What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

59 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Hey Joe, I have no problem with it.

Back in the day, I remember Mazola also had a commercial with Native Americans dancing.

One of the Native Americans in that commercial also did stand up comedy.

He said he called his mom on the phone, "Mom, I'm on tv.  I'm dancing with the two Italians".

I see Land o Lakes butter dropped the American Indian “Butter Maiden” from their packaging a couple months ago.  

On 6/23/2020 at 6:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

Paul, your “what we’d call corn...” words reminded me of the old Mazola margarine commercial.  14 yr old Smokinjoe had one big time crush on the “maize” girl...?. Which begs the question, here in 2020 was I “bad” or “good” for liking that commercial and presentation?   ?

The obvious and only correct answer to your question is YES!

So some of you may have seen ads pop up in google recently for a new rum brand called Equiano. Interestingly if you buy a bottle for $60 (which I did) they will happily ship it to you and it doesn't seem to matter were you live. Maybe Florida (the distributor is based out of Miami) is like New York and just doesn't care about other states limitations on shipping liquor. Works for me!

It is a blend of 10 yo molasses based rum from Gray's Distillery in Mauritius (along standing but probably relatively unknown to the US distiller/producer there) with 8 yo molasses based rum from Foursquare in Barbados. How much from each isn't specified that I can find. It comes from a partnership between Richard Seale of Foursquare and Ian Burrell, both from Barbados, self proclaimed "Global Rum Ambassador" (Ian undoubtedly knows his rum but it seems noteworthy to point out the title is his creation!). 

At first appearance it is bottled at a rather low for my taste 86 proof and the bottle is also a rather snazzy one with a heavy clear base. Both of these are potential big red flags for me! But the Foursquare connection made me decide to take a chance and I look forward to trying it, perhaps next to some Foursquare rum and maybe Penny Blue, A rum I have from Mauritius (not sure if it s from the same distillery though). If it is successful I presume we will see more blends from this brand. Hopefully we will also see higher proof...

617353710_EquianoRum1.jpeg.07ca85ca05ca734044025075d1ab5ffc.jpeg1822845781_EquianoRum2.jpeg.71fe9fee067c73fd17a65e5e22bf1db5.jpeg

• I like it 1

So, a little underwhelmed by the Equiano. A light burnt caramel character seems to dominate and I presume that to be the Mauritius component and presume it is the dominant part of the blend. The low proof doesn’t help much either. But I try to not make a final judgement without trying it several times and hopefully getting the opinion of a few others. Time will tell.

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

So, a little underwhelmed by the Equiano. A light burnt caramel character seems to dominate and I presume that to be the Mauritius component and presume it is the dominant part of the blend. The low proof doesn’t help much either. But I try to not make a final judgement without trying it several times and hopefully getting the opinion of a few others. Time will tell.

Thanks to your tip, my bottle is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I’ll open it over the weekend and report back. 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

It's good, but that's about it. I will revisit after it has been open awhile and see if it has opened up.

• 3 weeks later...

Well what I did not buy today was FS Empery and 2008. I had already made $250 of purchases and the 2x price tag compared to earlier releases was a turn off. Regardless of price these still hold up right? I’ll go back to the same area next week and I’ll likely be in a better mood. 

On 7/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, Kane said:

Well what I did not buy today was FS Empery and 2008. I had already made $250 of purchases and the 2x price tag compared to earlier releases was a turn off. Regardless of price these still hold up right? I’ll go back to the same area next week and I’ll likely be in a better mood. 

Foursquare has certainly steadily increased in price over time but if I had to choose one I would go with the 2008. As good or better than Nobilliary to me and should be less expensive than the Empery.

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am bringing two bottles of rum to share with some friends next on Thursday, one of those friends is a dedicated Bourboner. He is very excited after the glowing Fred Minnick video. The bottles are FS 2008 ans Privateer Queen's share. As a rum drinker first and a bourbon drinker second, I am not sure that the Privateer the right choice yet. I'd value some thoughts.

Edited by Nomad

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

I am bringing two bottles of rum to share with some friends next on Thursday, one of those friends is a dedicated Bourboner. He is very excited after the glowing Fred Minnick video. The bottles are FS 2008 ans Privateer Queen's share. As a rum drinker first and a bourbon drinker second, I am not sure that the Privateer the right choice yet. I'd value some thoughts.

The Queens Share isn’t typically as mature in age as Foursquare  (usually 2 to maybe 4 years old) but the ones I have gotten to try have been very good so far with a dry whiskey like character that vary some depending on the barrel used to age it. I would think it would be fine. Why don’t you think it would be the right choice?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Queens Share isn’t typically as mature in age as Foursquare  (usually 2 to maybe 4 years old) but the ones I have gotten to try have been very good so far with a dry whiskey like character that vary some depending on the barrel used to age it. I would think it would be fine. Why don’t you think it would be the right choice?

