What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, SebastianLloyd said:

Is Whistle Pig Boss Hog worth the soul crushing price?

Hhhhmmm.  IMHO, nope, but that's just me.  I happen to like the Redemption Rye offerings (MGPI distillate) better at a lesser price.  OTOH, I have friends who do not care for the mint shot in MGP high ryes but like WPBH.  It could come down to the difference between MGP's high rye distillate vs. Gimli's "high rye" distillate - the flavors are different.  The quotes are because I am not as familiar with the Canadian rules re: what "rye" means.

HOWSOMEEVER, I do like Whistle Pig's products even while I don't like their loose advertising; I think they are less than forthcoming on just what they are selling.  So, at the price (although I certainly could afford them), I can find things I like better.  But, that's just me.

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Hhhhmmm.  IMHO, nope, but that's just me.  I happen to like the Redemption Rye offerings (MGPI distillate) better at a lesser price.  OTOH, I have friends who do not care for the mint shot in MGP high ryes but like WPBH.  It could come down to the difference between MGP's high rye distillate vs. Gimli's "high rye" distillate - the flavors are different.  The quotes are because I am not as familiar with the Canadian rules re: what "rye" means.

HOWSOMEEVER, I do like Whistle Pig's products even while I don't like their loose advertising; I think they are less than forthcoming on just what they are selling.  So, at the price (although I certainly could afford them), I can find things I like better.  But, that's just me.

To add onto what Harry said, I'd venture to say that if MGP rye is defined by a dill/mint flavor, than the WP (Alberta rye, though I don't know if they all are like this or just what they sell to WP) is defined by a pinesol type flavor. So first you need to know that you like that flavor. If you do, than it's a matter of if the extra age and amped up flavor from the higher proof impresses you enough to warrant the very steep price. For me it is not, though I did find one on sale and had a coupon so was able to obtain it a price I could stomach (barely). 

I agree with whatever Harry and Steve said!  :lol:

For me, the WPBH is an occasional bar pour.  I love it, just not the price.  There's just far too much other good stuff to use that cash on, IMO.

I do keep the standard WP in house at all times (as well as the Rittlepig Blend). 

Tonight, I'm having some Alberta Dark batch.  As a matter of fact, three fingers of it!  :D

On 1/2/2016, 10:18:06, tanstaafl2 said:

BT hasn't or won't say but as you note it has to be at least 4yo and best guesstimate has been possibly as much as 8-9 years I believe based on discussion in this thread near the bottom of page 4.

Some speculation (mostly on my part with nothing to back it up!) that this, perhaps blended with the low rye mashbill in standard Sazerac rye or maybe some tucked away old Barton Rye (Just ask HW if Barton has had older rye lying about in the past...), may make up the replacement for VWFRR which is labeled as 13 years old. Just so happens that CEHT rye if rumors are true was first made about 13 years ago in 2003 which I think is also around the time the Van Winkles and BT joined forces.

Don't you just love it when the facts kinda sorta conform to meet your own personal paranoid conspiracy theory... B)

Having at least one pour of this tonight, been sitting on it for months. Very nice! A bit pricey though.

Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Straight Rye BIB (2015) (100 Proof)

Anyone know how many years on this one? The cannister sez by law at least 4 years.

Thanks for the info.

WTRR in my glass while I ponder Mt's question as to why BT goes to such great lengths to keep us in the dark about their Taylor rye mashbill and age. 

Bueller, you out there?

I think a rye run is upon me. It was a Pikesville and WT101 Rye night to begin. Paddy, what's in your glass?

39 minutes ago, flahute said:

I think a rye run is upon me. It was a Pikesville and WT101 Rye night to begin. Paddy, what's in your glass?

Steve, I went with a two finger pour of Five Fathers.  And it's proving to be a most worthy iteration!  :D

WTRR, a PS KC and Pikesville.  Would have to go with the private selection KC as the winner of the chicken dinner tonight... absolutely delicious, while still smoothly drinking higher (@100) than the 110 Pikesville

Today, I finished a Wiser's Rye which is sort of a rye.  I don't drink most ryes neat, but this one I do (well, did - it's gone).

33 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Today, I finished a Wiser's Rye which is sort of a rye.  I don't drink most ryes neat, but this one I do (well, did - it's gone).

