What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

Trying to liven up the rum area since its been a little slow since its split off.

In addition to the bourbon today, while at Binny's I grabbed a SA Revelation rum and a Kirk and Sweeney 23yr rum.

With both being a additional 15% off today, that's some pretty sweet sipping!

B

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to liven up the rum area since its been a little slow since its split off.

In addition to the bourbon today, while at Binny's I grabbed a SA Revelation rum and a Kirk and Sweeney 23yr rum.

With both being a additional 15% off today, that's some pretty sweet sipping!

B

Look forward to your tasting notes on the Smooth Ambler. Been looking for a bottle of it myself.

I bought the Duncan Taylor Guyanas - the 1989 Uitvlught and the 1985 Enmore

I also bought the Single Barrel El Dorado PM Port Mourant, and the Eclipse 6yr El Dorado white rum.

Initial reviews:

Of the DTs: I'm familiar with these flavors via the Cadenhead bottlings - Grassy. I like the Uitvlught a bit better because there's more of a molasses balance to it, but I wouldn't call it balanced - just closer to balanced. I'm not going to go and buy more of either at the pricing, but both bottles will go down well.

The PM single barrel I expected to be among the worst given the reviews out there, but honestly I thought it was the best. It's very woody and dry - but we bought the dry because we wanted the taste of the stills and not sugar. I think the Uitvlught and the Enmore have a gasoliney taste which I can get into, but the Port Morant has an elegance that runs outside of this. I think I am starting to define myself as a Port Morant man.

The ED6 was good for cocktails. It's still hot, but what sugar is added will likely be popular in cocktails that already call for simple syrup and such like.

I also bought the Single Barrel El Dorado PM Port Mourant, and the Eclipse 6yr El Dorado white rum.

Initial reviews:

Of the DTs: I'm familiar with these flavors via the Cadenhead bottlings - Grassy. I like the Uitvlught a bit better because there's more of a molasses balance to it, but I wouldn't call it balanced - just closer to balanced. I'm not going to go and buy more of either at the pricing, but both bottles will go down well.

The PM single barrel I expected to be among the worst given the reviews out there, but honestly I thought it was the best. It's very woody and dry - but we bought the dry because we wanted the taste of the stills and not sugar. I think the Uitvlught and the Enmore have a gasoliney taste which I can get into, but the Port Morant has an elegance that runs outside of this. I think I am starting to define myself as a Port Morant man.

The ED6 was good for cocktails. It's still hot, but what sugar is added will likely be popular in cocktails that already call for simple syrup and such like.

Have you had all three of the El Dorado "single still" bottlings? Sounds like you have. Maybe they are in fact also single barrel and that is what the label says although I am not entirely convinced that is the case. But the unique character to me is that it is a single still rum distillate (given that ED has many different unique antique stills it uses to blend for its standard line) and this is one of the only ways to get a distillery bottling from a single still as far as I know. I didn't really think of the PM as super dry but then I didn't get quite the gasoline character you note either. I guess I need to try them again!

Initial reviews:

Picked up a bottle of Don Pancho Origenes 8. Hopefully this one is tasty but not overly sweet.

• 1 month later...

Broke down and bought a "neat" looking bottle. I've been eyeing it for going on a year now, but always passing on it. I know it's likely got some vague questionable history to it, but the bottle, combined with me being a sucker for aged juice, got the best of me.

The bottle in question, Mocambo 20yr. Yah, go ahead and laugh, but sometimes you got to do it to satisfy your curiosities.

B

Broke down and bought a "neat" looking bottle. I've been eyeing it for going on a year now, but always passing on it. I know it's likely got some vague questionable history to it, but the bottle, combined with me being a sucker for aged juice, got the best of me.

The bottle in question, Mocambo 20yr. Yah, go ahead and laugh, but sometimes you got to do it to satisfy your curiosities.

B

I for one would never laugh at the need to scratch an itch. Especially since I have done it many times! This review doesn't sound half bad but like most rum, especially coming from Mexico, it is pretty safe to assume that color, sugar and other additives are a high possibility. The comparison to Ron Los Valientes 20 seems particularly intriguing.

That said, if you like it then does it really matter? Not to me!

