What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Get the plata, anejo or both? And yes I know the correct answer is both but if he can only bring me one what do I go for? Anejo?

Get the plata. It will give you the best picture of what the distillate is about.

Edit: It might be awful, in which case, the correct answer is NOT both :)

Edited by The Black Tot

Ok, I take it that you haven’t tried it before? Thoughts on the rest of the line of that brand called El Tarasco? I don’t think I have ever seen it in the US.

D9D32C1F-6175-4888-A5C2-8DE6E206ABB5.thumb.jpeg.a5d46ae53f3f5910ed0041a5adc1adc4.jpeg

On 9/26/2019 at 1:52 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Ok, I take it that you haven’t tried it before? Thoughts on the rest of the line of that brand called El Tarasco? I don’t think I have ever seen it in the US.

D9D32C1F-6175-4888-A5C2-8DE6E206ABB5.thumb.jpeg.a5d46ae53f3f5910ed0041a5adc1adc4.jpeg

You know you want to try them all, good or bad...  If I had to pick one it would be the Anejo.

Picked these up on my recent trip along the way to Bardstown.

IMG_6577.JPG.12a8afc743aebb868c8d55aaf40450a8.JPG

Really want those first three.
  • I like it 1

Picked this up at Cadenheads in London. Excited to try one of there bottlings of Guyanese at nearly 100 proof.

Was hoping they still had a Venezuelan 13 year cask strength single cask but they sold out. I don’t trust the Venezuelan bottlings to not add sugar or coloring so would’ve been nice to try one of there selections.

IMG_8208.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked this up at Cadenheads in London. Excited to try one of there bottlings of Guyanese at nearly 100 proof.

Was hoping they still had a Venezuelan 13 year cask strength single cask but they sold out. I don’t trust the Venezuelan bottlings to not add sugar or coloring so would’ve been nice to try one of there selections.
IMG_8208.thumb.jpg.9175e43beca8e0a115840f3a2e443a32.jpg

Those look interesting!
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

A1bTbom.jpg

I was excited to see 4 of these on the shelf at a local store yesterday.  Took one home and had a pour from it immediately.  Love it!

• I like it 3

On 9/30/2019 at 3:45 PM, lcpfratn said:

Picked these up on my recent trip along the way to Bardstown.

IMG_6577.JPG

Never seen that Blackadder Caroni— nice score. In San Francisco a week ago I came across this 15 yo expression which I didn’t realize existed... hope to reel it in locally at some point. 

9B871E99-4963-4495-95A9-2CFC51A563B2.thumb.jpeg.6c86a0aec08ad7190d329a03313c7e0d.jpeg

• I like it 1

Never seen that Blackadder Caroni— nice score. In San Francisco a week ago I came across this 15 yo expression which I didn’t realize existed... hope to reel it in locally at some point. 

9B871E99-4963-4495-95A9-2CFC51A563B2.thumb.jpeg.6c86a0aec08ad7190d329a03313c7e0d.jpeg

I believe the shop had another bottle if your interested. I haven’t opened it yet, but I’m sure I’ll like it...haven’t had a Caroni yet that I didn’t like, and BlackAdder usually puts out pretty good stuff. I haven’t seen that 15 either, but I don’t get around as much as you do.

A1bTbom.jpg
I was excited to see 4 of these on the shelf at a local store yesterday.  Took one home and had a pour from it immediately.  Love it!

It is definitely good stuff!

On 10/11/2019 at 11:19 PM, lcpfratn said:

I believe the shop had another bottle if your interested. I haven’t opened it yet, but I’m sure I’ll like it...haven’t had a Caroni yet that I didn’t like, and BlackAdder usually puts out pretty good stuff. I haven’t seen that 15 either, but I don’t get around as much as you do.

I am still not convinced that all these "age stated" Panamanian rums (which are all almost certainly coming out of the same distillery), whether it be Zafra, Malecon, Panama-Pacific, Don Pancho, Abuelo or whatever, are truly minimum age stated and not the usual solera BS of most rums. If it is they sure have a hell of a lot of really old barrels lying around!

