What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've continued my ride on the Bulleit train this week, but tonight I kicked it off with some WP, followed by Ritt.

Since it's thirsty Thursday, I'll probably go ahead and end up finishing with a pour of the Rittlepig blend...:grin:

CEHT followed by the new Pikesville. I could quibble about the price of both, but it sure is great how much the rye selection has expanded in the last few years.

Want to hear more about the new Pikesville compared to the CEHT, the latter is one of my personal faves...

Want to hear more about the new Pikesville compared to the CEHT, the latter is one of my personal faves...

I like the CEHT better — it's one of my favorites too. I think the Pikesville is a little hot and I get a lot more of a vanilla and floral flavors compared to Rittenhouse. I thought it was going to be like Rittenhouse but even better. I do like it, but I think it's a little disappointing.

I like the CEHT better — it's one of my favorites too. I think the Pikesville is a little hot and I get a lot more of a vanilla and floral flavors compared to Rittenhouse. I thought it was going to be like Rittenhouse but even better. I do like it, but I think it's a little disappointing.

Interesting. I had almost the opposite reaction between Ritt and the Pike. Of course it was a blind tasting so maybe I got the samples backwards... :cool:

THX, tans - we haven't (or at least I haven't) seen the new Pikesville here yet. I certainly will buy a bottle, but I think I'll do a blind tasting like you did. I keep Ritt around as it is a solid bonded rye, but for some reason it just doesn't grab me - neat or in Manhattans. F'rinstance, tonight we are doing Frisco cocktails (rye, Benedictine) and I picked a Redemption BP (the MGP 95% rye mashbill) off the shelf rather than the Ritt even though I'll adjust the recipe to account for the proof difference.

Pikesville by a mile for me. Though I didn't like my CEHT rye. Maybe it was a bad bottle but it had a funky artificial aftertaste to me.

I haven't tired Pikesville and Rittenhouse in a blind tasting yet. I think you just give me an idea of how to have to start the evening off...

Still on the lookout for the Pikesville but finished off a RITTBIB last night. For the $ value no rye compares IMO

Still on the lookout for the Pikesville but finished off a RITTBIB last night. For the $ value no rye compares IMO

I have several barrel proof MGP Ryes open on the bar and in the interest of science I did a quick SBS of: SAOS 8YO Rye (58.4%) from Ezra's barrel 1465, SAOS 8YO Rye (60.7%) from Ace's barrel 1367 and Single Cask Nation MGP Rye (60.9%) barrel 52. All were tasted uncut and blind in a glencairn. The similarities were striking. While I am not particularly good a identifying flavors, all had that christmas rye spice on the nose with a strong component of vanilla and barrel notes. Flavors were more similar than I would have guessed with the Ezra's barrel a bit lighter in flavor than the other two. Strong but integrated flavors - I did not pick up a strong taste of alcohol. Could not pick a winner between the Ace's barrel and the SCN barrel. I'll repeat this tasting in the near future with the addition of a couple of drops of water.

I've been pouring Bulleit and Rittlepig this week. Probably going to have to crack the Pikesville this weekend...:rolleyes:

Today I finished a bottle of the 90 proof JB rye; trying to decide if I should purchase another bottle.

Interesting thought for a sbs. KCR is one of my favorite ryes. I just opened the bottle of Pikesville that I bought and I love it! The nose is awesome. It has a straight caramel note. The taste is caramel with a hint of cinnamon. It heats up a little for the finish and lingers some. It is spicy, due to the rye, but sweeter than I was expecting. Given that it is a barely legal straight rye that makes sense. It is more like a ramped up spicy bourbon. In fact, I have had some FR OBSK and FR OBSQ with similar characteristics. I understand it to have the same mashbill as Ritt BIB but to be 2 years older and 10 proof points higher. While I like Ritt BIB, I think the extra age and proof take it from being good to being great.

I got my bottle for $40 and, given today's prices, I think that is a fair price. I believe the MSRP is supposed to be $50 which makes it a little closer call on value. I will be following up with a SOAS 8-year 116 proof for comparison. The SOAS is one of my favorite SB ryes. I think the Pikesville will hold up well in comparison.

I too am a fan of the KC (so balanced and subtle with the notes being played), and pretty much fully agree with your assessment of the PKSVL. This is an unexpected surprise, in that I'm picking up everything from molasses (on the nose), to earthy coffee notes (at the far end of a good, fair finish).

I guess you could say that I'm really enjoying it, especially the fact that the rye kick doesn't hit until you get to the finish. It really lets you experience the breadth of flavors fully, then rewards you for your efforts at the end!

Pikesville hasn't made it out here yet but I'm greatly looking forward to it. The various reviews I'm reading here make me look forward to it more!

I started the night with a little RittBIB and am staying with the rye theme by following BFerguson's lead with a pout of Van Winkle rye. Wow is that ever something special.

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!