I was gifted a bottle of Madeira Sweet Wine finish 15 year old El Dorado and it is extremely good. The rich fruity wine accents are the perfectly complement to the tropical fruit-like character of the El Dorado.

While the 15 (vs. the 12 or younger) can be a little dry sometimes, the sweetness of the Madeira cask is the perfect counterpoint to that.

Gary

I was gifted a bottle of Madeira Sweet Wine finish 15 year old El Dorado and it is extremely good. The rich fruity wine accents are the perfectly complement to the tropical fruit-like character of the El Dorado.

While the 15 (vs. the 12 or younger) can be a little dry sometimes, the sweetness of the Madeira cask is the perfect counterpoint to that.

Gary

Is this an El Dorado brand special finis or some sort of independent bottling? I always thought both the 12 and 15 were already pretty sweet but it would be interesting to try.

I saw a review nothing that they have filed a label for Red Wine Cask, Sauternes, White Port, Ruby Port and Dry and Sweet Madeira and Party Source has them all listed. They are certainly a spendy little bugger at about 3 times what the 15 costs. Hmm.

Edited by tanstaafl2

On November 28, 2015 at 1:26:03 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Is this an El Dorado brand special finis or some sort of independent bottling? I always thought both the 12 and 15 were already pretty sweet but it would be interesting to try.

I saw a review nothing that they have filed a label for Red Wine Cask, Sauternes, White Port, Ruby Port and Dry and Sweet Madeira and Party Source has them all listed. They are certainly a spendy little bugger at about 3 times what the 15 costs. Hmm.

It has the standard El Dorado label except with a yellow band on the top portion, white on the bottom.  It's a distillery bottling with all the usual manufacturer ID you see on their other brands. It's even sweeter than the regular 12 and this suits the 15 which I always found too dry.

Bruce, I know you will not hold this against me, but I vatted it with Westerhall Estate Vintage Rum from Grenada. 1 part the El Dorado to 3 of the other. It adds just that sweet element I like and "corrects" what I find is an over-dry (woody) palate in the Westerhall. I still have some of the ED Madeira on its own.  This is a good example of vatting practice, in that I wouldn't try the reverse in any proportions, it wouldn't make sense.  I have now just a few ounces left of the ED on its own. I might top up the bottle with El Dorado 12 though, that would make a lot of sense.

Gary Gillman

www.beeretseq.com

Edited by Gillman

6 hours ago, Gillman said:

It has the standard El Dorado label except with a yellow band on the top portion, white on the bottom.  It's a distillery bottling with all the usual manufacturer ID you see on their other brands. It's even sweeter than the regular 12 and this suits the 15 which I always found too dry.

Bruce, I know you will not hold this against me, but I vatted it with Westerhall Estate Vintage Rum from Grenada. 1 part the El Dorado to 3 of the other. It adds just that sweet element I like and "corrects" what I find is an over-dry (woody) palate in the Westerhall. I still have some of the ED Madeira on its own.  This is a good example of vatting practice, in that I wouldn't try the reverse in any proportions, it wouldn't make sense.  I have now just a few ounces left of the ED on its own. I might top up the bottle with El Dorado 12 though, that would make a lot of sense.

Gary Gillman

www.beeretseq.com

I would never question trying a vatting at least once! Indeed I think the standard ED is a good choice to blend with other rums. Not terribly expensive and fairly readily available only help it make more sense. I agree, there seems little point in doing that with the spendy finished reserve bottlings.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I would never question trying a vatting at least once! Indeed I think the standard ED is a good choice to blend with other rums. Not terribly expensive and fairly readily available only help it make more sense. I agree, there seems little point in doing that with the spendy finished reserve bottlings.

Yes, I meant I would use a reserve like ED Madeira 15 for vatting but adding relatively little to another, in effect as a seasoning or finish. I don't see the Madeira as a base, in other words, but regular ED (the 5 years, say) yes, for sure.

Gary Gillman

www.beeretseq.com

Edited by Gillman
typo

Well, as I said I would never be opposed to a vatting once. Not sure I would be as bold as to use the relatively pricey ED Reserve but sounds like it was just what was called for!

A couple weeks ago (I don't make it to this area of the forum often) I purchased the trio of Lost Spirits rums:  Navy Style, Cuban Style, and Polynesian Style ($40 each).  I'm afraid they will sit in the bunker for a while as my open whiskey bottles need to be finished to make rum for new bottles of, well, anything.  I'm excited to try them though.

