- so I'll try to pop them open later tonight. It'll be a nice departure from the Delta Dewar's White Label.

2 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

It'll be a nice departure from the Delta Dewar's White Label.

Almost anything would be!

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm flying home with them now-- so I'll try to pop them open later tonight. It'll be a nice departure from the Delta Dewar's White Label.

Having grown up in a family where handles of Dewar's were standard issue party fare, I have to say that:

1. I am quite accustomed to it and a Dewar's on the rocks is enjoyable if only for nostalgia's sake

2. It was likely my first whiskey of any sort and I probably tried mixing it with everything on the counter

3. I probably have consumed more Dewar's than any other spirit especially if you bundle Dewar's 12 in for the total volume, only Wild Turkey or Appleton would likely be close.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Having grown up in a family where handles of Dewar's were standard issue party fare, I have to say that:

1. I am quite accustomed to it and a Dewar's on the rocks is enjoyable if only for nostalgia's sake

2. It was likely my first whiskey of any sort and I probably tried mixing it with everything on the counter

3. I probably have consumed more Dewar's than any other spirit especially if you bundle Dewar's 12 in for the total volume, only Wild Turkey or Appleton would likely be close.

I'm with you-- tomorrow night I'll be drinking from bottle of White Label my wife purchased in 1993 as a recipe component to her first "home cooked" meal in celebration of our 24th anniversary. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the juice I had on the flight home tonight.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm with you-- tomorrow night I'll be drinking from bottle of White Label my wife purchased in 1993 as a recipe component to her first "home cooked" meal in celebration of our 24th anniversary. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the juice I had on the flight home tonight.

I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular! Congrats!

8 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A nice series indeed. The SAJOUS is the funkiest, with a rotten bagasse punch-- the CASIMIR is a muted version of the same, and the VAVAL is completely different, with a delicate floral quality. Best variety bang for the buck in a long time.

IMG_8718.thumb.jpg.fd79a8b641638a94f2d0c3c3309e213d.jpg

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm sure it will be nothing short of spectacular! Congrats!

Many thanks-- I'll have some back-ups in the form of Rum and Single Malts on hand just in case.

Completed my Foursquare collection with the Port cask today. I had hesitations due to the low proof and added coloring, but caved in in the end. Can't be a terrible pick for ~$45.

And my phone just died on me while trying to take a pic, so out another $700...

This pair of BBRs had been banging around the distributor's warehouse for a while… along with the fill heights. 

IMG_8725.thumb.jpg.bda654ad58544e100584a9031c3d55ee.jpg

On 2/26/2018 at 2:06 AM, Kane said:

Completed my Foursquare collection with the Port cask today. I had hesitations due to the low proof and added coloring, but caved in in the end. Can't be a terrible pick for ~$45.

And my phone just died on me while trying to take a pic, so out another $700...

All you have to do is charge it...:rolleyes: man you must go through a lot of phones

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

All you have to do is charge it...:rolleyes: man you must go through a lot of phones

OK, that’s damn funny!  :lol:  Well played.  

• I like it 1

The beginning and hopefully the end of my rum rabbit hole. The revelation is stupid good.

20180302_220841.jpg

• I like it 2

It’s official.  Foursquare Rums now on more shelves nationwide than Maker’s Mark, and more total labels than Heaven Hill!   :lol:  

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

The beginning and hopefully the end of my rum rabbit hole. The revelation is stupid good.

20180302_220841.jpg

I absolutely love the revelation as well

It’s official.  Foursquare Rums now on more shelves nationwide than Maker’s Mark, and more total labels than Heaven Hill!   :lol:  

I wish! Nothing made by Foursquare is available in my area, while Maker's and Heaven Hill products are indeed everywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the revelation as well

If you can find a bottle of the Revelation Rye Cask Finish I highly recommend it.

Picked this up today. Been thinking about trying a bottle and saw this one on sale today, so I pulled the trigger.50d664f0832bfcdbdb765d08511b98d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can find a bottle of the Revelation Rye Cask Finish I highly recommend it.

Do you know if the rye cask finish was a special bottling for someone (a store or the distillery) or was it a wide release? I’ve seen the regular Revelation Rum many places but never the rye cask finish. The SA website doesn’t say http://smoothambler.com/spirits/revelation-rye-cask-rum/

It may have been a gift shop only release. A friend who knows John the master distiller at SA had a case shipped here to Florida.