What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

I cracked both for a taste, enjoy em, glad to have em, but bourbon is in no danger of being displaced as the go to so, they will linger, years if I had to wager.

Edited by kcgumbohead

Been out of Smith and Cross for a while now and made a few jars of spiced, bourbon cherries for old fashioneds so I picked up a new bottle (one of my favorite old fashioned spirits out there) and a lost spirits navy style 61% because I've never tried it.

No Dominus to be found, but my local enabler was able to get these from the distributor for me @$85 each. They’re in the bunker now, but looking forward to opening them up and doing a SBS with the 2004. 

48BC9BC5-64C4-4CED-A0F6-4150BB57F9B9.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 8:47 AM, gurgalunas said:

Had to travel to the other side of town to one of the mega LS to find these, but it's good to know it's available.  The 2005 came home with me, and already have a Zin Cask.  I broke open the 2005, and all I can say is wow.  To put it in bourbon terms, that 2005 is the GTS of my rum world.  Granted, my rum world is still a couple dozen bottles, but that complexity and finish is amazing.

20180526_152847-3024x1470.jpg

Those prices are unbelievable. The VA ABC has the 2005 on their website (currently unavailabe, future lottery pick maybe??) listed for $94.69 and the Premise for $73.49 also unavailable.

58 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Those prices are unbelievable. The VA ABC has the 2005 on their website (currently unavailabe, future lottery pick maybe??) listed for $94.69 and the Premise for $73.49 also unavailable.

Funny you would post that.  I was just down there again yesterday.  In June, they had Zin Cask, Premise, and Dominus, but out of 2005.  Here is the current selection and pricing...  the dominus was 89.99, one of which came home with me.  Also got a Clemente VSOP Rhum Agricole in the $35 range.

20180827_123810.jpg

1 hour ago, gurgalunas said:

Funny you would post that.  I was just down there again yesterday.  In June, they had Zin Cask, Premise, and Dominus, but out of 2005.  Here is the current selection and pricing...  the dominus was 89.99, one of which came home with me.  Also got a Clemente VSOP Rhum Agricole in the $35 range.

20180827_123810.jpg

Haven't seen any on the shelf near me, though I was able to get them shipped. The 2005 is very similar to the 2004 which was fabulous! A tad more robust and punchy perhaps. The Premise confused me for a bit, but I came around after getting deeper into the bottle. I haven't cracked the Dominus yet, so I'd love to read your thoughts on that one.

That Scarlet Ibis is worth a go as well.

2 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

20180827_123810.jpg

The Va ABC sells right around MSRP so based on the prices in Mo you guys must be swimming in rum if they're selling it so cheaply.  And it looks that's the regular price not a sale price.

8 hours ago, DCFan said:

The Va ABC sells right around MSRP so based on the prices in Mo you guys must be swimming in rum if they're selling it so cheaply.  And it looks that's the regular price not a sale price.

Actually, that is KS.  None of those are available in MO.  I've also found all in IL too.  The selection is actually abysmal, outside the FourSquare.  There are a few decent ones, but nowhere near what I'd like to be shopping for...

9 hours ago, Nomad said:

Haven't seen any on the shelf near me, though I was able to get them shipped. The 2005 is very similar to the 2004 which was fabulous! A tad more robust and punchy perhaps. The Premise confused me for a bit, but I came around after getting deeper into the bottle. I haven't cracked the Dominus yet, so I'd love to read your thoughts on that one.

That Scarlet Ibis is worth a go as well.

I havent opened the Premise or Dominus yet.  Agree with your take on the 2005 being robust.

Good to know on the Scarlet Ibis.  See it all the time.  What can you tell me about it?

13 hours ago, DCFan said:

Agreed. I special ordered it in MD and got the 2005 for $80 and felt fortunate. 

On 8/28/2018 at 6:30 PM, gurgalunas said:

I havent opened the Premise or Dominus yet.  Agree with your take on the 2005 being robust.

