What rye are you drinking Fall/Winter 2015?

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Bulleit for me.  I find this to be a nice representation of the MGP profile, at a fair price! 

How do you compare this to Dickel Rye?

I think they're virtually indistinguishable Steve, and save the Lincoln Process, they are. 

In a blind SBS, I'd say I could guess correctly 50% of the time!  :lol:

15 hours ago, flahute said:

How do you compare this to Dickel Rye?

Dickel Rye has been maple charcoal filtered although it occurs after it has aged for a couple of years right before bottling instead of just after distillation like Dickel and JD whiskey. I find it may tend to tone down the dill character a touch compared to Bulleit and other younger MGP ryes and make it perhaps a touch sweeter. But it is a relatively subtle change I think.

The JD Rye, which should be coming out soon as it finally reaches about 4 years old, will have the charcoal filtering done before aging like the whiskey does and may be an interesting comparison although it is likely at a low 80 proof and $50 or more from what I hear. It is JD after all! There are also reports it will be produced as a single barrel at 94 proof. I don't know if the single barrel will be the only version. It is reported to be a 70% rye, 18% corn and 12% malted barley mashbill.

The early releases (unaged in 2012 and 2yo "rested" in 2014) were heavy on the banana which is saying something for me as I don't seem to have the banana taste buds on my tongue!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Thanks for the notes guys. I haven't had Dickel Rye in about 2 years and I remember liking it. I've had the Bulleit Rye more recently and didn't much care for it. Since it was so long between the tasting of the two, I couldn't remember anything well enough to distinguish them or not.

Having a glass of Baby Saz. Bought this bottle for a little less than $30. The last few times I've seen it on a shelf it was $35-40. Not sure if I'll be in a hurry to replace it at those prices. It is tasty though. 

Brother in law is visiting which means we're drinking a little bit of everything. Tonight was deemed to be a rye night after dinner, so we went big with some Saz 18, JPS 21yr rye, and finishing with Pikesville, which is holding its own.

Enjoying some lovely Collingwood 21yr - straight from the cologne bottle!  (well, straight from the bottle to my Glencairn I guess lol)

It's a RYE night to night. I'll get back with you boys on the best one...........starting with WP and OS. I just opened the Jeffersons  

image.thumb.jpeg.f0bbb6fa90e19ae7a167c13

Edited by LCWoody

Every now and then I get the urge to go to the back of the cabinet and dig out my Fleischmann's Straight Rye (not the current Mash Rye whiskey). It's only 80 proof and certainly not a complex whiskey.......but I like it. Tonight it's working just fine

12 hours ago, LCWoody said:

It's a RYE night to night. I'll get back with you boys on the best one...........starting with WP and OS. I just opened the Jeffersons  

image.thumb.jpeg.f0bbb6fa90e19ae7a167c13

Ok, I had a hard time picking just one. All are good ryes, but the 2 that left me wanting to have a 2nd glass were Jeffersons 10y & the OS 8y. Both are very different ryes, I guess that's why it's hard to pick one. But full disclosure I had more Jeffersons 10y, very good rye. Obviously WT Rye is in a class all its on, very bourbony. 

11 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Ok, I had a hard time picking just one. All are good ryes, but the 2 that left me wanting to have a 2nd glass were Jeffersons 10y & the OS 8y. Both are very different ryes, I guess that's why it's hard to pick one. But full disclosure I had more Jeffersons 10y, very good rye. Obviously WT Rye is in a class all its on, very bourbony. 

I love the Jeff 10 - especially the earlier batches that were NCF (although I have a batch 51 that was chill filtered, and still damn tasty!)

18 hours ago, darylld911 said:

I love the Jeff 10 - especially the earlier batches that were NCF (although I have a batch 51 that was chill filtered, and still damn tasty!)

Is Jeff 10 sourced from MGP?

7 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Is Jeff 10 sourced from MGP?

Jeff 10 rye is pretty much gone.  But when it was around, there was a period when it was sourced from Canada, and indicated as such on the bottle, and also a time near the end of its run when it was sourced from Kentucky, and indicated as such on the bottle.  I don't recall Jeff 10 ever being sourced from Indiana, but I don't know for sure. 

Anecdotally, the Canadian Jeff 10 seemed to be preferred over its Kentucky counterpart, especially the NCF version of the Canadian rye which was a bit rare.  I have one bottle left of the Jeff 10 Canadian rye (mine is not the NCF version).

Edited by jeffrey r

3 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Jeff 10 rye is pretty much gone.  But when it was around, there was a period when it was sourced from Canada, and indicated as such on the bottle, and also a time near the end of its run when it was sourced from Kentucky, and indicated as such on the bottle.  I don't recall Jeff 10 ever being sourced from Indiana, but I don't know for sure. 

Anecdotally, the Canadian Jeff 10 seemed to be preferred over its Kentucky counterpart, especially the NCF version of the Canadian rye which was a bit rare.  I have one bottle left of the Jeff 10 Canadian rye (mine is not the NCF version).

Thanks for the info Jeff.  In the picture, the bottle states "100% rye" so should we assume this was the Canadian version?  Has the been anyone in Kentucky in the recent past distilling a 100% rye mashbill?

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

Thanks for the info Jeff.  In the picture, the bottle states "100% rye" so should we assume this was the Canadian version?  Has the been anyone in Kentucky in the recent past distilling a 100% rye mashbill?

This thread will tell you all you need to know, and more.  But again, Jeff 10 rye at this point is pretty much a dusty.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/17585-jefferson-10-year-rye/?page=1

4 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Sadly, history with this brand has indicated one can assume nothing when it comes to any of the Jefferson's. The early Jeff 10 rye was very good and available at a superb price when it first came out. I have an early one that I am pretty sure is Canadian sourced but didn't have the NCF label (and can't recall if it said Canada on the label) yet cold temperatures quickly make it obvious it was NCF (looked like a damned snow globe!). Once the sticker that said Canada on it was removed it was a wild guess where it was sourced from. I don't think I ever had any that tasted like LDI/MGP but that doesn't mean there wasn't some. I can't recall if or when it indicated on the bottle it was Kentucky rye but if that is the case then it almost certainly isn't 100% rye anymore.

Tried cask strength SAOS 8 year for the first time this weekend. I bought a few of these last year because I'm a fan of the 7 year and there wasn't much of an increase in price. Hadn't gotten around to opening one because I've been trying to limit how many bottles l have open at once, but definitely glad I have a few backups of this because I don't think this bottle is going to last long. 

Visiting with my cousin with the plan of enjoying some old fashioneds which I normally do with 2 oz. of HWDR and 1/2 oz. of THH.  After a night of drinking, I wasn't paying attention and made the cocktails 100% from the THH.  That put me down hard but no hangover the next day.  That was a close one.

Bulleit Rye for me tonight. Also have a sample of Whistlepig Old World port finish that I may follow up with.

Cheers all!

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!