What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Same bottle, closure, capsule, liquid color and label shape as the annual vintage Foursquare releases-- for 16 bucks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a counterfeiter's dream.

IMG_4993.thumb.jpg.6c6d5e560903db07ce14043c1bd9b9dd.jpg

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Same bottle, closure, capsule, liquid color and label shape as the annual vintage Foursquare releases-- for 16 bucks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a counterfeiter's dream.

IMG_4993.thumb.jpg.6c6d5e560903db07ce14043c1bd9b9dd.jpg

Does make a guy go hmmmm! I doubt the stuff inside tastes as good as the vintage Foursquare releases. 

19 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Does make a guy go hmmmm! I doubt the stuff inside tastes as good as the vintage Foursquare releases. 

For $16.00 and at 43% ABV-- can't really beat it for a Sunday morning breakfast rum.

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

For $16.00 and at 43% ABV-- can't really beat it for a Sunday morning breakfast rum.

Breakfast rum, hmm never have had that yet lol.  Nice find!

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Breakfast rum, hmm never have had that yet lol.  Nice find!

Tough to beat breakfast at Brennan's Roost Bar in the French Quarter with a Samaroli Guadeloupe.

rooster_panel.thumb.jpg.225393d2dc4f5ee7fec2dd6bc0f48c2a.jpg

• I like it 4

• 1 month later...

So some of you may have seen ads pop up in google recently for a new rum brand called Equiano. Interestingly if you buy a bottle for $60 (which I did) they will happily ship it to you and it doesn't seem to matter were you live. Maybe Florida (the distributor is based out of Miami) is like New York and just doesn't care about other states limitations on shipping liquor. Works for me!

I've tried it as well, it's pretty nice rum.

Edited by jacob11wp

1 hour ago, jacob11wp said:

No doubt about it, Foursquare 2008 - is a pretty nice choice for sure, for any type of the mood. Although I want to get something pretty rare from this list  ( right here: https://www.mostexpensiveshityoucanbuy.com/most-expensive-rum/ ). What do you think about it? Is it worth it? Almost all of those rum bottles are expensive as hell.

Clearly the choice here is the 1940’s J Wray & Nephew...

12 hours ago, jacob11wp said:

No doubt about it, Foursquare 2008 - is a pretty nice choice for sure, for any type of the mood. Although I want to get something pretty rare from this list  ( right here: https://www.mostexpensiveshityoucanbuy.com/most-expensive-rum/ ). What do you think about it? Is it worth it? Almost all of those rum bottles are expensive as hell.

No. Would it be fun to have? Sure! But “worth it”? Nope, not for me. The Clement 1952 is a white whale for me and I would love to at least try it on its own (it used to be part of the blend in the original Clement XO, which I still have a couple bottles of). I had a chance to buy it a few years ago but could not justify pulling the trigger then and probably never will.

Sorry for breaking up the conversation, picked up Plantation OFTD (apparently no "dosage"), Panama-Pacific 9yr., and Hamilton Jamaican Gold (sourced from Worthy Park).  

Cool new Velier release of the first distillate from a new Haitian distillery helmed by a Barbancourt descendent.

Nothing otherworldly about the liquid itself, but a nice unadulterated release.

IMG_5255.thumb.jpg.29ffb5bca598aba750d97a10df3b2471.jpg

• I like it 1

On 8/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, Marekv8 said:

Tough to beat breakfast at Brennan's Roost Bar in the French Quarter with a Samaroli Guadeloupe.

rooster_panel.thumb.jpg.225393d2dc4f5ee7fec2dd6bc0f48c2a.jpg

To be fair New Orlean’s runs on a different clock than pretty much the rest of the world! ?

Maybe Vegas.

Maybe... 

• I like it 2

I lost my Brennan's privileges when I broke up with one of their chefs.

That's a few years back now, but I'm giving that one a half-life of about 15yrs...

• I like it 4

On 10/16/2020 at 5:12 AM, The Black Tot said:

I lost my Brennan's privileges when I broke up with one of their chefs.

That's a few years back now, but I'm giving that one a half-life of about 15yrs...

Its been closed, revamped, re-opened with a new crew. Your timeline may have been greatly accelerated.

• I like it 1

On 10/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, markandrex said:

I picked up this based on experience with their other offerings.

39A5BB9A-8D8F-4ABA-A5DA-AF1BDC22230C.jpeg

F13657A8-0FAE-4026-B5B5-27B72A26B154.jpeg

Kind of follows my rum rule. The swankier the bottle the more suspect the spirit. I did like the original 12yo K&S but didn’t see a lot of value added in the more aged versions. Reported to be Bermudez rum from the DR, which the otherwise unhelpful blurb seems to confirm. Haven’t tried the XO and probably won’t as I rarely buy Spanish style rum these days.

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 3

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Kind of follows my rum rule. The swankier the bottle the more suspect the spirit. I did like the original 12yo K&S but didn’t see a lot of value added in the more aged versions. Reported to be Bermudez rum from the DR, which the otherwise unhelpful blurb seems to confirm. Haven’t tried the XO and probably won’t as I rarely buy Spanish style rum these days.

Amen to this.

• I like it 1

Pre-ordered a 1999 Golden Devil "Caribbean" 21 Year Old Single Barrel Cask Strength Rum that's supposed to hit in November.  

• I like it 1

My cord of wood delivered earlier this week is still sitting in the driveway, as the thunderstorms rolled in right before I planned to begin wheelbarrowing it around to the back yard to stack.  Damn, the Apple IPhone weather app is accurate!!  ?. So, I guess I’ll just sit in the garage and watch the rain and boomers fall with a Caroni 17 yr.  

711CFEC7-AD20-497A-A906-568A529FA11D.jpeg

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

My cord of wood delivered earlier this week is still sitting in the driveway, as the thunderstorms rolled in right before I planned to begin wheelbarrowing it around to the back yard to stack.  Damn, the Apple IPhone weather app is accurate!!  ?. So, I guess I’ll just sit in the garage and watch the rain and boomers fall with a Caroni 17 yr.  

711CFEC7-AD20-497A-A906-568A529FA11D.jpeg

And here I thought that bottle had too much of those funky rum descriptors for you to enjoy! I stand corrected...enjoy that smoking tire, burning asphalt cinnamon bomb...I certainly do!

• I like it 1

FYI… 15% off all rum at Astor today.

------------

Looks like I picked a bad day to stop drinking.

556159026_ScreenShot2020-10-28at9_23_41AM.thumb.jpg.21367e3551bde2a9ef5964620033a160.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Other than the “Colon“ name, this 111 proof rum from El Salvador is OK by me…

IMG_5355.thumb.jpg.c2915fe80ee4bbc7889c154c1c70451f.jpg

I got a bottle from the local promoter of the brand several weeks ago and then met the US brand rep a couple of weeks ago. In normal times I would push this to some of my favorite bars and encourage them to bring it in. But most bars are buying very limited stock and generally nothing new so it is a tough sell. I have shared it around though and it was generally well received. The 30% of Jamaican rum that provides most of the flavor to the 6yo Salvadorian column still rum it is blended with makes this reasonably interesting at its price point and higher 111 proof. The Colon name doesn't particularly bother me but I suppose it may not be adequately PC in the current environment that wants to rewrite history.

Keep the coin on the top of the bottle! It may or not be worth some SWAG down the road!