Which Wiser's rye was it.  I have been tempted to pick up their entry level rye to see what they are all about.

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

WTRR, a PS KC and Pikesville.  Would have to go with the private selection KC as the winner of the chicken dinner tonight... absolutely delicious, while still smoothly drinking higher (@100) than the 110 Pikesville

Talk to me about KC rye. This is one of the few I haven't tried yet. Where do you slot it in amongst the typically available ryes?

On 1/9/2016, 5:59:35, Charlutz said:

No worries. I had the dry vermouth on hand and figured I'd give it a try. I added the sugar to try another way to put some sweetness in there. I'm not a connoisseur of Manhattans but whatever you call it, I enjoyed what I made.  :D

Based on some admittedly limited experimentation, my favorite Manhattan version is the so-called "perfect Manhattan," which uses both sweet and dry vermouth.  The "dry Manhattan" is also a recognized variant.

15 hours ago, flahute said:

Talk to me about KC rye. This is one of the few I haven't tried yet. Where do you slot it in amongst the typically available ryes?

Not as 'earthy' as WT rye IMO, just a good, solidly balanced house rye.  The pour last night really surprised me, as it shined against the Pikesville (as many of the KC's I've had in the past wouldn't have). 

This Liquor Barn selection though...  :D 

I went with Pikesville to start the night last night then moved on to Whistle Pig 10 yr store selection, both were thin for me this time without much of a finish so I switched back to bourbon...

22 hours ago, Golzee said:

Which Wiser's rye was it.  I have been tempted to pick up their entry level rye to see what they are all about.

Wiser's Legacy.  It's nice.  That is, it is not a "typical" Canadian offering, not that there's anything wrong with them.:rolleyes:

Tonight [aside - whoa!! is the internet slow tonight - must be a big storm coming or something; lots of people on line] ANYWAY, tonight, I decided to "vat" my Pikesville 80 with my Pikesville 110 - 1:1.  That makes it about 95 proof.  Neat, here's what I find:

Getting a butterscotch nose.  First sip is pretty hot for a 95, but it isn't a pure alcohol burn; it's more of a red hot cinnamon/leather combo finishing with a menthol/grain flavor (betcha I could taste this even with a head cold - just saying). Took a break to check the clothes dryer - sips are sweeter now but not Old Fashioned sweet, more like (a simile, not a comparative flavor) good wheat toast with a thin layer of good apple butter - a little smoke, a little fruit, a little cinnamon, a little (very little) sugar.

A week or so ago, tanstaafl2 mentioned comparing this (51+% rye?) with Redemption (95% rye from MGPI).  I did that.  This does, indeed, have the bourbon (i.e., corn) undertones that Redemption does not and it, of course, does not have the mint that MGP ryes have.  But I do like the mouthfeel of this combo.  As I've written before, I don't usually drink ryes neat but do love them in cocktails.

I like this combo.  BUT, I'm not sure it is "better" than the 110 by itself  - just "other".  It is better, to me, than the 80 neat or the 110 with a small ice cube.

It sounds as if you have some additional research to do Harry!  I think the blend vs a neat pour of the Pikesville 110 in a blind SBS will do it!

As for me, I'm content with some JR Reserve Turkey in my glass tonight. 

Cheers!

Edited by Paddy

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

It sounds as if you have some additional research to do Harry!  I think the blend vs a neat pour of the Pikesville 110 in a blind SBS will do it!

As for me, I'm content with some JR Reserve Turkey in my glass tonight. 

Cheers!

I agree - more research from Harry so we can read about it.

I let you down Paddy. Thought I was going on a rye run but it fizzled after a day and I developed a hankerin' for BT mash 2.

32 minutes ago, flahute said:

I agree - more research from Harry so we can read about it.

I let you down Paddy. Thought I was going on a rye run but it fizzled after a day and I developed a hankerin' for BT mash 2.

More for me!  I finished up with a small pour of FF (Five Fathers)! 

48 minutes ago, Paddy said:

More for me!  I finished up with a small pour of FF (Five Fathers)! 

This reminds me.......with a name like Five Fathers, I think it deserves a five finger pour. (Recommend doing that in a glencairn so you can still walk afterward.)

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!