What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cracked open the new Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye. 104 proof and a similar price point to Pikesville, so I set aside a sample for when I finally get myself a bottle of that.

Initial impressions are mixed...Not as much of a wow as compared to my restaurant taste of Pike. I like it more than the RR SiB bourbon. I'll need to come back to it on a night I don't have chili for dinner.

It's doing quite well in a 2:1 Manhattan with Carpano Antica and a splash of Cointreau, though. It doesn't get overwhelmed by such a strong vermouth.

8 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

Cracked open the new Russel's Reserve Single Barrel Rye. 104 proof and a similar price point to Pikesville, so I set aside a sample for when I finally get myself a bottle of that.

Initial impressions are mixed...Not as much of a wow as compared to my restaurant taste of Pike. I like it more than the RR SiB bourbon. I'll need to come back to it on a night I don't have chili for dinner.

It's doing quite well in a 2:1 Manhattan with Carpano Antica and a splash of Cointreau, though. It doesn't get overwhelmed by such a strong vermouth.

I was tasting regular RR Rye with Gary Gillman and he appropriately characterized it in a positive way as a softer more feminine rye. I imagine the same applies to the  new higher proof and would agree it's going to have less of a wow factor than the bourbony Pikesville-which I like. 

Having at least one pour of this tonight, been sitting on it for months. Very nice! A bit pricey though.

Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015) (100 Proof)

Anyone know how many years on this one? The cannister sez by law at least 4 years.

OK, this is not really news, but I am drinking a distillery only bottling of a cask strength (121.2 Proof) single barrel Dad's Hat Rye over my Death Star Ice Ball.  Very tasty.  May The Force be with all of you Rye Whiskey drinkers out there for 2016.

death star ball compressed.jpg

I followed through on my New Year's Eve plan for an all in rye night. Saz 18, Van Winkle rye, Jefferson's 21yr rye, HWMWND, and finally some THH '13. I started at about 5pm and spaced out the pours slooowly so as to stay on my game all night.

On 12/31/2015, 7:41:43, MTNBourbon said:

Having at least one pour of this tonight, been sitting on it for months. Very nice! A bit pricey though.

Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015) (100 Proof)

Anyone know how many years on this one? The cannister sez by law at least 4 years.

BT hasn't or won't say but as you note it has to be at least 4yo and best guesstimate has been possibly as much as 8-9 years I believe based on discussion in this thread near the bottom of page 4.

Some speculation (mostly on my part with nothing to back it up!) that this, perhaps blended with the low rye mashbill in standard Sazerac rye or maybe some tucked away old Barton Rye (Just ask HW if Barton has had older rye lying about in the past...), may make up the replacement for VWFRR which is labeled as 13 years old. Just so happens that CEHT rye if rumors are true was first made about 13 years ago in 2003 which I think is also around the time the Van Winkles and BT joined forces.

Don't you just love it when the facts kinda sorta conform to meet your own personal paranoid conspiracy theory... B)

Is there a reason we don't just combine the what rye/bourbon/scotch did you buy/drink today threads into two threads? It seems like the same people post on them.

Finally got to try the High Wesf Yippee Ki-Yay this afternoon, and it is a delicious pour.  Love the hit of cinnamon towards the end, as Bruce had reported earlier.  Wonderful body, with a controlled sweetness that doesn't get out of line. Another fabulous High West offereing.  

It's a rye night for me. Started with some Willett 6 & 8 year SB and then OS 8 year SB. All are good, I'll give the edge to OS, it's just smoother and goes  down with ease. 

image.jpeg

SAOS 8YO SB Rye for me too.  Winter has finally arrived and I needed something get my insides warm while smoking a cigar with my son before he heads back to school tomorrow.

Watching some IU Basketball on TV, so figured I'd go with an Indiana Rye in Willett 4 yr.  They are honoring the '76 team, which was one the greatest college hoops team ever.  Indiana basketball, and IU basketball in particular, have always had a special place in my heart, as I got all caught up in all that is Indiana basketball after moving to Indiana from Georgia as a young boy a few years before that magical season.   I have spent most of my life in Georgia , but I always say that I am grateful for my 9 yrs in the Hoosier State for 2 reasons.  1, it's where I met my wife, and 2, it's where I learned how basketball is supposed to be played. 

And, who knew that they could make such great rye whiskey , there! :D:D:D:D:D

Continuing the rye fest with some WTRR last night.  Opened up with Ritt tonight, then moved on to the Pikesville. 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Continuing the rye fest with some WTRR last night.  Opened up with Ritt tonight, then moved on to the Pikesville. 

You are making me thirsty! I'm abstaining all week in an effort to reset the palate. I over indulged over the holidays and sensed that the taste buds were burned out because nothing tasted right the last two days of my break. (It was worth it though). Your lineup is tempting me to dive back in but I must stay strong.

13 hours ago, flahute said:

You are making me thirsty! I'm abstaining all week in an effort to reset the palate. I over indulged over the holidays and sensed that the taste buds were burned out because nothing tasted right the last two days of my break. (It was worth it though). Your lineup is tempting me to dive back in but I must stay strong.

Damn Steve, with the lineup you were drinking over the holidays, you may need a month off!  :lol:

db04c839f95c5353ce0967dd869cf344.jpg

Tonight, my first attempt at a Manhattan. Also some sugar muddled with an orange round, and then a fresh orange round in there. Not sure if it tastes like what a Manhattan is supposed to taste like, but I like it.

19 hours ago, Charlutz said:

db04c839f95c5353ce0967dd869cf344.jpg

Tonight, my first attempt at a Manhattan. Also some sugar muddled with an orange round, and then a fresh orange round in there. Not sure if it tastes like what a Manhattan is supposed to taste like, but I like it.

not trying to be critical, but you should try sweet vermouth; Noilly Prat is good.

I also think adding the orange and sugar makes it more of an Old Fashioned.

if you're willing to go crazy, consider Carpano Antica sweet vermouth

I'm loving this stuff; to me it smells and tastes like new leather; my dad worked in a tannery for 50 years (I only did one summer in the factory), so it brings back good memories.

I'm glad I was able to get a second bottle. Apparently limited, at least here in Illinois.

c5461581-31a8-4e1b-b9fc-7b974162680a_zps

2 hours ago, bigtoys said:

not trying to be critical, but you should try sweet vermouth; Noilly Prat is good.

I also think adding the orange and sugar makes it more of an Old Fashioned.

if you're willing to go crazy, consider Carpano Antica sweet vermouth

No worries. I had the dry vermouth on hand and figured I'd give it a try. I added the sugar to try another way to put some sweetness in there. I'm not a connoisseur of Manhattans but whatever you call it, I enjoyed what I made.  :D

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!