What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

33 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I am new in my rum journey and with a few tips from Bruce started with Appleton 12 (I didn't know my grandfather at all, but my father said he always drank Appleton) and Mt. Gay XO.  Today I used a $10 off $40 coupon at TW to get a 10 yo 2001 Plantation for $40 plus tax. Passed up (for now):

RL Seale 10 for $24

Doorly XO for $18

Doorly 8 for $20

Doorly 12 for $25

Plantation OFTD (1L) for $46

Hope I did well. I'm still a fledgling rum drinker so comments are welcome!

IMG_2612.JPG

I believe Plantation readily notes that they use something a bit like the caramel and boisé used in many big house cognacs to intensify color, sweetness, and texture (Plantation is owned by a cognac company, Ferrand, after all!). That isn't necessarily always a bad thing and they are at least up front about it, unlike many rum producers. They also tend to finish many of their rums in cognac casks as well so some of the sweetness could be a bit more from those barrels.

No idea where Planatation gets there island specific rums but in the case of Barbados but it might well be the West Indies Rum Distillery. Cockspur is one of their more common brands.

Picked up Mount Gay XO and a Cockspur 12 after reading the fatrumpirates review of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I believe Plantation readily notes that they use something a bit like the caramel and boisé used in many big house cognacs to intensify color, sweetness, and texture (Plantation is owned by a cognac company, Ferrand, after all!). That isn't necessarily always a bad thing and they are at least up front about it, unlike many rum producers. They also tend to finish many of their rums in cognac casks as well so some of the sweetness could be a bit more from those barrels.

No idea where Planatation gets there island specific rums but in the case of Barbados but it might well be the West Indies Rum Distillery. Cockspur is one of their more common brands.

Plantation hosted a tasting of 6 or 8 of their limited releases a couple years ago at Tales. What struck me was the similarity between rums that came from very different sources......that similarity was the result of the added sugar.  At the end of the tasting they provided us with two samples that they classified as "almost undrinkable" that were in fact the best rums poured that afternoon. If a smooth sweet drink is the objective then sugar or whatever sweetener is used is a useful tool.  If you want to taste the flavor of the original distillate artfully integrated with naturally occurring flavors from the wood it's aged in and balanced against the effects of oxidation then sugar and sweeteners are an obfuscation.

On 4/8/2017 at 5:48 AM, sailor22 said:

Plantation hosted a tasting of 6 or 8 of their limited releases a couple years ago at Tales. What struck me was the similarity between rums that came from very different sources......that similarity was the result of the added sugar.  At the end of the tasting they provided us with two samples that they classified as "almost undrinkable" that were in fact the best rums poured that afternoon. If a smooth sweet drink is the objective then sugar or whatever sweetener is used is a useful tool.  If you want to taste the flavor of the original distillate artfully integrated with naturally occurring flavors from the wood it's aged in and balanced against the effects of oxidation then sugar and sweeteners are an obfuscation.

This is a great story, thanks for sharing. It's kind of disheartening that they view unadulterated rum as a canvas rather than a finished work of art, but as Bruce said, Plantation is owned by a Cognac house, so I supposed I shouldn't be surprised. It's just a different approach to spirits than what many of us bourbon-minded folks are used to, and unfortunately for us, it seems to be the prevailing one in Rum at the moment.

On topic: I bought a bottle of Hamilton single barrel 9yo cask-strength rum. I just finished my only bottle of St. Lucian rum (the K&L Faultline NAS bottle from a couple years ago), which I really enjoyed, so I'm hoping this will be a worthy replacement.

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

Back from Costa Rica and brought a friend

1492009384564377767080.jpg

Good pickup. Also curious about the bottles next to it...good stuff?

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Good pickup. Also curious about the bottles next to it...good stuff?

Haven't actually tried it... At only ten bucks we got one for ourselves and one for Mimi for watching the kiddo

5 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

Haven't actually tried it... At only ten bucks we got one for ourselves and one for Mimi for watching the kiddo

I'm a sucker for coffee liqueurs. When you open it, let us know how it is over in the cocktail thread or the "what non-whiskey spirit are you drinking" thread

Recently picked up a Don Pancho 18 - perfect with a cigar, Real McCoy 12 LE, and a Foursquare 11 yr cask strength.

All outstanding pours.

19 hours ago, Kpiz said:

I'm a sucker for coffee liqueurs. When you open it, let us know how it is over in the cocktail thread or the "what non-whiskey spirit are you drinking" thread

I brought one of those back from Costa Rica and never did open it. Not much of a coffee liqueur guy, or coffee at all for that matter. Has to have been at least a decade ago!

I wonder how it holds up over time...

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I brought one of those back from Costa Rica and never did open it. Not much of a coffee liqueur guy, or coffee at all for that matter. Has to have been at least a decade ago!

I wonder how it holds up over time...

Time to find out!

In case you want to try it in a cocktail, one of the drinks I make most often at home is the Pavel Escobar, a drink I adapted from a cocktail originally created at Midnight Cowboy in Austin. It's a strange and hearty drink that really hits the spot on a chilly night.

Pavel Escobar:

2oz Elijah Craig (12yo preferably) or another bold, oaky bourbon

0.5 oz coffee liqueur

0.5 oz Becherovka

1 tsp maple syrup

1 tiny pinch of salt (easy to overdo this)

Stir all ingredients to dissolve syrup and salt, add ice, stir until chilled, strain into your choice of glass

Original cocktail, the "Lindsey's Lament" from Midnight Cowboy (the bar, not the movie):

1.75oz Eagle Rare 10yo

1oz Becherovka

0.25oz maple syrup

1 tiny pinch of salt

Basically the same mixing instructions as above

Now that I think about it, the Pavel could be really good with the right dry rum as a base. Hmmmmm....

