What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Grabbed the last two bottles I know of it's a shame Mt Gay doesn't bottle this one anymore.

y4m3WbmgEaIrp8P4Eu3EkPjBuk1LlYFHRZNqK-wo

27 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Grabbed the last two bottles I know of it's a shame Mt Gay doesn't bottle this one anymore.

y4m3WbmgEaIrp8P4Eu3EkPjBuk1LlYFHRZNqK-wo

I don't think I've ever seen this 100-proof version. Time for a little dusty hunt!

Do you know when they stopped producing it?

4 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I don't think I've ever seen this 100-proof version. Time for a little dusty hunt!

Do you know when they stopped producing it?

Pretty sure it was replaced by Black Barrel in 2014, aside from being higher proof than Eclipse the Eclipse Black was a higher percentage of Pot Still Rum in the blend, even brought down to the proof of Eclipse I like the black better.

• I like it 1

The higher proof eclipse was one of my dusty hunting daze targets.

I probably have 20 of 'em. I aim to develop an ideal cocktail use for them.

46 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

The higher proof eclipse was one of my dusty hunting daze targets.

I probably have 20 of 'em. I aim to develop an ideal cocktail use for them.

It makes for a nice Rum Manhattan!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Never seen this RHUMB RUNNER series (from 359 Spirit Purveyors/Glass Revolution Imports), but the proofs are crazy steep i.e., the 8yo Fernandes is 75.8% ABV. Only two bottles of each came into the state, so I took a gamble.

IMG_8912.thumb.jpg.f2a7776c919af5e54282f21074652506.jpg

Nice finds and nice looking home bar selection behind it!

27 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Nice finds and nice looking home bar selection behind it!

Thanks-- but that's actually the bar set-up at the office. I only keep sacrificial bottles for my wife at home.

• I like it 1

Never seen this RHUMB RUNNER series (from 359 Spirit Purveyors/Glass Revolution Imports), but the proofs are crazy steep i.e., the 8yo Fernandes is 75.8% ABV. Only two bottles of each came into the state, so I took a gamble.

IMG_8912.thumb.jpg.f2a7776c919af5e54282f21074652506.jpg

Hmm that’s the first I’ve seen of the Rhumb Runners. The high proofs are really interesting - I wonder what their entry proofs are.

First I've seen of this Bacardi 10-- I'll have to try it SBS with the Eximo X

IMG_8962.thumb.jpg.db649839936ede8b184904a656a41478.jpg

IMG_8964.thumb.jpg.5aee470582860471498c017634b7c6be.jpg

Bacardi has really been moving into the "upscale" market a good bit of late. Hope it proves to be a step up.

• I like it 1

Nick Palazzi's take on well/house spirits… a 42% ABV Panamanian white rum which is really quite nice.

IMG_9003.thumb.jpg.db4873fdefcca10cf8225654d78f7dc3.jpg

Stopped in my old neighborhood liquor store from my early 20's and saw this sitting on the shelf, don't recall ever seeing this 10 year R.L. Seale on the shelf. Apparently the label used to light up and there is a speaker on the bottom that used to play music when you picked up the bottle, battery is long dead I would imagine. Cursory google research looks like this was from about 2002-2003 .

y4mS91ju0AVQMRST4-pqcUmMg-0y3p-GnMLXhs0M

• I like it 3

I saw this bottle sitting by itself on the shelf and felt like it needed a good home. Now I have 2 back-ups when my current bottle is finished.

962787cd385732a0694a476d9f996e0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 4

On 4/8/2018 at 1:16 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Bacardi has really been moving into the "upscale" market a good bit of late. Hope it proves to be a step up.

In trade publications Bacardi have mentioned that they have identified premium bottlings as an area that they can move into in a big way. Unfortunately they will likely not get the concept of a premium product in said bottle. 

When authenticity is gone and their product line is dominated by flavored (both disclosed and undisclosed) products it's hard to anticipate what they will consider premium juice.  

