What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

On 12/28/2020 at 11:51 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

If I saw that bottle in the $35 range I might buy several! Presuming they had several to sell of course.

There were two or three left on the shelf… if find myself there anytime soon, I can grab them for you.

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

There were two or three left on the shelf… if find myself there anytime soon, I can grab them for you.

That works for me! 😎

• 4 weeks later...

I told myself not to buy more bottles until a few empty themselves .. and then my usual place said just got in Foursquare Redoutable.  Well, nuts.  And then a bottle of Stolen Overproof Rum fell into the basket.  Surely I can't just toss it out, right?

• I like it 4

22 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Where does Foursquare come up with these ridiculous names?

The Redoutable was a French warship that served in the Caribbean for a time and was the ship that fought HMS Victory at Trafalgar and is presumed responsible for killing Admiral Nelson. A "formidable" ship indeed!

Perhaps that could be the source... 

Although the name of a French ship from a rum company on a formerly British island could seem a bit odd! 😎

• I like it 1

Alas, the Foursquare line is still unobtainable in my area. We do have access to Real McCoy and the occasional independent bottler Foursquare cask, but still nothing from their flagship line! ☹️

18 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Alas, the Foursquare line is still unobtainable in my area. We do have access to Real McCoy and the occasional independent bottler Foursquare cask, but still nothing from their flagship line! ☹️

Same here, but Real McCoy does the job, for the most part.

• I like it 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:55 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Where does Foursquare come up with these ridiculous names?

But, not nearly as ridiculous as some rum tasting notes!  😂

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

But, not nearly as ridiculous as some rum tasting notes!  😂

The world can't ALL be baking spices and leather...

• I like it 1

On 2/2/2021 at 9:12 AM, Marekv8 said:

Still bourbon-free for 2021, but back from a mini road trip with some rum…

IMG_5798.thumb.jpg.6d7a1445ddd019bfc86d2089b17f7511.jpg

Have you tried the Hampden yet? Just picked it up and thought it was good. Like everything these days, especially if it’s “limited” it seemed a little pricey. Have had everything else except the Blackadder for a while now but not tasted them again recently. Certainly an interesting mix of rhyme/rums!

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Have you tried the Hampden yet? Just picked it up and thought it was good. Like everything these days, especially if it’s “limited” it seemed a little pricey. Have had everything else except the Blackadder for a while now but not tasted them again recently. Certainly an interesting mix of rhyme/rums!

Not yet on the Hampden Great House-- but certainly during the upcoming weekend.  I'm in the throes of major dental work and everything tastes a bit off, so I've been hitting more standard fare.

Let us know what you think on the Hampden.  Would love to know how it stands up to the 12yr. and 27yr. I picked up.  Personally, I've found younger Hampden a bit harder to approach.

• 1 month later...

A few purchases made over the last couple months should hit me today:

Stolen Overproof

K&L Golden Devil Caribbean 21 

Transcontinental Trinidad

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, berto said:

A few purchases made over the last couple months should hit me today:

Stolen Overproof

K&L Golden Devil Caribbean 21 

Transcontinental Trinidad

That's awesome, I saw the Transcontinental Trinidad, hoped it was Caroni, but Paul informed me that those stocks were depleted a year or two before this was barreled.  

Was the Golden Devil Caribbean 21 the stuff they got that was somewhat mixed and they couldn't define the source?  If so, let me know your thoughts, I passed on that one and want to know if I made a good/bad decision.

Also forgot to mention, purchased about a month back a 2009 Habitation Velier WP 11yr.  Looking forward to trying this in due time.

32 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

That's awesome, I saw the Transcontinental Trinidad, hoped it was Caroni, but Paul informed me that those stocks were depleted a year or two before this was barreled.  

Was the Golden Devil Caribbean 21 the stuff they got that was somewhat mixed and they couldn't define the source?  If so, let me know your thoughts, I passed on that one and want to know if I made a good/bad decision.

The Caribbean is supposedly Cuban.  

The Transcon is not Caroni but I heard it was excellent so I took the plunge.

6 hours ago, berto said:

The Caribbean is supposedly Cuban.  

The Transcon is not Caroni but I heard it was excellent so I took the plunge.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

• 4 weeks later...

Some new, some repeats… been in a rum mood for a while. Can't get over how opaque the Holmes Cay Belize 15yo is… have my sample poured for tonight.

IMG_6001.thumb.jpg.d5c09642307a2353cc80b58b287750f6.jpg

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 6

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Some new, some repeats… been in a rum mood for a while. Can't get over how opaque the Holmes Cay Belize 15yo is… have my sample poured for tonight.

IMG_6001.thumb.jpg.d5c09642307a2353cc80b58b287750f6.jpg

Where did you score the Caroni from? Also, what distillery in Belize is that sourced from?

Thanks,

13 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Where did you score the Caroni from? Also, what distillery in Belize is that sourced from?

Thanks,

The Belize 15 is from Travellers Liquor Distillery and it’s quite an intense experience as the opacity might suggest. I picked the Caroni up locally and quietly, trying not to tip the LS owner off.

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

The Belize 15 is from Travellers Liquor Distillery and it’s quite an intense experience as the opacity might suggest. I picked the Caroni up locally and quietly, trying not to tip the LS owner off.

Is locally Baton Rouge? I get there every now and then for work and IDK a good rum store there.