What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Velier had a nice presence at the Bar Convent Brooklyn last week but I did not see the Clairin Communal (agree that blending seems at odds with what these releases are all about). I picked up the Clairin Le Rocher @ Astor while in the city and had it shipped home-- and yes, the Hereditas came direct from TWE and was here when I arrived home. I'll post notes once I get these open-- if I can stay off the road for a moment.

Regards, Dave

• I like it 2

Picked this up while going through  Mississippi last week at Lincoln liquor store. 

29B25903-8686-4E00-99D7-16AD7FB03AA4.thumb.jpeg.f7d0705af0543907b97c0817524fb8ab.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 6/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, Marekv8 said:

Velier had a nice presence at the Bar Convent Brooklyn last week but I did not see the Clairin Communal (agree that blending seems at odds with what these releases are all about). I picked up the Clairin Le Rocher @ Astor while in the city and had it shipped home-- and yes, the Hereditas came direct from TWE and was here when I arrived home. I'll post notes once I get these open-- if I can stay off the road for a moment.

Regards, Dave

Jealous that you can get TWE to even ship to you. Last time I tried it was apparently a complete no go to Georgia. Less than 20 states are on their list and none are in the southeast except Louisiana thanks to our dumbass liquor laws. 

BTW how is the Le Rocher? Worth trying to track down or have shipped from Astor? While I still can...

Edited by tanstaafl2

12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Picked this up while going through  Mississippi last week at Lincoln liquor store. 

29B25903-8686-4E00-99D7-16AD7FB03AA4.thumb.jpeg.f7d0705af0543907b97c0817524fb8ab.jpeg

Nice pick-up. Jamie sure does a nice job with his rum inventory in Hattiesburg.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Jealous that you can get TWE to even ship to you. Last time I tried it was apparently a complete no go to Georgia. Less than 20 states are on their list and none are in the southeast except Louisiana thanks to our dumbass liquor laws. 

BTW how is the Le Rocher? Worth trying to track down or have shipped from Astor? While I still can...

I have yet to open either bottle, and it may be a few weeks due to my travel schedule.

Funny thing is, I just got an email from a great LS owner that the Le Rocher just hit Louisiana-- along with the Clairin Vaval. I'm assuming this is a pre-TOTC measure, as Velier is sponsoring one of the sold out rum seminars (Gimme the Dirt! The Terroir of Cane Spirits), for which luckily I have a ticket.

Finally pulled the trigger. Sounds like it has a lot going for it. Haven’t really explored rum, so looking forward to this side of the forum.

CEB85E21-2959-4012-A0FD-A0FF649AFA54.jpeg

• I like it 3

Finally pulled the trigger. Sounds like it has a lot going for it. Haven’t really explored rum, so looking forward to this side of the forum.
CEB85E21-2959-4012-A0FD-A0FF649AFA54.thumb.jpeg.8819d98a981fa855c4ebeedecb358cf3.jpeg

It’s a good one. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
  • I like it 1

On 6/18/2019 at 7:10 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Last time I checked Washington State was also on the no go list so I feel your pain.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Last time I checked Washington State was also on the no go list so I feel your pain.

I had not checked in a while but it looks like shipments to the Garden State are back, I have been passing on all of the Foursquare releases since Criterion but I'm somewhat tempted by this one.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, raymoall said:

CEB85E21-2959-4012-A0FD-A0FF649AFA54.jpeg

Does this have a cork or is it screw top?

17 hours ago, jwperry said:

Does this have a cork or is it screw top?

It has a cork, unlike the first round of Foursquare bottles (Port and Zin finish and the 2004), which did have a screw top. They are artificial cork which I like over natural cork.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It has a cork, unlike the first round of Foursquare bottles (Port and Zin finish and the 2004), which did have a screw top. They are artificial cork which I like over natural cork.

Thanks. 

I have the 2004 open, but have the 2005 & Premise stored in my 'bunker'. Problem is, my bunker is running out of room so I need to store some sideways on a rack. Was hoping they were screw top too so I could lay them on their side. 

Thanks. 
I have the 2004 open, but have the 2005 & Premise stored in my 'bunker'. Problem is, my bunker is running out of room so I need to store some sideways on a rack. Was hoping they were screw top too so I could lay them on their side. 

I wonder if you won’t be ok if using an artificial cork? I’m sure some senior members can chime in.