Personally I would be much more likely to give my "premium" dollars to an indy bottler who is clear about the source of the product that I would to Bacardi.  From Bacardi the best you could hope for is a somewhat different cocktail in a bottle.

3 hours ago, sailor22 said:

In trade publications Bacardi have mentioned that they have identified premium bottlings as an area that they can move into in a big way. Unfortunately they will likely not get the concept of a premium product in said bottle. 

When authenticity is gone and their product line is dominated by flavored (both disclosed and undisclosed) products it's hard to anticipate what they will consider premium juice.  

Personally I would be much more likely to give my "premium" dollars to an indy bottler who is clear about the source of the product that I would to Bacardi.  From Bacardi the best you could hope for is a somewhat different cocktail in a bottle.

Yes, one can always hope but I suspect much the same so it would be hard to convince me otherwise.

Intrigue got the better of me:

y4meMSo9Ycaa-BM4KO0zQHY_H9oivQMgf3mf1DYE

All of these were too interesting for me to pass them up, Oaxacan Sugar Cane Rum, A Worthy Park 6 year old imported by an American Craft and finished in Moscatel Sherry Casks bottled at 100 proof, A Coastal Agricole and of course a 6 Year old Jamaican I already know I love. 

• I like it 2

My local store (TWCP) announced that they just got the Foursquare Exceptional Casks 2005, Dominus and Premise.  After the bottles from last year that were utterly fantastic (my friends durn near killed the Criterion when I brought that out!), so I've ordered one of each.  Picking them up tomorrow on the way home.  Debating about more, will have to taste them first though.

Cannot WAIT for tomorrow!

Edited by Ravensfire

12 hours ago, Ravensfire said:

My local store (TWCP) announced that they just got the Foursquare Exceptional Casks 2005, Dominus and Premise.  After the bottles from last year that were utterly fantastic (my friends durn near killed the Criterion when I brought that out!), so I've ordered one of each.  Picking them up tomorrow on the way home.  Debating about more, will have to taste them first though.

Cannot WAIT for tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing more opinions on these, I myself put all three in the cart and then decided to pass, I have plenty of Bajan Rum at the moment and truth be told I don't find myself gravitating towards it often enough. When I find myself craving Rum/Rhum I more often than not find myself grabbing a bottle from Jamaica or St Lucia. 

Sampled quickly in Bardstown last weekend but really dug into it last night. Definitely a repeat buy if I have a chance.

MVIMG_20180504_231927.jpg

• I like it 2

On 5/5/2018 at 9:07 AM, callmeox said:

Sampled quickly in Bardstown last weekend but really dug into it last night. Definitely a repeat buy if I have a chance.

MVIMG_20180504_231927.jpg

I don’t see much discussion of Clement. Anything to know about this distillery? The TW website shows a $43 price for Clement VSOP near me and I am curious. 

I like Clement agricole, although the JM is still tops for me. 

State Line has a 4.5 year old private selection of Clement as well. 

I enjoy the VSOP for that price.  Spirit driven, complex, light and bright. 

The PS bottling reminds me of Orange Cream-cicle.   

This makes next weekend seem very far away…

IMG_9112.thumb.jpg.da3c13922909086a46795c7454641432.jpg

• I like it 1

This makes next weekend seem very far away…

IMG_9112.thumb.jpg.da3c13922909086a46795c7454641432.jpg

Sweet! I wish we had seen those yesterday where we were shopping!

38 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Sweet! I wish we had seen those yesterday where we were shopping!

Agreed-- the FedEx Ground truck dropped them off first thing this morning, I had ordered them a while back.

I have a feeling it'll be a while before they materialize in Louisiana, and probably only two of three at that point. Only a few bottles of Criterion trickled in last year and Beachbum Berry's laid claim to the lot from what I was told.

Great to meet you yesterday.

Regards, Dave

• I like it 1