What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tried again, and will probably give up on, Ritt BIB last night. Don't like it in a Manhattan, don't like it in an OF, don't like it neat.

Loved Pikesville when I tried it though, so I think it's just the youth of the Ritt that I can't get past.

Just wish Pikesville didn't cost 2x-plus Ritt...Baby Saz is $33 around here. I'd gladly pay $40 for the extra proof of the Pike, but $50 is pushing it for me.

It may be noted as the 2nd best whiskey in the world (Pikesville), but it was only the second best pour I had last night! :rolleyes:

Not knocking it, but there's plenty of fine whiskey out there to be had! :toast:

So, just move along... nothing to see here! :grin:

It may be noted as the 2nd best whiskey in the world (Pikesville), but it was only the second best pour I had last night! :rolleyes:

Is that because the first best pour was Northern Harvest Rye? :)

Is that because the first best pour was Northern Harvest Rye? :)

Well yes, of course... everyone knows that's the one to grab, and to hell with all the other high dollar posers! :rolleyes:

I picked up a HWMWND Act 3 last evening, so I honored that purchase with a pour of my Act 2.6 from last year. Just an outstanding rye, so full of flavor. I think I have another bottle from last year in the bunker somewhere, Act 2.8 if I recall.

Just had my first taste of Pikesville. Impressive is correct. Much better flavor and balance than Ritt BIB.

Collinhwood 21yr rye.

While it's nice, to me, it's undistinctive from any other Canadian rye. I wS hoping for something different, but the same DNA is present.

It's not that it is bad, but just not what I had hoped for.

B

Started off with two fingers of the Rittlepig blend that has been married up for 6-8 weeks (@ 50/50), and is delicious.

Finished up with the Pikesville, which is no more complex than the RP, but is certainly the bolder of the two. I'd call it a draw... and I'm winning!

Working on a bottle of KC rye. I really like it but I doubt I will find another $20 bottle. In Indy, the price is in the mid-$30s. Unless I find it on sale, it is unlikely I will replace it since there are other preferred options in that price range or slightly above.

It feels more like Spring here, than Winter, but sitting out by the pond with a pour of High West Midwinter Nights Dram. The baking spices notes just explode from this whiskey on the nose and over the palate. Just wonderful body and I just want to chew on this for hours. But the shine is really on the finish, for me. This is where the hefty ABV (49.3%) really warms it up and the barrel influence bores through. If the nose and palate were the pecan pie, the finish is that pies perfect crust. Awesome stuff.

post-692-14489822983023_thumb.jpg

It feels more like Spring here, than Winter.

Same here in the UK...

Sipping a Barrel Proof Michter's Rye at the moment. Liking it very much.

Yeah, we were wearing T-shirts while walking the dogs today. Upon returning I actually reached for a bottle of Rye but opted for a beer instead.

CEHT Rye last evening.  It is really opening up nicely with a few weeks of air time, and I would say it is getting closer to being worth its current price point.  Rich, flavorful, spicy rye with a bit of caramel on the palate.  Tasted better neat than with the ice cube I threw in after a few sips.

Edited by jeffrey r

Just cracked my bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye and man is this stuff good. I'd say it's the best Rye that I've tasted. So far the ryes I've had are (Ritt BiB, Saz 6 year, Pikesville 110 proof, and Son of Bourye if that counts). This stuff blows those others away in my opinion.

46 minutes ago, taddraughn said:

Just cracked my bottle of High West Rendezvous Rye and man is this stuff good. I'd say it's the best Rye that I've tasted. So far the ryes I've had are (Ritt BiB, Saz 6 year, Pikesville 110 proof, and Son of Bourye if that counts). This stuff blows those others away in my opinion.

High West RR is great stuff.  If you haven't tracked it down yet, do try to find some of their Midwinter Night's Dram. That is really amazing stuff.  

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

High West RR is great stuff.  If you haven't tracked it down yet, do try to find some of their Midwinter Night's Dram. That is really amazing stuff.  

I actually just traded away one of the Four Roses LE from this year away for two bottles of that. Once from Act 2 and one from Act 3. Can't wait to try it.

SAOS Cask Strength tonight.  Much better after some time open - the fuel oil notes are gone and it's right in the sweet spot.  The rest of this bottle is going to go fast.....

A Store Pick HW RR SB CS Ex-Bourbon barrel finished (enough acronyms on that one?) , just nails it for me and I would really like to have a case of it for the 'long haul'

Well, celebrating getting home after a two-hour drive, earlier tonight I had a Ritt + Punt-e-Mes 2:1 Manhattan on the rocks -- 3 oz. altogether.  I don't drink most ryes neat even though I like high rye bourbons neat.  Go figure.

I also bought a 1.14 L of this and is in the bunker. This is a great start to a new beginning.

Edited by R-Savage

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!