Maybe the Ron de Jeremy is though... :wacko:

• I like it 1

I am still not convinced that all these "age stated" Panamanian rums (which are all almost certainly coming out of the same distillery), whether it be Zafra, Malecon, Panama-Pacific, Don Pancho, Abuelo or whatever, are truly minimum age stated and not the usual solera BS of most rums. If it is they sure have a hell of a lot of really old barrels lying around!

Maybe the Ron de Jeremy is though... :wacko:

Bruce, You could be right about the Panama-Pacific given its price for the age point, at least for the 23yr, which was less than $60. However, it’s very tasty rum that doesn’t appear to be enhanced with anything. I’ll let you ruminate about the potential age or enhancements of Ron de Jeremy...’cause I don’t want to go there! [emoji6][emoji23]

51 minutes ago, Steven C said:

Well, there was dust on the bottle...  Wonderful stuff!

FullSizeRender 11.jpg

Great stuff. Made honestly by Richard Seale at Foursquare. I'd buy it at that price too, particularly as a nice cocktail ingredient.

• I like it 1

This looked interesting, and one of the guys at LRP liked this better than their Foursquare pick, so I went with this one on this trip...I’ll probably pick up the Foursquare pick next time.

IMG_0111.JPGIMG_0110.JPG

• I like it 1

On 10/21/2019 at 2:28 PM, lcpfratn said:

This looked interesting, and one of the guys at LRP liked this better than their Foursquare pick, so I went with this one on this trip...I’ll probably pick up the Foursquare pick next time.

Their story sounds encouraging. Hopefully they can stick to it. Some distillery transparency would be a novel addition to the line. As best I can tell there is none on the first release.

Not sure what the price is but I hope they can acquire some interesting barrels at something approaching reasonable prices.

• I like it 1

Their story sounds encouraging. Hopefully they can stick to it. Some distillery transparency would be a novel addition to the line. As best I can tell there is none on the first release.

Not sure what the price is but I hope they can acquire some interesting barrels at something approaching reasonable prices.

Well, LRP isn’t known for low prices on their single barrel picks, but if I recall correctly, this was around $110.

On 10/26/2019 at 12:51 AM, lcpfratn said:

Well, LRP isn’t known for low prices on their single barrel picks, but if I recall correctly, this was around $110.

Already at Foursquare prices for an undefined 14yo “Jamaican” rum of unknown origin from a new company without much track record seems a little high. Would need to be a try before you buy bottle for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Purchased Real McCoy 12 yr., Appleton Estate 12 yr., and Plantation Double Aged.  It was $20 for 1L so I figured why not...

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I figured why not...

...because that's a whole liter of drinking you'll be doing where you won't be experiencing something way better. All you get from Plantation for the most part is cognac remnants and sugar.

If you just want value for money, get a 30 dollar handle of Jim Beam Black.

Anyway, I drank way worse rum when I started out. I was a Zacapa man. Therapy has helped me admit it now, and grow.

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

...because that's a whole liter of drinking you'll be doing where you won't be experiencing something way better. All you get from Plantation for the most part is cognac remnants and sugar.

If you just want value for money, get a 30 dollar handle of Jim Beam Black.

Anyway, I drank way worse rum when I started out. I was a Zacapa man. Therapy has helped me admit it now, and grow.

I'm sipping it now and it's pretty good to me, not sure if sugar has been added.

We still don't have that much out my way.  Ron de Barrilito any good?

2 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

I'm sipping it now and it's pretty good to me, not sure if sugar has been added.

We still don't have that much out my way.  Ron de Barrilito any good?

If it has Plantation on the label, sugar has been added.

Nothing wrong with enjoyment. Carry on, but you're not learning much about rum.

Nope on the RdB.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, The Black Tot said:

If it has Plantation on the label, sugar has been added.

Nothing wrong with enjoyment. Carry on, but you're not learning much about rum.

Nope on the RdB.

Will keep that in mind, that's what I feared.  Maybe will use as a mixer?  I'll refer back to the Getting Started thread I made to shop around.