What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

On 1/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, Kpiz said:

I also just ordered the new Real McCoy Limited Edition 10yo virgin oak: https://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1340531

The label says it has a high ratio of pot-to-column distillate, and that a portion was aged for 12 years in ex-bourbon barrels while another portion was aged 10 years in virgin oak. The new-oak aging is intriguing to me so I couldn't help myself. Unfortunately there's no indication of what percent is pot distilled, what percent is used oak vs new oak, or whether the new ("virgin") oak is toasted or charred (and to what degree).

Richard Seale has said it's a higher percentage of pot still to column still as compared to Doorly's. But I'm not sure what that percentage is. I know they usually blend the pot and column rums before they go into the barrel, and then blend again after.

1 hour ago, arbeck said:

Richard Seale has said it's a higher percentage of pot still to column still as compared to Doorly's. But I'm not sure what that percentage is. I know they usually blend the pot and column rums before they go into the barrel, and then blend again after.

Thanks for the additional info! I didn't realize they blend pot/column distillate pre-barreling. Or maybe I did know and just forgot. If pot/column are combined before barreling, they must have put a higher ratio of pot/column in the virgin oak. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to know that the RM 10yo LE has more pot distillate than any other blend they do (e.g. Doorly's)

On 1/12/2018 at 3:16 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Apparently someone was hitting the rum a little hard when they wrote that one!

Seems like they took a new job with Alexandre Gabriel… Barbardos?

IMG_8174.thumb.jpg.ac69b8e2242e55d3b8c97cf8ca6cf731.jpg

• I like it 1

Picked up my smugglers cove real mccoy, stolen overproof and KD 9 year hampden today. Might be a little while before I open one, then again, it might not.

Finally unpacked all the spoils from my trip to the UK over the holidays. In addition to a 2017 FRLESmB and a couple little bottles of scotch, I brought home these bottles of rum. From left to right there’s a 17yo Caroni at 66.6% ABV that I filled from the live casks at The Whisky Exchange (I got to taste it and it was pretty darn good), a 13yo Fijian rum from the Cadenhead’s “cask ends” series that the whisky monger described as “oaky”, and an 18yo BBR Caroni I bought at Royal Mile Whiskies (the liquor section at the actual BBR shop was pretty disappointing)

fb9626df2b106283f59b2e31af2447da.jpg

And a picture of the fill-your-own bottles at TWE

2518aa9857128a61259593054716eff2.jpg

3940156ac45b526feb5a8d2a9cff7260.jpg

4c47ba7950b503ddf407cbf282bd0de2.jpg

• I like it 3

The family was sleeping in, so I made an early morning rum run to Mississippi. I rarely buy back-up bottles, but I had to grab another Blackadder Hampden-- as the first has been getting lots of use.

IMG_8187.thumb.JPG.d042765a42c0657143e7bd1e99c250a0.JPG

• I like it 1

The family was sleeping in, so I made an early morning rum run to Mississippi. I rarely buy back-up bottles, but I had to grab another Blackadder Hampden-- as the first has been getting lots of use.

IMG_8187.thumb.JPG.d042765a42c0657143e7bd1e99c250a0.JPG

Nice! Did you get all of those at LRP?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally unpacked all the spoils from my trip to the UK over the holidays. In addition to a 2017 FRLESmB and a couple little bottles of scotch, I brought home these bottles of rum. From left to right there’s a 17yo Caroni at 66.6% ABV that I filled from the live casks at The Whisky Exchange (I got to taste it and it was pretty darn good), a 13yo Fijian rum from the Cadenhead’s “cask ends” series that the whisky monger described as “oaky”, and an 18yo BBR Caroni I bought at Royal Mile Whiskies (the liquor section at the actual BBR shop was pretty disappointing)

fb9626df2b106283f59b2e31af2447da.jpg

And a picture of the fill-your-own bottles at TWE

2518aa9857128a61259593054716eff2.jpg

3940156ac45b526feb5a8d2a9cff7260.jpg

4c47ba7950b503ddf407cbf282bd0de2.jpg

That's pretty cool! I'll have to see if I can make it to TWE the next time I'm in the UK.

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yes, it's an amazing place.

That's pretty cool! I'll have to see if I can make it to TWE the next time I'm in the UK.

Yeah it was a nice shop and the ability to sample/buy from the live casks was a bonus. I almost skipped it but am glad I didn’t. There are lots of other cool shops in London as well though - sounds like you’ve been to the UK so you probably know, but let me know if you want any recommendations.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:12 PM, lcpfratn said:

What/where is LRP?

What/where is LRP?

Lincoln Road Package store is in Hattiesburg, MS. Even though it is located in a relatively small city, and where the state acts as the distributor for most liquor, they have a national reputation for private selections of bourbon and other liquor, as well as their overall store selection.

I will be stopping by this week for the first time even though I'm originally from the area. I've been to several stores in Tennessee that have told me about them. Several members of SB have also bought from them and had them ship bottles to their home, while others have traveled out of their way just to stop by and shop.

• I like it 1

If you're in Hattiesburg, I would recommend lunch or dinner at the Purple Parrot-- outstanding drinks at their Branch Bar.

This represents a weeklong pick from different venues. I'm back on a run of American rums, it's been a while-- and I've already busted into the Roulaison, which is actually pretty interesting stuff given how fresh the tiny distillery is.

IMG_8562.thumb.jpg.8e5b22c8c0fee67a924402ecf79a0e87.jpg

This represents a weeklong pick from different venues. I'm back on a run of American rums, it's been a while-- and I've already busted into the Roulaison, which is actually pretty interesting stuff given how fresh the tiny distillery is.

Is that the Velier 17yo Caroni released for the US? Definitely interested in hearing how that is

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I've been tempted to pick up one of those HSE Agricoles looking forward to your thoughts on that one

2 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I've been tempted to pick up one of those HSE Agricoles looking forward to your thoughts on that one

The HSE is great-- very spicy. Tastes like I'm drinking an unsweetened Sailor Jerry through a warm green garden hose. I'll have to SBSBS it with a JM VSOP and Damoiseau VSOP.

The Caroni immediately takes me back to high school, repairing tires at the gas station. It's like the moment you pull a hot road-worn steel-belted radial off the rim and start grinding into the rubber. The finish is going on 20 minutes now-- this is cool juice.

IMG_8565.thumb.jpg.ccff229a30eb4e9472e7fe3b185da815.jpg

On 1/17/2018 at 3:47 AM, Marekv8 said:

Seems like they took a new job with Alexandre Gabriel… Barbardos?

IMG_8174.thumb.jpg.ac69b8e2242e55d3b8c97cf8ca6cf731.jpg

Just noticing this. This probably isn't Foursquare. Gabriel recently bought WIRD (west indies rum distillery) in Barbados. Perhaps (probably) he got some aged stock in the deal.

A lot of WIRD stock has been shipped to Europe for use by Ferrand and is bottled there. That avoids the Barbadian restrictions regarding additives. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, sailor22 said:

A lot of WIRD stock has been shipped to Europe for use by Ferrand and is bottled there. That avoids the Barbadian restrictions regarding additives. 

AKA bring on the heavy sugar dosing!

2 hours ago, Jamie76 said:

AKA bring on the heavy sugar dosing!

It's all about the boise with Plantation as far as I can tell

3 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It's all about the boise with Plantation as far as I can tell

Indeed...if that boise is made from oak chips and sugar.