What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Braunstein Distillery in Denmark had a bad experience importing used rum barrels from the Caribbean to use in finishing some of their single malt whisky...the used barrels suffered from severe molding during transport. So rather than importing used barrels, they decided to go to the Virgin Islands and select full barrels of aged rum from Cruzan and import them to Denmark and sell the rum as a private selection small batch. This is supposedly 22yo rum, according to my discussion with Michael Braunstein, even though the age isn't stated. They don't put age statements on their whisky either, but they'll tell you how old it is if you ask. I found this to be a very good rum bottled at cask strength with no additives. I picked up a couple of the 35cl bottles and will bring at least one of them home with me.
IMG_0284.JPG

• I like it 2

On my way out of StL, I snuck a last LS stop into the family trip.  "Hey honey, you want to stop for wings at the old hangout?"  We lived in StL in the mid 90s, and spent our trip revisiting our old haunts, so it was an easy sell.  I didnt mention that there was a TW across the street until we were already there.

Found a couple bottles I'd been looking for in the run aisle.  Nothing wild and crazy, but to someone from the midwest, any new selections are good...  Rum just doesn't show up here.

20180709_184541-1470x3024.jpg

• I like it 4

2 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

Picked this one up yesterday.

Excellent find. I still couldn't find any in all my search, but a couple weeks ago finally tasted it at a bar, which made me even more anxious to buy a bottle or five.

• I like it 2

Came across this one today in a small grocery store. Not expecting much, but the haphazard bilingual labeling at least dials in a bit of craftiness (plus, it was cheap). 

IMG_9960.thumb.jpg.7a8b25e1c9ccc507a6f5be3ac96a0ef0.jpg

• I like it 2

The wife wanted to head to the south side of town for some shopping, and the destination just happened to be near one of the liquor superstores.  I went along to grab a backup bottle of FS2005, but they were out.  Based on the suggestion of @RWBadley, I grabbed a FS Premise instead.  Wise choice...

Also found a Smith and Cross.  A much different animal, but good in a different way.  I'm diggin' it, makes me want to dive into some of the less obvious Jamaican rums (not Appleton).  It got me to dig out a bottle of Galleon Dark to try, after being relegated to mixing with cider before I knew any better.  I've not tried Rhum Babencort yet, but think it's on the horizon.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love these 2 hard to find Foursquare releases!

The Batavia is new to me.

0730181742-1.jpg

• I like it 3

Went to a spirits tasting last week, and by gosh, I finally found a rum I like!

Must be the American oak barrel its aged in :D

rum.jpg

5 hours ago, Nomad said:

0730181742-1.jpg

The Real McCoy bottles (3 yr, 5 yr, 7 yr) seem to be on every shelf in KC these days, from LS to Grocery Stores.  I like the 12 a lot, haven't gotten too far into the 5 bottle yet.  They are no "Exceptional Cask Selection", but very drinkable.

Haven't seen Port Cask, but have enjoyed Zin Cask, 2004, 2005, and Premise a lot.  That series is a gem...

Must be the American oak barrel its aged in [emoji3]

rum.thumb.jpg.f532c554a49b634d388b8d0022601cdb.jpg

Or all the sugar that's added to it! [emoji6]
  • I like it 3

The Port Cask would be perfect at a bit higher %, but it's damn fine as is. The RM 12 SE is several steps above the regular Real McCoy. The exceptional cask series has a quite high batting average, with the Premise being my least favorite, yet still good.

The '04 and '05 are worth seeking out too.

6 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Must be the American oak barrel its aged in :D

Gary, no!!!

I will fix this next time I'm in North America! Or you let me know when next you're in London!

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Nomad said:

0730181742-1.jpg

If you like the van Oosten Batavia-Arrack, you might try the "By the Dutch" expression. The barrel maturation works in the same capacity as many aged agricoles-- knocking some extremities off of the funkiness and adding wood-based complexity. Still available in New Orleans when I was down for TOTC.

IMG_0578.thumb.jpg.688106c2f66b15590029b545f6343b22.jpg

Some post were lost in the crash last night, but thanks Marekv8 for the Keife and Co answer.

Edited by Nomad

Added a Doorlys XO and 12yr. I am set with rum for a good long time. Thanks to the speldid resources here on SB for steering my in the foursquare direction.

On 8/1/2018 at 1:22 AM, The Black Tot said:

Gary, no!!!

I will fix this next time I'm in North America! Or you let me know when next you're in London!

LOL, Paul. I'm the first to admit I'm a rank amateur when it comes to rum. Enlighten me! :) 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Vosgar said:

LOL, Paul. I'm the first to admit I'm a rank amateur when it comes to rum. Enlighten me! :) 

It’s pretty simple, Gary.  The worse it tastes, the better it is! ;)

deisel/burning rubber/rotting vegetation > caramel/vanilla/butterscotch. :D

• I like it 3

It’s pretty simple, Gary.  The worse it tastes, the better it is! [emoji6]

deisel/burning rubber/rotting vegetation > caramel/vanilla/butterscotch. [emoji3]

LOL! Not exactly, but the descriptions do sometimes make one think that.

I suppose it's not too early over here in the UK for Joe to drive me to drink...

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s pretty simple, Gary.  The worse it tastes, the better it is! ;)

deisel/burning rubber/rotting vegetation > caramel/vanilla/butterscotch. :D

Joe you left out this gem...

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:09 AM, jshleffar said:

Alright i've dug back in tonight, I still get the overripe baked apple in a big way. The dry smoke is coming in brown butter and overdone burnt ends out of a smoker, nut less intense than the first time. Still the plastic and pineapple. The oddest note I'm finding is a touch of redbull and breast milk only baby poop (yeah we're getting weird but it's very distinct and they smell the same to me) and this isnt meant as a turn off. It's weird funky but nowhere near as difficult as say, the GD 9 year monymusk. The aftertaste is bruleed overripe banana. Still very smooth for the proof. Still really enjoy this.

That being said I'm certainly on the bring on the weird shit side of the fence!

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Joe you left out this gem...

That being said I'm certainly on the bring on the weird shit side of the fence!

LOL!  How could I forget?!  That was a classic.  :D

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

But everyone loves it when Serge at whiskyfun does it...

This Serge?  Of espresso fame?  :D

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

This Serge?  Of espresso fame?  :D

The same. Yes.

17 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Added a Doorlys XO and 12yr. I am set with rum for a good long time. Thanks to the speldid resources here on SB for steering my in the foursquare direction.

But of course what is the definition of  "for a good long time?"

Around my house it could be as little as a weekend ???? 

Edited by RWBadley
  • I like it 1