What Rye did you purchase today? Fall / Winter 2015

johnnybogey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was thinking Binny's had the Pikesville for $49.99. Maybe it was on sale. I am seeing it a lot of places in Indy for $43.99 to $46.99.

Bought a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and a bottle of CR Northern Harvest yesterday. Believe it or not, my first rue purchases since buying Seagrams 7 in college. I've realized lately that I like high-rye bourbon (OGD, 4R, etc) and decided to try some rye. After a first glass of each, the Rittenhouse is fantastic! I'm not sold on the CR Northern Harvest, but I'll give it another few drinks before I say for sure.

Bought a bottle of Rittenhouse BIB and a bottle of CR Northern Harvest yesterday. Believe it or not, my first rue purchases since buying Seagrams 7 in college. I've realized lately that I like high-rye bourbon (OGD, 4R, etc) and decided to try some rye. After a first glass of each, the Rittenhouse is fantastic! I'm not sold on the CR Northern Harvest, but I'll give it another few drinks before I say for sure.

Similar to the boat that I'm in. For a while I had only tried bourbon, and really liked high rye mashbills (also enjoy low rye). Bought a bottle of Son of Bourye and realized a needed to sample some rye whiskies. Have a bottle of Ritt BiB, Rendezvous Rye, and Sazerac Rye. So far only the Ritt opened of those three but really enjoy it, especially at it's price

Added some Midwinter Nights Dram this morning. Really looking forward to this one!

Pairs great with a cigar, BTW!

Took my own advice and picked up a bottle of the Astor Wines store pick of SAOS 9yo rye. Weighs in at 123.2 proof.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21871&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21872&stc=1

If it was bottled in January 2015 not sure when Astor got it but seems like it might have been sitting on the shelf for awhile. A bit pricey but not terrible by current standards or even NYC standards.

post-8493-14489822984606_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489822984826_thumb.jpeg

I got one of those Astor's 9-year SAOS ryes as well today. Also a liter of WT101 rye and the new Russell's Reserve single barrel rye. At 15% off I caved and decided to give the RRSB a shot. Curious to see how it stacks up against Pikesville (or WT101R for that matter!).

Seriously curious about the taste/impressions of the Astor 9 yr SAOS. The Astor tag does look like an after-delivery add-on. Following Tanstaafl2's comment, you wonder if these bottles had prior stops or were available some place else at higher price. Gift shop?

Seriously curious about the taste/impressions of the Astor 9 yr SAOS. The Astor tag does look like an after-delivery add-on. Following Tanstaafl2's comment, you wonder if these bottles had prior stops or were available some place else at higher price. Gift shop?

Interesting comment and good point about the tag. I have helped pick a couple of SA Bourbon's and they always had a place on the label for the store logo. We never got a chance to pick a rye but store pick ryes from other local stores had the same thing. So maybe this does have a "checkered" past of some sort.

Anywho, I will try to work it into the rotation as soon as I can.

Could be. I don't really care whether or not Astor selected it, though. That SAOS rye is good stuff!

Could be. I don't really care whether or not Astor selected it, though. That SAOS rye is good stuff!

I bought one today too. Their last private barrel sold out pretty quickly. They may have gone back to SA to see what they could get quickly. May not have had time to print the label and still get bottles to them in time for the holidays. I hope t wasn't the one that everyone else passed over!

Yeah...I jumped on that deal, too. Fingers crossed...

Got a regular SAOS Rye, too, and took a chance on the new Russells Reserve SiB Rye to round out the order.

Reading these last few posts is making me experience some WN tremors. I told myself I was done buying for the year and I've got a few SAOS 8 years in reserve... but damn if I didn't just see how much that 9 year would cost with shipping.

Edited by Spade

Just had my 9 year Astor SAOS delivered to my office in NYC today, along with some other goodies I picked up during the 15% off sale. Their 8 year is awesome, so I am sure this will be delicious. 

Can't believe I missed out on this 15% off at Astor deal.  Was really hoping to get a bottle of the 9yr rye for Christmas and now it looks to be sold out.  At least it appears to have all been taking by fellow SB members.  Looking forward to the reviews.

In retrospect I kind of wish now I had waited until this 15% off sale before I placed my order.  Would have paid for shipping and then some!

Local chain had their annual holiday sale today.  I picked up a few bottles of bourbon and was hoping the store I went to would have a Pikesville Rye or two.  Even though some of the other stores in the chain have on their shelf, this store hasn't had any for a while.  They had a few other options but I ended up picking up a Russell's Reserve Rye Single Barrel.  Since it was on sale for $55, I thought I would give it a try since I probably won't find it any cheaper. 

Got to love my wife.  She knew that I was hoping to score another Pikesville at $36. She told me I can always pick one up at the other store.  :D

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎24‎:‎18‎, amg said:

I got one of those Astor's 9-year SAOS ryes as well today. Also a liter of WT101 rye and the new Russell's Reserve single barrel rye. At 15% off I caved and decided to give the RRSB a shot. Curious to see how it stacks up against Pikesville (or WT101R for that matter!).

Haha...like minds on the RRSB.  I really like Pikesville so I am curious as well.  I saw a few BR SOAS SB ryes on the shelf the other day.  I have two so I held off.  :lol:

Picked up another Angel's Envy Rye ($75 at K&L) today. They only let you buy one at the time and are often out of stock so I try to keep a spare or two at home. There are better values in that price range but it's interesting and tasty and quite popular among my guests.

Picked up a Binnys HW Double Rye Manhattan barrel finish.  Must say this is quite enjoyable.  However, 100+ proof manhattans aren't sustainable, but they are highly drinkable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.