What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

15 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Interested to see how this fares particularly after the Ardbeg and Laphroaig bruisers.

It actually held up fine-- no water added, but 5 hours in a covered glass. My palate was indeed fried-- but it still delivered albeit slower and less dramatic.

• I like it 1

Had to travel to the other side of town to one of the mega LS to find these, but it's good to know it's available.  The 2005 came home with me, and already have a Zin Cask.  I broke open the 2005, and all I can say is wow.  To put it in bourbon terms, that 2005 is the GTS of my rum world.  Granted, my rum world is still a couple dozen bottles, but that complexity and finish is amazing.

20180526_152847-3024x1470.jpg

• I like it 5

OK, here's where I netted out with the Fernandes 8…

This is an intensely spicy and fruity spirit. Just for grins, I slowly took the 75.8% ABV down step by step to about half that to determine how much of the intensity was alcohol related-- and it only served to slow (but not diminish) the delivery of freshly sliced sushi bar ginger and the waxy "Hot Tamales" candy (from my childhood when it was made with cane sugar). This transitions into a finish of salty dried banana chips and mango chutney. I've got a second pour which I'll leave covered for a few hours to see how it holds up after a diverse flight of Scotch.

IMG_9390.thumb.jpg.53b0751016f6c196ca17c4d51cf6f4c9.jpg

Thanks for the notes! It’s pretty crazy that even at half strength this is still damn near 80 proof. I’m gonna have to pick one up.

Well, I guess I technically didn't buy it yet, but my pops swung by his local Binny's and grabbed a couple of Foursquare 2004 for me.  Bought a Zin Cask last time I visited, and remembered the 2004 being there too.  Now the 2005 is added to the offerings.  The 05 is available locally, though.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in the LS as usual on delivery day.  Nothing interesting bourbon wise, but they got in a new rum.  Not a high dollar bottle, but worth a try.  Cross Keys was the brand, it's a 5 yr Barbados rum, imported and bottled for corporate branding.  In other words, stores can order this as a house label...  

I understand its marginally a sipper, but a very good mixer.  We'll see.  At $20, I can afford that.  At least I can be relatively sure what's in the bottle since its from Barbados. 

Purchased a Foursquare 2004 today. I have been on the fence a long while doing a bit of research and talking with a couple folks whose appreciation for and knowledge of rum, among other spirits, I appreciate and trust. Purchases these days are few and far between and solely of the quality type. The proliferation of additives in many rums greatly complicates what I would consider for purchase. The great resource that SB always is helped cut through a good amount of clutter as well. The 2005 is starting to appear so I thought if I was ever going to get off my ass and wade into the rum pool and if a 2004 crossed my path, I would start there. 

• I like it 1

Purchased a Foursquare 2004 today. I have been on the fence a long while doing a bit of research and talking with a couple folks whose appreciation for and knowledge of rum, among other spirits, I appreciate and trust. Purchases these days are few and far between and solely of the quality type. The proliferation of additives in many rums greatly complicates what I would consider for purchase. The great resource that SB always is helped cut through a good amount of clutter as well. The 2005 is starting to appear so I thought if I was ever going to get off my ass and wade into the rum pool and if a 2004 crossed my path, I would start there. 

Foursquare 2004 is a really fine rum that I think you will be very happy with. I’ll probably have to travel a bit to find the 2005, just like I had to for the 2004, but I’m looking forward to that one as well.
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the last couple of years this has been my “Garth's Excalibur”-- staring at it longingly through the glass case at every visit to the store and talking myself out of it. The Rhum Devil was certainly on my shoulder last night…

IMG_9746.thumb.JPG.1afd8f329e27e656b66e7473de9b650e.JPG

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

For the last couple of years this has been my “Garth's Excalibur”-- staring at it longingly through the glass case at every visit to the store and talking myself out of it. The Rhum Devil was certainly on my shoulder last night…

IMG_9746.thumb.JPG.1afd8f329e27e656b66e7473de9b650e.JPG

Excaliber indeed! No doubt very tasty but I have never been able to pull the trigger on that one either. As I recall it is typically twice the cost of the few other readily available 15 year old agricole options. I will have to make do with the Niesson Reserve for now.

And the Rhum Devil is not welcome at my house right now!  :lol:

10 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Excaliber indeed! No doubt very tasty but I have never been able to pull the trigger on that one either. As I recall it is typically twice the cost of the few other readily available 15 year old agricole options. I will have to make do with the Niesson Reserve for now.

