What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

18 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I’m assuming you mean bottler? I’ve heard 50/50 things on Clarendon. What year was the LP and proof? 

From my understanding, everything high proof coming out of LP before plantation got their hands on it was good.

The Long Pond was distilled in 2007 and bottled at 53.6 proof.

Impex is the bottler. The Long Pond was my first purchase based on it's relative rarity and interesting history.

The Clarendon 2007 51.4 proof I may have an interest in, but wanted to snag the LP first. 

The Black Tot and Pussers Gundpowder proof.  Looking forward to trying both of them.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

The Black Tot and Pussers Gundpowder proof.  Looking forward to trying both of them.

I thoroughly enjoy the Black Tot. It was a hit with my rum AND bourbon friends.

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

I thoroughly enjoy the Black Tot. It was a hit with my rum AND bourbon friends.

Cool, will keep that in mind in trying to bring people over to the dark side 😀.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thoughts on Ron Izalco 10yr rum???

Local bourbon group is having a release of this... Havent had a lot of rums but love Real McCoy 12 and Holmes Cay Belize (15yr and 12yr)... I am more than likely going to buy multiples but just wondering what I could expect form it... Thanks 

10 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Thoughts on Ron Izalco 10yr rum???

Local bourbon group is having a release of this... Havent had a lot of rums but love Real McCoy 12 and Holmes Cay Belize (15yr and 12yr)... I am more than likely going to buy multiples but just wondering what I could expect form it... Thanks 

Expect a sugary sweet rum cocktail— very different from their 15 year cask strength offering— but they’re sourcing from several distilleries. Spend your dough on the new Appleton Estate 15yo instead. 

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:07 PM, Marekv8 said:

Expect a sugary sweet rum cocktail— very different from their 15 year cask strength offering— but they’re sourcing from several distilleries. Spend your dough on the new Appleton Estate 15yo instead. 

Noted... I am heading out this afternoon and will check for the Appleton Estate... Thank you

Was able to try the LROK at the store— extremely delicate, clean and mature in a rounded-off versus woody way. Reminds me of a Mezan Jamaica 2000 release at a higher proof— and probably for a good reason.

252AE09E-90D7-40CC-8C60-1B57D42AAAF5.thumb.jpeg.9589ff3219a68be679ede73904b369a3.jpeg

• I like it 5

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Was able to try the LROK at the store— extremely delicate, clean and mature in a rounded-off versus woody way. Reminds me of a Mezan Jamaica 2000 release at a higher proof— and probably for a good reason.

252AE09E-90D7-40CC-8C60-1B57D42AAAF5.thumb.jpeg.9589ff3219a68be679ede73904b369a3.jpeg

I had pretty much already decided that I was going to buy one of these, but now it’s a certainty. Good thing that I’ve got access to a few. 😉

22 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Have you had the Velier aged LROK?  How does it compare?

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Have you had the Velier aged LROK?  How does it compare?

Sorry, just the LFCH— but out of this group, the Mezan comes closest in regard to the complex light-handed delicacy.

Now I’ve got to go mow the yard.

805F1E87-A53B-47F3-A698-09A2821E00A3.thumb.jpeg.d34598ae4fbd0da90fb61d98b4fbb300.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 9:07 PM, Marekv8 said:

Found the AE 15yr… Hope to crack it open soon

On 9/22/2021 at 4:07 PM, Marekv8 said:

My NYC rums from last week finally made it home today… the Blackadder is almost opaque.

IMG_6777.thumb.jpg.5cf1ce3a9bfe3a76524a69071f85e871.jpg

What distillery is the Blackadder from?

1 hour ago, PhantomLamb said:

Gee thanks Marek, always a pleasure talking with you 😘.

Sorry— what I was trying to convey was that it’s so damn good that it’s point of origin doesn’t matter to me. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Sorry— what I was trying to convey was that it’s so damn good that it’s point of origin doesn’t matter to me. 

