What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Ive been refreshing KL multiple times a day waiting to see them pop up. Didnt feel like paying astor markup plus shipping.

All these pics mobilized me today, I checked my usual Foursquare spot, but alas, no luck. Of course, they had even higher heaps of the Zinfandel and 2004, I don't know where they keep getting these from.

Edited by Kane

Agreed-- the FedEx Ground truck dropped them off first thing this morning, I had ordered them a while back.

I have a feeling it'll be a while before they materialize in Louisiana, and probably only two of three at that point. Only a few bottles of Criterion trickled in last year and Beachbum Berry's laid claim to the lot from what I was told.

Great to meet you yesterday.

Regards, Dave

Great to meet you too! Let us know how the 2005 compares to the 2004. I'm sure Bruce will get around to doing a SBS comparison at some point too.

Just got the Mark VI, premise and dominus. KL has it now for us CA people.

Picked up a Flor de Caña Gran Reserva. Has a very strong cane note.  Mt. Gay XO is my usual drinker but I thought I would try something different. Has anyone tried the FdC 18 YO?  Is it worth the money. 

31 minutes ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Picked up a Flor de Caña Gran Reserva. Has a very strong cane note.  Mt. Gay XO is my usual drinker but I thought I would try something different. Has anyone tried the FdC 18 YO?  Is it worth the money. 

So, to me, it's fine. For that money Id track down a lot of other options though. For a little less money I'd prefer Real Mccoy 12, Appleton 12, Barbancourt offerings, Santa Teresa 1796.

13 hours ago, jshleffar said:

So, to me, it's fine. For that money Id track down a lot of other options though. For a little less money I'd prefer Real Mccoy 12, Appleton 12, Barbancourt offerings, Santa Teresa 1796.

I agree, the FdC 18 is not an objectionable rum, but it's pretty basic and there isn't much going on with it. I think it's a $20 rum personally. There are a number of rums that cost about half as much that I prefer, Appleton 12, El Dorado 12, Bacardi 8 year, St Lucia Chairman's Reserve, etc. At the $50-ish range I would spend a bit more and pick up something from Foursquare (2004?) or get a Pusser's 15.

It all depends on what you're after though, if you want sweet, smooth and easy to drink, the FcD 18 is certainly that.

Edited by EarthQuake

Thanks.  I have been looking hard at the Appleton.  Not a Bacardi fan at all.  I would much prefer DonQ over Bacardi but I can’t get it here.  I do like the cane forward note on the FdC and at ~20 a bottle that is not bad. However the FdC Centario 18 is $50 and a bigger commitment.  I really appreciate the recommendations and will pick up an Appletons to add to my Rum collection.  

Has anyone tried the Hawaiian rums? I have a dark and vanilla from Tahiti that is good and have seen the Hawaiian rums but cannot find them in my area.

2 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Thanks.  I have been looking hard at the Appleton.  Not a Bacardi fan at all.  I would much prefer DonQ over Bacardi but I can’t get it here.  I do like the cane forward note on the FdC and at ~20 a bottle that is not bad. However the FdC Centario 18 is $50 and a bigger commitment.  I really appreciate the recommendations and will pick up an Appletons to add to my Rum collection.  

Has anyone tried the Hawaiian rums? I have a dark and vanilla from Tahiti that is good and have seen the Hawaiian rums but cannot find them in my area.

I'm not a Bacardi fan in general either, but that 8 year at $20-25 or so, it's very good. Quite drinkable neat and awesome in cocktails. If you like Mount Gay XO I would say there is a solid chance you will like Bacardi 8 too.

I was in Hawaii recently and brought back a sample pack of the Koloa rums. I think there was a silver, a gold, a coconut and a spiced version. None of them were particularly interesting.

While I was there I went to KoHana and did a tour and tasting though, and that stuff was a lot more interesting but rather expensive for what it is. They have some unaged rums which have a very new-make thing similar to a lot of craft whiskey. Very much a big funky agricole style or the unage ones. Their aged rum was a lot more interesting, and pretty good even. My favorite was the aged barrel proof rum that they finished in bourbon and scotch barrels. That was the only one that really impressed me, but at $75 or so for a half bottle it's hard to recommend unless you're really looking for something unique.

Edited by EarthQuake

Was passing by the TW and while browsing found a few bottles of the 2004. One came home with me for $80 as well as the Clement for $42.

The Clement is unlike anything I’ve had in my young rum journey. I like unique. 

B353CAF5-2FF7-4F3B-A094-473161FA6EBC.jpeg

I only picked up the 10yo, but I found where all of the Hamilton St. Lucia CS is hiding. 

