What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

2 hours ago, Rockefeller said:

Alright, you guys inspired me to try some rum 

25EB3A74-C2A3-4B5A-A93E-D2C83573990D.thumb.jpeg.96138f110ae7507eed81070c61c616aa.jpeg

That’s a good one to start on in my opinion!

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

That’s a good one to start on in my opinion!

I did some research plus spoke with the staff at the store and consensus seems to be this is a great entry rum for the bourbon drinker 

Edited by Rockefeller
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Rockefeller said:

I did some research plus spoke with the staff at the store and consensus seems to be this is a great entry rum for the bourbon drinker 

I’m a big fan of Foursquare, as are many other SB members that are into good rum. Unfortunately I can’t get it in my area, and have to buy it when I’m traveling. 

Edited by lcpfratn

On 5/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, Rockefeller said:

Alright, you guys inspired me to try some rum 

25EB3A74-C2A3-4B5A-A93E-D2C83573990D.thumb.jpeg.96138f110ae7507eed81070c61c616aa.jpeg

You shouldn't be disappointed.  FS is good albeit follows the lighter Bajan rum style.  

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

You shouldn't be disappointed.  FS is good albeit follows the lighter Bajan rum style.  

Bajan or not, I wouldn't use the term "light" for any of their expressions. ;)

Grabbed a FourSquare Sagacity today, I've been hearing great things about this one. 

16 hours ago, Kane said:

Bajan or not, I wouldn't use the term "light" for any of their expressions. ;)

Compared to other pot still expressions, I would. My two cents...

• I like it 1

Liquor stores FINALLY back open with social distancing.  Grabbed a handle of MG Eclipse and Pussers Original.  

• I like it 1

Picked up a modern J. Wray to compare against the dusty version I purchased earlier in the week. I doubt it'll be much of a competition.

IMG_4524.thumb.jpg.ea30952bba282c12fcfe0190ef317425.jpg

• I like it 1

On 5/15/2020 at 7:12 PM, Marekv8 said:

Picked up a modern J. Wray to compare against the dusty version I purchased earlier in the week. I doubt it'll be much of a competition.

IMG_4524.thumb.jpg.ea30952bba282c12fcfe0190ef317425.jpg

Don’t know that I have seen this bottling in Georgia before. 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Don’t know that I have seen this bottling in Georgia before. 

It's in Texas. A decent solution for cocktails requiring a non-dark Jamaican rum in the US. For dark I use Coruba.

Probably won't unseat Smith And Cross though for the same role.

The dusty CJ Wray white rum you're probably also familiar with, and from foggy memory had more of a citrus peel thing going on in its estery zone. Worth buying cheap if you see it on a rando bottom shelf, but not worth paying a premium for. 

Posted here due to the lack of a "What Rum Did You Pass On Today" thread. At least it brightened my day, literally.

IMG_4588.thumb.jpg.800e764c58c654597e44706aafb20086.jpg

• I like it 4

On 5/30/2020 at 7:01 PM, Marekv8 said:

Posted here due to the lack of a "What Rum Did You Pass On Today" thread. At least it brightened my day, literally.

Mate its wonderful but I don't think I would go there either!

On 5/30/2020 at 6:01 PM, Marekv8 said:

I have been seeing this and thought, you have to diversify, but I’m out on this, not my type......  I do like the BR Single barrel though. 

Came across a couple of bottles of Foursquare 2005, and grabbed them both.  Those are extinct around here...

• I like it 1

Fourteen years and straight bourbon maturation… but the Foursquare pricing is quickly creeping into Independently-bottled territory…

IMG_4600.thumb.jpg.80e92156b992eb070725c924b09a245f.jpg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Fourteen years and straight bourbon maturation… but the Foursquare pricing is quickly creeping into Independently-bottled territory…

IMG_4600.thumb.jpg.80e92156b992eb070725c924b09a245f.jpg

Creeping? They seem to be going that direction at full throttle to me! Although it is hard to know where the bulk of the increase is. In Georgia at least a part of it could be the distributor (and often is).

25 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Creeping? They seem to be going that direction at full throttle to me! Although it is hard to know where the bulk of the increase is. In Georgia at least a part of it could be the distributor (and often is).

Yes-- I was surprised to see the $115.00 price tag, which puts it into some very competitive territory. Given that I got a screaming deal on Sagacity at $29.99-- I acquiesced on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Odd bunch here-- a "whisky cask" matured (22 months) version of the Casimir Clairin and a molasses-based rum from Guadeloupe with a confusing hybrid maturation history. Plus, some damn cool Mexican Corn Liqueur on the non-rum front.

IMG_4646.thumb.jpg.64d2545615e7ace0bf856640c6ed7206.jpg

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Odd bunch here-- a "whisky cask" matured (22 months) version of the Casimir Clairin and a molasses-based rum from Guadeloupe with a confusing hybrid maturation history. Plus, some damn cool Mexican Corn Liqueur on the non-rum front.

IMG_4646.thumb.jpg.64d2545615e7ace0bf856640c6ed7206.jpg

That's a cool Mexican Corn Liqueur bottle. 

I'd be interested to read the tasting notes on that Licor de Elote.

Elote is the term for what we'd call corn on the cob.  I wonder if it was made from fresh, rather than dried corn.

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'd be interested to read the tasting notes on that Licor de Elote.

Elote is the term for what we'd call corn on the cob.  I wonder if it was made from fresh, rather than dried corn.

Paul, your “what we’d call corn...” words reminded me of the old Mazola margarine commercial.  14 yr old Smokinjoe had one big time crush on the “maize” girl...?. Which begs the question, here in 2020 was I “bad” or “good” for liking that commercial and presentation?   ?

• I like it 2

Hey Joe, I have no problem with it.

Back in the day, I remember Mazola also had a commercial with Native Americans dancing.

One of the Native Americans in that commercial also did stand up comedy.

He said he called his mom on the phone, "Mom, I'm on tv.  I'm dancing with the two Italians".