I saw that there will be a Colonial Style rum next?  I have not spotted it yet.

Jason

Would be curious to know how different they are from one another. I have the Navy style and like it fine, especially for mixing given its proof. It is a bit funky as we found in our tasting from April 2014

Tiare seemed to like the Colonial rum. Not sure the Espresso notes would appeal to me but I am not a coffee drinker.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Bought a 12 case of Pusser's Overproof 151. Hard to get in the UK.

Of course, I haven't bought it until it successfully arrives, so fingers are still crossed.

I've still got some Lemon Hart (Mosaiq, not the real deal) and Hamilton Demerara 151 in the US, but I wanted a 151 for floats in tiki cocktails in the UK, and unfortunately with overproofs, ya can't take the bastards on planes!

Thanks to a fantastic heads up from a fellow SBer (who also helped me acquire a few other odds and ends as well) I was able to acquire the 9yo Hamilton St Lucia cask strength (122.6 proof) rum from last year. Never came to my area that I know of so figured I had missed out. Hope it proves to be decent!

5669f0e07efd9_HamiltonStLuciarum.jpeg.4d

Sure enough, the Pusser's 151 could not be supplied. Out of stock, they say.

Nothing gets me so fired up about buying a bottle as someone telling me I can't have it!

I SHALL SUCCEED.

6 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Sure enough, the Pusser's 151 could not be supplied. Out of stock, they say.

Nothing gets me so fired up about buying a bottle as someone telling me I can't have it!

I SHALL SUCCEED.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I have not had it before. Anything else work as a substitute? Do you have any Lemon Hart 151 for comparison for example?

I don't have any original LH151. I have the Mosaiq re-issue (of faint praise) and also the Hamilton Demerara151.

Trouble is, I want to use them in the UK and I can't take them on planes to get them there!

Ah, the rare drinks hobby - if it were easy, ANYONE could do it!

Good work on the St Lucias above. Haven't had the chance to try mine yet!

15 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I don't have any original LH151. I have the Mosaiq re-issue (of faint praise) and also the Hamilton Demerara151.

Trouble is, I want to use them in the UK and I can't take them on planes to get them there!

Ah, the rare drinks hobby - if it were easy, ANYONE could do it!

Good work on the St Lucias above. Haven't had the chance to try mine yet!

Don't ask, don't tell!

Or rebottle...

As for the Mosaiq re-issue I thought it was a pretty decent replacement for use in cocktails. Then again I still have a couple of the original LH151 bottles left as well for "special" occasions!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Wife & I decided to try out a bunch of Tiki cocktails so we had to stock up on some different rums first. We got:

Prichard's Crystal (White - America)
Flor de Cana 7yr Gran Reserva (Gold - Nicaragua)
Appleton Estates Extra 12yr (Dark - Jamaica)
El Dorado 12 (Demerara - Guyana)
Rhum Barbancourt (closest to an Agricole I could get - Haiti)
J. Wray & Nephew Overpoof (Overproof White - Jamaica)
Gosling's Black Seal 151 (closest to Lemonhart 151 I could get - Bermuda)

My favorite sipper is the El Dorado 12 by far, my favorite in a cocktail has been the JWray in a Daquiri even though that's about the simplest thing I've made with them... Any combination of them definitely makes it feel a little more tropical around here when the sun goes down at 4:30PM!

JWray sounds like it would be a really funky butt kicking Daiquiri! Traditionally the Daiquiri is made with a Spanish style white rum like HC Anejo blanco or better yet the 3yo but I tend towards Clement 100 proof blanco when I want to add a bit of funk and like to pay a little Floridita homage in mine using a little maraschino liqueur ala Constantino Ribalaigua Vert (Sometimes known as the Daiquiri #3). Can add a bit of white grapefruit (much preferred over the sweeter pink grapefruit) when available if you want to get a bit of Hemingway mythos in the mix.

Plantation 3 Star is another aged and filtered blanco that works well. No experience with the Pritchards Crystal. And if you want to bring a little of the El Dorado flavor to it the 3 year old is another good option.

Can you tell I like the aged Blanco's??? :D