What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Single Cask Nation 8YO MGP Rye.  Barrel proof.  With water:  pure rye spice and barrel notes with rye spice the dominant flavor. With ice this thing is screaming for bratwurst.

Edited by El Vino

On 12/12/2015, 11:30:50, El Vino said:

Single Cask Nation 8YO MGP Rye.  Barrel proof.  With water:  pure rye spice and barrel notes with rye spice the dominant flavor. With ice this thing is screaming for bratwurst.

I almost pulled the trigger on that one?

Worth it?

8 hours ago, jakerthesnaker79 said:

I almost pulled the trigger on that one?

Worth it?

I have two SAOS 8YO BP Rye's (Ace's and Ezra's) open in addition tot he SCN Rye.  I paid $60ish for the SAOS bottles.  I paid $80ish for the SCN.  Is it $20 better?  No.  Is it a really good barrel?  Yes.  None of my locals have any private barrels from SAOS, so I am relegated to buying from online sources.  I buy what I can.  SCN has a really cool glass stopper type closure though...

13 hours ago, El Vino said:

I have two SAOS 8YO BP Rye's (Ace's and Ezra's) open in addition tot he SCN Rye.  I paid $60ish for the SAOS bottles.  I paid $80ish for the SCN.  Is it $20 better?  No.  Is it a really good barrel?  Yes.  None of my locals have any private barrels from SAOS, so I am relegated to buying from online sources.  I buy what I can.  SCN has a really cool glass stopper type closure though...

Thanks, that is what I figured - all of the SAOS BP stuff here is gone as well so I am stuck like you buying online. 

Had my first HWMWND experience last night. Blew me away! I will have to pick up another bottle or two before it disappears for the year. 

Baby Saz.  I do not like rye whiskey, but I've had this bottle on my bar for about a year and a half and I'm tired of looking at it.  I'm powering through it to make room on the bar.

24 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Can you guys find hwmwnd around you regularly? I haven't seen any.

It is a limited release, so no. I got one bottle this year, and two last year. You'll never see it regularly, so it is either being in the right place at the right time, or having a relationship with a store. 

Yeah. I was hoping it would be on store shelves at least a few days, but it seems to have never made it on the shelves

I've been drinking Saz18 around the UK, Steve. Found one restaurant that had a bottle sitting there unloved since 2006!

15 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I've been drinking Saz18 around the UK, Steve. Found one restaurant that had a bottle sitting there unloved since 2006!

Now that is a good find.

Finally cracked open a Russell's Reserve 6 year old rye I have had for a while.  It's ok...well it's actually good...not on the same plane as others in the same price range such as RR and WT 101 though.  I much prefer those to the RRR 6 year.

Kicked off this holiday season with a nice pour of THH - which somehow always tastes a little better when it comes from someone else's bottle :lol:  

Or probably just tastes better when enjoyed with great company.  Just a fantastic rye that seems to scream holiday spice for me!

4 hours ago, darylld911 said:

Kicked off this holiday season with a nice pour of THH - which somehow always tastes a little better when it comes from someone else's bottle :lol:  

Or probably just tastes better when enjoyed with great company.  Just a fantastic rye that seems to scream holiday spice for me!

So true, and you just reminded me that I haven't had any Handy yet this holiday season. It's one of my "speaks Christmas to me" pours so I think some of this and some HWMWND are going to be on the docket later today.

4 hours ago, darylld911 said:

Or probably just tastes better when enjoyed with great company.

you nailed it

Also, bottles you "hate" will seem better when tasted blind and bottles you "love" will seem worse when tasted blind.

Edited by portwood

I followed through on my post above and started with HWMWND this evening, and boy did it ever hit the spot as both a fine whiskey as well as one that is so appropriate for the season. High West just knows how to strike the right balance of port influence (according to my palate) as this whiskey is just scrumptious. I'm following with some '13 Handy, which I just opened. I had a bottle of this when it first came out, followed with a '14 last year which I finished, and am now back to my stash of '13's (didn't get any this year) and wow, is this ever a good one. As much as I liked the '14, it isn't quite as good as the '13. 

Repeating last night so far with HWMWND followed by Handy. We're having Christmas dinner leftovers tonight while watching football so the whiskey is pairing very nicely with the food and season.

Had my first chance to try the new High West Yippee Ki-Yay whiskey which basically is Double Rye finished in a combination of Vya sweet vermouth and Syrah wine barrels. Has the lovely cinnamon notes that were present in samples of the Vya vermouth finished whiskey alone that I got to try a while back (and I confess would love to have a bottle of!) with a nice earthy character presumably coming from the Syrah finish. The Syrah helps cut the sweetness a bit, not that the sweetness bothered me. Bottled at 92 proof (would love to try it at 100 proof or more!) and very easy drinking as an after dinner hiskey although I am perfectly happy to drink it anytime!

568172df141f6_HighWestYippeeKiYay.JPG.33

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!