3 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Time to find out!

In case you want to try it in a cocktail, one of the drinks I make most often at home is the Pavel Escobar, a drink I adapted from a cocktail originally created at Midnight Cowboy in Austin. It's a strange and hearty drink that really hits the spot on a chilly night.

Pavel Escobar:

2oz Elijah Craig (12yo preferably) or another bold, oaky bourbon

0.5 oz coffee liqueur

0.5 oz Becherovka

1 tsp maple syrup

1 tiny pinch of salt (easy to overdo this)

Stir all ingredients to dissolve syrup and salt, add ice, stir until chilled, strain into your choice of glass

Original cocktail, the "Lindsey's Lament" from Midnight Cowboy (the bar, not the movie):

1.75oz Eagle Rare 10yo

1oz Becherovka

0.25oz maple syrup

1 tiny pinch of salt

Basically the same mixing instructions as above

Now that I think about it, the Pavel could be really good with the right dry rum as a base. Hmmmmm....

Dang it, Kyle!!!!  I can do this, but I just used the rest of my Becherovka in a Fireball/Becherovka/Jäger Shooter last night!!!  Can I sub Fernet Branca for a Guido Escobar variant ?  :lol:

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Dang it, Kyle!!!!  I can do this, but I just used the rest of my Becherovka in a Fireball/Becherovka/Jäger Shooter last night!!!  Can I sub Fernet Branca for a Guido Escobar variant ?  :lol:

You cracked my cocktail naming code! You can substitute in the Fernet, but I can't be held responsible for any Sonny Corleone characteristics you may take on while consuming said concoction.

Fireball/Becherovka/Jäger... you mean an Eastern Bloc Bomber? ;)

48 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

You cracked my cocktail naming code! You can substitute in the Fernet, but I can't be held responsible for any Sonny Corleone characteristics you may take on while consuming said concoction.

Fireball/Becherovka/Jäger... you mean an Eastern Bloc Bomber? ;)

HEEHEEHEE!!! Love it!  :lol:

I'll go with the Fernet, then.  But, I'll betcherovka that Bruce has a bottle...or 7...that he can spot me if needed... :D

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'll go with the Fernet, then.  But, I'll betcherovka that Bruce has a bottle...or 7...that he can spot me if needed... [emoji3]

Haha I'll betcherovka you're right!

Well, Im not sure what it was, but something inspired me to make this cocktail with rum instead of bourbon tonight :D I decided to use a Jamaican rum (specifically a Monymusk 9yo that K&L brought in, which I don't care for neat). I kept all proportions the same, just used 2oz of this in place of the bourbon. It is actually excellent...though this rum is not particularly bold, it is 100 proof and stands up to the other ingredients nicely. A little bit of the rum funk comes through and adds yet another dimension to this interesting drink.

Edited by Kpiz

13 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'll go with the Fernet, then.  But, I'll betcherovka that Bruce has a bottle...or 7...that he can spot me if needed... :D

Nah, I am much more of a Unicum guy. But not Zwack!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought two backup bottles of the K&L exclusive Golden Devil Worthy Park 10yo. They put it on sale for $40, which I think is a steal. I have a bottle open now and it's quite good. Also bought another bottle of their Faultline "Caribbean" 17yo rum on sale for $60

Really excited to get these lovely bottles in the house. IMHO the 1931 blends are some of the most complex , interesting and delicious rums available but typically suffer from a lowish proof in the standard release. This 4th edition bottle is actually a recreation of the original blend as the entire batch was cut to bottling proof immediately after I got a bottle at barrel proof.

Trying to get the distillery to release something like a vertical case of all six 1931 blends with cask strength being an option for the last three.

Out of curiosity, would any of you guys pony up something like $150 to $200 for a barrel proof 1931 blend?1931CS-02.thumb.jpg.e0faf79a586282ec9071eecb3ab2114e.jpg

1 hour ago, sailor22 said:

Out of curiosity, would any of you guys pony up something like $150 to $200 for a barrel proof 1931 blend?

Wow, family size "sample" cask strength rums from St. Lucia! Looks like somebody has been in the islands again.

Does seem pretty pricey I have to admit given the 1931 is generally $50 or so at current proof (although admittedly apparently not available in the US at all) but I could consider it for that 2014 Fourth Edition Black Label bottle! Don't suppose we are talking about 1.75's are we? B)

I'd be willing to spend $150 on a CS version of 1931. Above that the chances of me buying it start to decrease, though I tend to be easily persuaded. I'd definitely be in if it's a 1.75!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sailor22 said:

Shaping up to be an especially delicious weekend!

New Rums.jpg

I'll say! Is that Bielle new? Don't remember that bottle when I was at the distillery last fall. How old is their version of "extra-vieux"? Is that how they label their 6yo or is it older than that?

The Kintra brand is a new one to me. A European bottler? Dutch perhaps? Can't find a lot of info on them.

Will be interesting to hear how the JM 1999 is. I am still dribbling out the last few pours of a JM 1994 and have a 1996 waiting in the wings.

Edited by tanstaafl2

The Bielle is a one time bottling for La Mason Du Whiskey's anniversary, no idea about the age of the spirit but LMdW hasn't let me down yet. Labeled extra old and 56%, sounds good to me.

Kintra is a euro only Indy bottler, and I think your right about Dutch.

JM 1999 is the only one I have gotten into so far, no notes yet but it's a pricy bottle and no regrets. :-)

Edited by sailor22