IMG_9315.thumb.JPG.945aa0a1513550d5b0afed1bae46d41d.JPG

• I like it 3

I only picked up the 10yo, but I found where all of the Hamilton St. Lucia CS is hiding. 

Wow! Let me know if you go back there...wherever that is. I’d definitely be interested in the 10yo.

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I grabbed a 10 cask strength from Binny's the last time I was in Chicago, it's great!

On 5/22/2018 at 7:32 PM, lcpfratn said:

Wow! Let me know if you go back there...wherever that is. I’d definitely be interested in the 10yo.

It was at the Lincoln Park Binny's-- sorry, I didn't make a return visit and it was not in stock at the Downtown store. The dusty shop I went to last night had an 18yo Rattray Caroni which I didn't have room for-- lot of nice finds in this market. 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It was at the Lincoln Park Binny's-- sorry, I didn't make a return visit and it was not in stock at the Downtown store. The dusty shop I went to last night had an 18yo Rattray Caroni which I didn't have room for-- lot of nice finds in this market. 

I'm 2/3 of the way through a bottle of that 18yo Rattray Caroni and it's pretty darn good. It may just be my imagination but it seems to get better as it sits.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'm 2/3 of the way through a bottle of that 18yo Rattray Caroni and it's pretty darn good. It may just be my imagination but it seems to get better as it sits.

Sounds good-- at least I know where it is. Based on my Scotch purchase-- I can return ten years from now (if I'm still living) and find it there for the same price.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:08 PM, Marekv8 said:

Never seen this RHUMB RUNNER series (from 359 Spirit Purveyors/Glass Revolution Imports), but the proofs are crazy steep i.e., the 8yo Fernandes is 75.8% ABV. Only two bottles of each came into the state, so I took a gamble.

IMG_8912.thumb.jpg.f2a7776c919af5e54282f21074652506.jpg

How'd you end up liking the Trinidad 8yo? That's the only one that's shown up around here. I thought you'd posted some notes but I could only find your notes on the 18yo.

2 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

How'd you end up liking the Trinidad 8yo? That's the only one that's shown up around here. I thought you'd posted some notes but I could only find your notes on the 18yo.

I'm flying home now and can post some notes over the weekend. The Fernandes 8 was Jamie Farris' top pick of the three-- and they're all ass-kickers in my book.

5 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

I'm flying home now and can post some notes over the weekend. The Fernandes 8 was Jamie Farris' top pick of the three-- and they're all ass-kickers in my book.

Much appreciated! Notes would be great if you have time. It's helpful knowing that Jamie liked it the most too. I met him briefly in Bardstown for the Sampler - he seemed like a nice guy with a good palate.

10 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

Much appreciated! Notes would be great if you have time. It's helpful knowing that Jamie liked it the most too. I met him briefly in Bardstown for the Sampler - he seemed like a nice guy with a good palate.

He's a speak softly, carry a big pick kinda guy-- especially given what he's up against in Mississippi.

• I like it 1

Stopped by TW today while picking up a suit from a tailor near by.   Picked up a few Foursquare products.  RL Seale which was on sale for $22.99, Dorleys XO and 12 yr 

On 5/24/2018 at 6:10 PM, Marekv8 said:

OK, here's where I netted out with the Fernandes 8…

This is an intensely spicy and fruity spirit. Just for grins, I slowly took the 75.8% ABV down step by step to about half that to determine how much of the intensity was alcohol related-- and it only served to slow (but not diminish) the delivery of freshly sliced sushi bar ginger and the waxy "Hot Tamales" candy (from my childhood when it was made with cane sugar). This transitions into a finish of salty dried banana chips and mango chutney. I've got a second pour which I'll leave covered for a few hours to see how it holds up after a diverse flight of Scotch.

IMG_9390.thumb.jpg.53b0751016f6c196ca17c4d51cf6f4c9.jpg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK, here's where I netted out with the Fernandes 8…

This is an intensely spicy and fruity spirit. Just for grins, I slowly took the 75.8% ABV down step by step to about half that to determine how much of the intensity was alcohol related-- and it only served to slow (but not diminish) the delivery of freshly sliced sushi bar ginger and the waxy "Hot Tamales" candy (from my childhood when it was made with cane sugar). This transitions into a finish of salty dried banana chips and mango chutney. I've got a second pour which I'll leave covered for a few hours to see how it holds up after a diverse flight of Scotch.

IMG_9390.thumb.jpg.53b0751016f6c196ca17c4d51cf6f4c9.jpg

Interested to see how this fares particularly after the Ardbeg and Laphroaig bruisers.