I'm just not sure. The 2008 seems to be a bullseye for Bourbon drinkers and in comparison I find the QS to be subtle and quite rummy.  It's really the only Privateer so far that I love. Granted, there are some one offs yet to be opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up 2 Rums (at Lincoln Road) on a road trip last week, they should be good. 
814EFE69-15B6-4051-9044-06AF3E401045.thumb.jpeg.830515a2fa0fb4edddaff5a952aa86dc.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Picked up 2 Rums (at Lincoln Road) on a road trip last week, they should be good. 
814EFE69-15B6-4051-9044-06AF3E401045.thumb.jpeg.830515a2fa0fb4edddaff5a952aa86dc.jpeg

The Nobiliary certainly is! Couldn’t speak to the Chairmen barrel pick although Lincoln Road certainly has an excellent reputation and a pick by my local tiki bar (SOS in Decatur, GA if you are curious!) was excellent and head and shoulders above the standard off the shelf bottle. I bought two of them for my own spirits library!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Very interesting-- I just left Lincoln Road with two rums as well. Jamie even recognized me with the full-blown mask on, I just don't blend in well I reckon. He's got some great stuff right now-- I may need to stop on my way home for round two.

IMG_4884.thumb.jpg.592e2b9ff2bfb154a61192f618497c3c.jpg

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Very interesting-- I just left Lincoln Road with two rums as well. Jamie even recognized me with the full-blown mask on, I just don't blend in well I reckon. He's got some great stuff right now-- I may need to stop on my way home for round two.

IMG_4884.thumb.jpg.592e2b9ff2bfb154a61192f618497c3c.jpg

Take the Grander back and get the Chairmen’s Reserve store pick!

Just a thought... ?

12 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Take the Grander back and get the Chairmen’s Reserve store pick!

Just a thought... ?

Yeah I’ve heard sketchy things about Panamanian rums but never had them myself. The blackadder should be solid tho.

29 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah I’ve heard sketchy things about Panamanian rums but never had them myself. The blackadder should be solid tho.

Thanks for your assistance. What are you basing you comments on?

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Thanks for your assistance. What are you basing you comments on?

Mentoring from Paul/Bruce lol.  I'm not sure what the consistency or sourcing is for Panamanian rums.  I've heard rumors that the age statements aren't consistent and the distillate is not actually from Panama.  Again, speaking from limited experience.

Used to be really only one distillery of significance in Panama although it seemed to go by many names and produced a multitude of brands in the Spanish style. Always seemed like they had large quantities and high age statements at low cost (“solera style” anyone???). I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if rum or molasses was being imported to use in the various brands. The rums all seem a bit similar and are soft, sweet and low proof Which does little to interest me.

So not having a ton of confidence in what was in the bottle I tend not to look for Panama sourced runs. Indeed, I tend not to look for Spanish style runs in general. 

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Used to be really only one distillery of significance in Panama although it seemed to go by many names and produced a multitude of brands in the Spanish style. Always seemed like they had large quantities and high age statements at low cost (“solera style” anyone???). I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if rum or molasses was being imported to use in the various brands. The rums all seem a bit similar and are soft, sweet and low proof Which does little to interest me.

So not having a ton of confidence in what was in the bottle I tend not to look for Panama sourced runs. Indeed, I tend not to look for Spanish style runs in general. 

I have pretty much figured it that out the hard way.  Now, I'm still getting into rums so I'll cut my teeth on them just for the heck of it, but still kind of a let-down.

On 8/5/2020 at 10:25 PM, PhantomLamb said:

I generally the same way about Panama rums but the Grander seems to be one of the exceptions.  They seem to be transparent about what they are bottling with clear age statements and respectable proofs and no additives unlike most Spanish rums.  Also seen people posting Panama Pacific which seems to be another with good proofs and clear age statements. 

• I like it 2

I haven’t tried this yet but bought based on experience  with the 2005 & 2007.  They had some of those and a few Sagacity.

20EF2083-444F-489D-AC3A-53D81404ACAE.jpeg

• I like it 2

I picked up the Nobiliary and found it to be awesome (one of the the best rums I've ever tried) so went back for another bottle.  The Denizen Vatted Dark seems to be new?  It reminds me of Smith & Cross, very tasty as a mixer.  I included some of the rest of my rums, gotta do something to keep from going stir crazy.  We used to get the Barrilito 3 star for $11-12 in Puerto Rico, now it's hard to find for less than $45.

rum.jpg

• I like it 1

Spirits hit different markets at different times so it’s hard to say. The Denizen Vatted dark has been in Atlanta since at least last fall as best I recall.