I wonder if you won’t be ok if using an artificial cork? I’m sure some senior members can chime in.
I've had some whiskey degrade the fake Cork and had them come apart. I can't say the flavor profile was changed though. My concern is rum will do the same. These bottles ain't cheap!
I did some rearranging and added another box to my closet bunker to help ease some space.
  • I like it 1

I've had some whiskey degrade the fake Cork and had them come apart. I can't say the flavor profile was changed though. My concern is rum will do the same. These bottles ain't cheap!
I did some rearranging and added another box to my closet bunker to help ease some space.

Ok good to know, also in general I don’t like the idea of storing whiskey on its side, even screw tops are prone to leak.

Guess you’ll need to get busy making some shelf space.
  • I like it 1

Ok good to know, also in general I don’t like the idea of storing whiskey on its side, even screw tops are prone to leak.

Guess you’ll need to get busy making some shelf space.
I'm hoping them being in a cool, dark space will keep them from leaking. But I have the same concerns and certainly wouldn't do it if they were going to be subjected to temperature fluctuations or anything higher than low end room temp

Picked up a 4S. I’m sure it’s going to be good, everything I’ve had from them so far has been. 

0BDF3912-2F0E-445E-82B8-67463E39EB27.thumb.jpeg.4168ca6b272550cbe940fba2938054d1.jpeg

• I like it 4

Picked up a 4S. I’m sure it’s going to be good, everything I’ve had from them so far has been. 
0BDF3912-2F0E-445E-82B8-67463E39EB27.thumb.jpeg.4168ca6b272550cbe940fba2938054d1.jpeg

You’ve been picking up a lot of solid rims lately.
  • I like it 1

Quite like this one. Extremely dry and woody-- with a thinner and more astringent mouthfeel than Criterion. Close in many ways to the Neisson 15 (at fraction of the price) with a haunting G&M "Distillery Label" Scapa 10 profile running through it.

IMG_1738.thumb.jpg.aa10217506869d387aef70ada6b60780.jpg

• I like it 1

On 6/29/2019 at 6:03 PM, Marekv8 said:

Quite like this one. Extremely dry and woody-- with a thinner and more astringent mouthfeel than Criterion. Close in many ways to the Neisson 15 (at fraction of the price) with a haunting G&M "Distillery Label" Scapa 10 profile running through it.

IMG_1738.thumb.jpg.aa10217506869d387aef70ada6b60780.jpg

Have you compared it to Empery? A single barrel pick will likely be at least somewhat different but it seems like it might be from the same general blend of rums.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Have you compared it to Empery? A single barrel pick will likely be at least somewhat different but it seems like it might be from the same general blend of rums.

I don’t have the Empery, so no way to tell. I picked this one up based on past experiences with TWE picks. 

Guess Foursquare had a good number of 14 year old barrels hanging around for releases this year? \y4mqjbMD7O6ehxXn2jyPcUKYK1NFh-OEGcU1pkNl

• I like it 2

Guess Foursquare had a good number of 14 year old barrels hanging around for releases this year? \y4mqjbMD7O6ehxXn2jyPcUKYK1NFh-OEGcU1pkNlyaCqfuggkulLn_lBz_b7rO99V3My_L8xWFO4AK1idZRPgk5DBHA_mfN7G-fpUiniCqsZ4UOYsm0ho7tjZLvKtbA-PlcMcxMfngn8fu7Sr3Qqq9hW1KpwcCOwj2V9OM211Lh1k1GOqK8C9zwf5XsXc3JTJmC?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Ooh, that’s interesting! I might actually get to see one of those in my market since Real McCoy is the only Foursquare product we have in this area. Let me know what you think if you decide to open it any time soon. If you don’t mind me asking, what is it selling for...even though I know I’ll have to pay more here?

8 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Ooh, that’s interesting! I might actually get to see one of those in my market since Real McCoy is the only Foursquare product we have in this area. Let me know what you think if you decide to open it any time soon. If you don’t mind me asking, what is it selling for...even though I know I’ll have to pay more here?

It was $55 in NYC plus a got a 10% discount, NY is typically priced higher than other markets but this store seemed to be unusually fair based on other stuff on the shelf.

• I like it 2

I really like Real McCoy 12, so that looks intriguing!
$55 would be about the same step up i see in the other products in their line up.