What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

My first go at Privateer… expectations aren't super high after nosing it while replacing the cork damaged during shipping.

IMG_6365.thumb.jpg.8a3af4bdff4b0d3370bb5469f2f299aa.jpg

The Cayman Reef is my new “best bang for the buck" rum-- hard to beat a 5-year aged stated unadulterated rum from Barbados for $14.99. You even get a real cork stopper and a Michter’s 10yo bottle.

IMG_6381.thumb.jpg.9fb036055ee42410762933f0eff33f02.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, Marekv8 said:

My first go at Privateer… expectations aren't super high after nosing it while replacing the cork damaged during shipping.

IMG_6365.thumb.jpg.8a3af4bdff4b0d3370bb5469f2f299aa.jpg

Let us know the thoughts on Privateer I’ve heard mixed reviews.

12 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Let us know the thoughts on Privateer I’ve heard mixed reviews.

Even with my low expectations it was a tedious disappointment. However, the K&L Tres Rivieres and LRP Chairman’s Reserve Cask #50 that followed made up for it in grand style. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Even with my low expectations it was a tedious disappointment. However, the K&L Tres Rivieres and LRP Chairman’s Reserve Cask #50 that followed made up for it in grand style. 

That's what I've heard as well, thanks for sparing me the disappointment 😛.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:16 PM, Marekv8 said:

I found that one the best of their regular line up. It's ok. I did enjoy some of the SE (for lack of a better term) bottles of Queen's Share, but for the most part, good to maybe very good was as good as it got. If you don't like that one...

Edited by Nomad

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

I found that one the best of their regular line up. It's ok. I did enjoy some of the SE (for lack of a better term) bottles of Queen's Share, but for the most part, good to maybe very good was as good as it got. If you don't like that one...

I'll give it another go this weekend-- hate to totally rule it out. I'd like to try the Habitation Veiler Privateer un-aged release from earlier-- just to get a good grasp of the distillate.

• I like it 1

I feel like much of their stuff is too oak forward, so that could be the right direction.

On 7/12/2021 at 7:16 PM, Marekv8 said:

That LRP Chairman’s Cask 50 is some unique and very good Rum. 

Made a run specifically for the new Hamilton Zombie Blend and things got a little out of hand...

36F3302F-5225-4507-87CF-26B40C1F46AB.thumb.jpeg.402569f7793449ae6e48acc11ebd8acb.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Made a run specifically for the new Hamilton Zombie Blend and things got a little out of hand...

Ya’ reckon? 🙄 What else is new?  🤣

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

36F3302F-5225-4507-87CF-26B40C1F46AB.thumb.jpeg.402569f7793449ae6e48acc11ebd8acb.jpeg

That Ercole Barbera is a great little wine for the money. 

13 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

That Ercole Barbera is a great little wine for the money. 

Good to know-- I actually bought it as a gift (super cool pack design), so I'll pick one up for myself next time.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t buy it, but I’ve never seen any cask finished variants of the revered Revelation Rum. Interesting... from a dusty joint in DC.

2A3C0F76-6AE6-4A09-AF84-1E401C110371.thumb.jpeg.e090f0ef0cc41e81c15b69b14156fb1f.jpeg

• I like it 2

Picked these up for a friend during my trip to the Motherland, last week.  

28ADD32D-947B-463C-BB1D-D0176EC977C0.jpeg

Got this last night, not stellar but not bad either. Opens up with some air.

6A11C38C-20C5-4D05-BB99-E3DCE9ACA257.jpeg

22 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I didn’t buy it, but I’ve never seen any cask finished variants of the revered Revelation Rum. Interesting... from a dusty joint in DC.

2A3C0F76-6AE6-4A09-AF84-1E401C110371.thumb.jpeg.e090f0ef0cc41e81c15b69b14156fb1f.jpeg

Oh wow it would be hard to pass on the Revelation rum.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:58 PM, Marekv8 said:

Was just going to ask about if anyone’s tried and has details on the Zombie blend.  I’d buy it for the name alone.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Was just going to ask about if anyone’s tried and has details on the Zombie blend.  I’d buy it for the name alone.

We were drinking it at the liquor store— quite a nice and punchy blend. I figured it would be a 1L bottle due to its purpose as a cocktail component.

• 2 weeks later...

Havana Club 3, 5, 7, and Seleccion de Maestros for $84 total OTD.  Looking forward to trying them.

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Havana Club 3, 5, 7, and Seleccion de Maestros for $84 total OTD.  Looking forward to trying them.

You must be overseas and someplace cheap!

Bought an Impex Long pond 13yo. They had a bottle of the Clarendon also but I decided to try the LP first.

It's pretty good. Some funk but not over the top. It requires a bit more airtime, but is showing well after 10 minutes in the glass so far. Lots of interesting aroma notes. I'll have to get back to it soon, but so far a valid purchase.

Anybody have any thoughts on Clarendon as a producer? It's also a 13yo

Cheers,

RW

Actually, the reason I bought the Long Pond was because it wasn't Clarendon- which is a very large producer and quite hard to know what version of their juice would be in the bottle.

4 hours ago, RWBadley said:

Actually, the reason I bought the Long Pond was because it wasn't Clarendon- which is a very large producer and quite hard to know what version of their juice would be in the bottle.

I’m assuming you mean bottler? I’ve heard 50/50 things on Clarendon. What year was the LP and proof? 

From my understanding, everything high proof coming out of LP before plantation got their hands on it was good.

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You must be overseas and someplace cheap!

Yessir down in Colombia this month visiting my in-laws. Will post thoughts tonight on the 3/5 year.