Roger that, I’ve felt the same with Panamanian rums I’ve had too.

• I like it 1

I never thought it would come to this. I fear this will have a snowball effect on Stateside retailers and flippers.

253153734_ScreenShot2021-09-27at4_02_44PM.thumb.jpg.085b75988416714586dab5c4f1ac5dca.jpg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I never thought it would come to this. I fear this will have a snowball effect on Stateside retailers and flippers.

253153734_ScreenShot2021-09-27at4_02_44PM.thumb.jpg.085b75988416714586dab5c4f1ac5dca.jpg

Foursquare 2004 screw cap was my gateway rum from bourbon and I’m probably not the only one.  That was because it was like $50, double digit aged, barrel proof and not that hard to find.  It also kind of tastes like bourbon. With this however rum has definitely jumped the shark.  If these are going for $80+ and not easy to find what’s the point? Good thing was I’ve now been exposed to what I find to be more interesting rums, stuff like Jamaican rum with all that funk.  I still like Foursquare it’s consistent, stuff but can still get like Seale 12 year at 90+ proof and under $45.  

Well, bye.

DC944E76-7B03-4396-9AFF-84EE7757587D.gif

Edited by HoustonNit

12 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Foursquare 2004 screw cap was my gateway rum from bourbon and I’m probably not the only one.  That was because it was like $50, double digit aged, barrel proof and not that hard to find.  It also kind of tastes like bourbon. With this however rum has definitely jumped the shark.  If these are going for $80+ and not easy to find what’s the point? Good thing was I’ve now been exposed to what I find to be more interesting rums, stuff like Jamaican rum with all that funk.  I still like Foursquare it’s consistent, stuff but can still get like Seale 12 year at 90+ proof and under $45.  

Well, bye.

DC944E76-7B03-4396-9AFF-84EE7757587D.gif

The gif made my day lol.  Frankly, this isn't super surprising to me since that interview that declared 4S as the "Pappy of rum".  Overhyped and slightly overpriced, no complaints here, still plenty of good stuff out there for cheaper.

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

The gif made my day lol.  Frankly, this isn't super surprising to me since that interview that declared 4S as the "Pappy of rum".  Overhyped and slightly overpriced, no complaints here, still plenty of good stuff out there for cheaper.

Yeah, I think you are correct.  I am thankful that the interwebs have brought me the connections and friendships with those that I've chatted with online and spent time with in person from StraightBourbon.  But the interwebs have also royally f&$ked the fine spirits market with overhype and all the FOMO that comes with it.  The only victim on the internet that pisses me off more than what's happened to booze is it's impact on politics.  Now there's a grade "A" shit show.  

Through the encouragement of some members here, I had just started to get interested in rums and now that has quickly been shut down.  Moving on.  I don't need another hobby to irritate me.  I already have high blood pressure. 

21 hours ago, BigRich said:

Yeah, I think you are correct.  I am thankful that the interwebs have brought me the connections and friendships with those that I've chatted with online and spent time with in person from StraightBourbon.  But the interwebs have also royally f&$ked the fine spirits market with overhype and all the FOMO that comes with it.  The only victim on the internet that pisses me off more than what's happened to booze is it's impact on politics.  Now there's a grade "A" shit show.  

Through the encouragement of some members here, I had just started to get interested in rums and now that has quickly been shut down.  Moving on.  I don't need another hobby to irritate me.  I already have high blood pressure. 

Between Bruce/Paul/Marek and the many other knowledgeable members here, we can guide you to other non-4S rums that are equally fantastic and more readily available.  Seek and ye shall find...

Total Wine had 1 bottle of 4S 2009 on the shelf today so it went home with me... Hope to compare with the 10yr Ron Izalco group pick I got on Friday 

8 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Total Wine had 1 bottle of 4S 2009 on the shelf today so it went home with me... Hope to compare with the 10yr Ron Izalco group pick I got on Friday 

How much was it, if you don’t mind?