And the Rhum Devil is not welcome at my house right now!  :lol:

The only positive spin is that it's a 1L bottle-- which is significant in the scheme of things. Too bad you're not coming down to TOTC-- we could knock out this along with some Black Tot and a few Capovillas.

Just now, Marekv8 said:

The only positive spin is that it's a 1L bottle-- which is significant in the scheme of things. Too bad you're not coming down to TOTC-- we could knock out this along with some Black Tot and a few Capovillas.

I see what you are doing there...

B)

5 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I see what you are doing there...

B)

By the way-- I came across this icon in Milford, CT yesterday and thought of you…

IMG_9734.thumb.jpg.e98b39473817b5127e44a73a33c99f6a.jpg

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

By the way-- I came across this icon in Milford, CT yesterday and thought of you…

IMG_9734.thumb.jpg.e98b39473817b5127e44a73a33c99f6a.jpg

That's a keeper!

Grabbed a Chairmans Reserve Forgotten Cask and 1931 3rd edition at the duty free.  Still hoping to tour SLD and pick up a few others.

• I like it 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, gurgalunas said:

Had to travel to the other side of town to one of the mega LS to find these, but it's good to know it's available.  The 2005 came home with me, and already have a Zin Cask.  I broke open the 2005, and all I can say is wow.  To put it in bourbon terms, that 2005 is the GTS of my rum world.  Granted, my rum world is still a couple dozen bottles, but that complexity and finish is amazing.

20180526_152847-3024x1470.jpg

A very nice lineup indeed... I know this is a little late- but if the Premise is still there you might consider investing in a bottle- it's quite a gem

I grabbed backup bottles of the Foursquare 2005 and Dominus

Hell, I’d like to get my first bottles of those, but I’ll have to make a road trip to Nashville to have a chance at finding any.

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Hell, I’d like to get my first bottles of those, but I’ll have to make a road trip to Nashville to have a chance at finding any.

You could always come out to California! ????

You could always come out to California! ????

Not this time, but I do want to visit middle to northern California someday. I’ve been to southern California several times, not including my days spent at Camp Pendleton back in the late 70s, but I’ve never made it farther north than the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez Valley area.

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Not this time, but I do want to visit middle to northern California someday. I’ve been to southern California several times, not including my days spent at Camp Pendleton back in the late 70s, but I’ve never made it farther north than the Santa Barbara/Santa Ynez Valley area.

That's right, I forgot you were at Pendleton. A NorCal road/rum trip would be fun, beautiful, and fruitful for sure. Let me know when you make it happen!

• I like it 1

On 4/21/2018 at 1:31 PM, NDN98 said:

I saw this bottle sitting by itself on the shelf and felt like it needed a good home. Now I have 2 back-ups when my current bottle is finished.

962787cd385732a0694a476d9f996e0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having read the reviews and lurking in the Rum subforum for a few weeks here, I decided to bite the bullet today and pick this one up. I couldn’t be happier. I can’t wait to try other Foursquare offerings.

• I like it 2

On 7/3/2018 at 8:50 PM, DeepCover said:

Having read the reviews and lurking in the Rum subforum for a few weeks here, I decided to bite the bullet today and pick this one up. I couldn’t be happier. I can’t wait to try other Foursquare offerings.

Im excited for you, there's some great stuff out there from foursquare.

• I like it 2

12 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Im excited for you, there's some great stuff out there from foursquare.

Thanks! I’m one of the many converts from bourbon, but don’t hold that against me. I’m certainly in on the 2005 Foursquare. I’ve the reviews on the latest release and can’t wait to check it out. We haven’t seen it in TX yet though. I’ve probably seen at least 10 bottles of the 2004 left on the shelves in Houston in the last week. It’s refreshing, frankly. 

Just got back from the Dominican Republic and brought back 4 bottles of Havana Club 7 (and some Blanton’s). I tried 10-12 Dominican rums, several of which were more expensive than HC7, but I kept going back to it in lieu of the local rums, so I decided to stock up.  I have no idea what a good price for this rum is, but the liquor store close to the resort was asking $30 for the Havana Club 7, but the duty free shop in the airport had a special where you could get 2 of the 1 liters for $45.IMG_8534.JPG

Edited by NDN98

Picked this up after tasting it and many other rums and scotch in a Liquor Store in Denmark. It's NAS, but very nice stuff with nothing added and NCF.
IMG_0286.JPG

• I like it 1