Decorating a bourbon room

GTD
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone have a website to recommend for cool bourbon pictures,art, paraphernalia, etc? I just did a bourbon room and I am looking for some neat wall decor.

Thanks in in advance for any help

No websites, but I have a few suggestions for you. If you have some spare time on a weekend or whenever, hit some garage and/or estate sales. Flea markets are good places to find stuff too. I've found glasses, decanters, ashtrays and other stuff this way. Also check with any liquor stores you frequent. Some displays and things they use for promotions or sales, they throw out when they're done with them if the distributor/sales people don't want them back. You can also make your own. I did that with bottle labels. I saved some, and was given some. I took a poster board, made a background added the labels and framed it. Came out okay. Hope this has helped some, or at least given you some options.

Cheers! Joe

post-3455-14489822822716_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489822822716_thumb.jpg

No websites, but I have a few suggestions for you. If you have some spare time on a weekend or whenever, hit some garage and/or estate sales. Flea markets are good places to find stuff too. I've found glasses, decanters, ashtrays and other stuff this way. Also check with any liquor stores you frequent. Some displays and things they use for promotions or sales, they throw out when they're done with them if the distributor/sales people don't want them back. You can also make your own. I did that with bottle labels. I saved some, and was given some. I took a poster board, made a background added the labels and framed it. Came out okay. Hope this has helped some, or at least given you some options.

Cheers! Joe

attachment.php?attachmentid=21589&stc=1

If you're able to visit the distilleries, they use bags and tissue with their logos that make for great craft projects as well.

Personally I'm a big fan of the barrel heads you can get at the distilleries.... combined with a few well thought out posters or blow ups of personal pictures taken on the KBT.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Excellent idea on the old labels.

I have a used BT barrel that I bought from a local microbrewery.

Looking for for some unique bourbon art to display on the wall.

I will post a picture soon of my bourbon room which is not yet finished....still need to add a TV and high top pub table.

Craigslist will have some finds now and then. Mirrors with bourbon branding on them. eBay is also a good suggestion.

It's not framed properly in this photo, but I picked this up last year at the Jim Beam Stillhouse. I like the sort of retro look to it.

post-563-14489822824147_thumb.jpg

post-563-14489822824147_thumb.jpg

Well, some related materials may be available online and via purchase while the current National Archives exhibit "Spirited Republic" is open. It contains documents related to the alcoholic beverage business. As the official US repository for important US Government documents, some of them are pretty interesting. A couple of links are:

http://www.spiritedrepublic.org and

http://www.archives.gov/press/press-releases/2015/nr15-19.html

For those visiting Washington DC, in addition to seeing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, you can see stuff related to pre-Prohibition, Prohibition, and post-Prohibition. For free - it's a federal facility. I bought a mug.

In this same vein, you might try searching online the gift shops of the Smithsonian Institution's various museums and art galleries as well as the National Gallery of Art and the Mellon Art Gallery. All have thousands of images and pretty good search engines. Some images are "free" while others can be purchased at reasonable prices in various sizes.

Along that same vein, look for a poster of the prohibition Era "Closed by order of the District Court". Could look nice.

Used barrel heads make good bourbon room decorations too. I have a JD barrel head that a buddy gave me. I used it to make a small table. I've know others who've hung them on their wall.

post-3455-14489822824709_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489822824709_thumb.jpg

Cheers! Joe

attachment.php?attachmentid=21589&stc=1

Is there an easy way to remove the labels? I love this idea.

I use the traditional method - light detergent in warm water. I fill the bottle with hot water then put the cork/cap on and submerge it. After an hour or so, I check to see if the edges are loosening. If so, I use a razor to slide under until I hit resistance, then back inthe bath. I dry them face down on I've used this on paper towels with parchment baking paper on top with a cutting board on that to make them flat. If the parchment paper sticks, I trim it. I've done this with wine, beer, and spirits bottles to good effect (some are easier than others, and some brands are better than others). I have several trash cans with labels glued to them. I paint the cans with flat latex paint and, ewhen the paint is dry, glue on the labels. Then shellac or varnish. I've never used that wide clear tape that allows you to apply the tape then peel the whole label off. If anybody else has, I'd like to know if it works as well as advertised.

Here's my take on the label thing... I found images of labels old and new on the internet, printed them out on some shipping label paper and cut them out, and placed them on the inside of my door. attachment.php?attachmentid=21605&stc=1

post-10789-14489822829937_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure of how much use this would be in your bourbon room but I thought it was a cool idea. Someone posted a few years ago about turning old bottle corks into magnets. I carved out the cork and glued a magnet into the cap. It's something fun and attractive to do with surplus corks.

post-7099-1448982284709_thumb.jpg

Not sure of how much use this would be in your bourbon room but I thought it was a cool idea. Someone posted a few years ago about turning old bottle corks into magnets. I carved out the cork and glued a magnet into the cap. It's something fun and attractive to do with surplus corks.

Thats a cool idea too. Thanks.

Does anyone have a website to recommend for cool bourbon pictures,art, paraphernalia, etc? I just did a bourbon room and I am looking for some neat wall decor.

Thanks in in advance for any help

Nick

if you look at thread 18 I linked her website where I bought a sign from her. That is awesome! Please let her know how pleased I am with the sign I purchased and how thoughtful her handwritten note was that she included. Not many vendors are that appreciative now days.

Oh and I love the coasters too. I will keep a check on her website for new items.

This is my attempt at a panorama shot of my Bourbon Corner that my wife calls the tacky-mo. I also love barrel heads, both authentic and advertising. There are six others that arn't shown in the picture. Now iif I can figure a way to put lifters and rails on my chair I have it made. Some I bought on ebay, some from liquor stores, etc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21657&stc=1

post-5814-14489822850909_thumb.jpg

post-5814-14489822851266_thumb.jpg

That is one awesome looking room Enoch! As a fellow barrel head lover I can really appreciate what you've put together there!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.