Good to know on the Scarlet Ibis.  See it all the time.  What can you tell me about it?

This is a lovely somewhat light, yet well-rounded rum. Somewhat dry and perfectly spicy. this is really smooth for a 3-5yo spirit. At 49% you would expect it to be hotter than it taste too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the last of K+L's recent Enmore.

It never went on close-out, alas. 

Another fine example of Bruce serving me something which ended up costing me a lot of money (for which I am nonetheless eternally grateful)

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Just bought the last of K+L's recent Enmore.

It never went on close-out, alas. 

Another fine example of Bruce serving me something which ended up costing me a lot of money (for which I am nonetheless eternally grateful)

Mine (and the Bellevue) remain unopened... Still trying to clear room on my open bottle shelf. But you tasting it and feeling the need to buy it is shooting it up the priority list.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Mine (and the Bellevue) remain unopened... Still trying to clear room on my open bottle shelf. But you tasting it and feeling the need to buy it is shooting it up the priority list.

I'm a Demerara fiend. I've even been to that distillery and walked amongst the stills. That bottle stopped me in my tracks. I HATE paying 200 for a bottle, this is a really bad boom situation. This is me saying I couldn't help it in this case.

It's cheaper than a bad girlfriend - and at least as delicious. And the rum will keep better... OK I'll stop here.

Promise me you'll open it this month and tell us what you think. Maybe the Bellevue will float your boat even better. But while those bottles are unopened you are denying yourself the expertise of knowing what those rums are like, which is a big deal. Open these bottles and open your world.

• I like it 3

On 9/8/2018 at 11:02 PM, The Black Tot said:

It's cheaper than a bad girlfriend - and at least as delicious. And the rum will keep better... OK I'll stop here.

Now that there is funny! And true...

• I like it 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, The Black Tot said:

haha this had me in stitches

Gawd--  nothing better than a cheap girlfriend and bad rum... no wait

delicious rum and a bad girlfriend...

cheap rum and a delicious girlfri….

How does that go again ? !?

• I like it 4

Stumbled across this while running errands today.  I've heard it mentioned before, but dont recall in what context...  Barrel Proof Jamaican pot still rum can't be all bad...

20180911_141917.jpg

• I like it 4

Stumbled across this while running errands today.  I've heard it mentioned before, but dont recall in what context...  Barrel Proof Jamaican pot still rum can't be all bad...
20180911_141917.thumb.jpg.6f74ff43f1ca8fa2ccba742af82c02c2.jpg

It’s pretty good stuff.
  • I like it 1

On 9/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, The Black Tot said:

I'm a Demerara fiend. I've even been to that distillery and walked amongst the stills. That bottle stopped me in my tracks. I HATE paying 200 for a bottle, this is a really bad boom situation. This is me saying I couldn't help it in this case.

Promise me you'll open it this month and tell us what you think. Maybe the Bellevue will float your boat even better. But while those bottles are unopened you are denying yourself the expertise of knowing what those rums are like, which is a big deal. Open these bottles and open your world.

Just got sick over the last few days, but once I can taste again, ill pop one of these open, promise.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

Just got sick over the last few days, but once I can taste again, ill pop one of these open, promise.

Do the Enmore - and don't forget to add a little water.

Get well soon 

Looking forward to cracking these open. I’ve tried the 8 year store pick Grander and liked it enough I went back and bought 2 more before they’re gone. 

AEC4E424-B6B7-4D67-9EA8-9F76192ECD42.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:53 PM, DeepCover said:

Okay, reporting back, this 12 year is awesome also. Coconut, candied almonds, Oak, tobacco.

11921349-21A3-4419-B167-49C5975211B6.jpeg

I will have to keep an eye out for it.  What is the cost on that bottle?

On 9/23/2018 at 3:42 PM, NDN98 said:

I will have to keep an eye out for it.  What is the cost on that bottle?

$36, not bad

• I like it 1