What Rye did you purchase today? Fall / Winter 2015

johnnybogey
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not a purchase but my wife bought me a bottle of HWMND Act 3, Scene 2 as a V-day present!  She's done alright by me!

On 2/13/2016, 8:23:30, LCWoody said:

I passed on the LS&B but did pick up the EHT Rye. I may have to go back and pick up the LS&B, that's as cheep as I've ever seen it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dc27b1ccf6acc7f4fa75513

On 2/13/2016, 2:21:46, BigRich said:

Yeah I might even pull the trigger if I saw it sub $100

As might I. Never really seemed to catch on for some reason and I still see it one the shelf locally but not at that price.

Yes, the LSBs seem to sit like monuments to an early high price attempt that failed.

I remember the producer stating that it was their intention two years later to release the same stuff as 15yr at a higher price point.

Would've liked to taste the 15, but after getting burned on the 13, I don't think a lot of stores would order them from their distributors.

Well, so much for my buying hiatus. :huh:  My local grocery store still has Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye on sale. After all the discussion here, my curiosity got the better of me, and I bought a bottle Saturday. What can I say? ^_^

Cheers! Joe

^^^^^^^^^Dang Joe, that's at least two ryes this year isn't it?^^^^^^^^^;)

P. S. Me thinks you'll find that NHR a pretty easy sipper...

The Jack Daniels "Single Barrel" Rye hit town this week. It is in the same bottle as the JD Single Barrel bourbon but with a maroon colored label and weighing in at the same proof (94).

Price is around $50 or so like the "unaged" and "rested" rye before it. Going to be tough to sell any leftover bottles of those two when the new release is higher proof, older (although NAS I presume it is at least 4 years old) but costs about the same.

Much too expensive, as they all were, but I of course bought one because, well, it was there!

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The Jack Daniels "Single Barrel" Rye hit town this week. It is in the same bottle as the JD Single Barrel bourbon but with a maroon colored label and weighing in at the same proof (94).

Price is around $50 or so like the "unaged" and "rested" rye before it. Going to be tough to sell any leftover bottles of those two when the new release is higher proof, older (although NAS I presume it is at least 4 years old) but costs about the same.

Much too expensive, as they all were, but I of course bought one because, well, it was there!

I've been curious about that one. Can't wait to read your notes.

Picked up a High West Double Rye. I really like the Rendezvous Rye and read a few good reviews of the DR. It was $35, which I think is a few bucks under retail or on the low side of retail and thought I'd give it a try. 

9 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I like the double rye, but not nearly as much as the rendezvous.

How would you compare the 2 to each other?

The JD Rye for those that might be curious. Hopefully get into it next week at the latest. Excessively spendy because it is "Jack Daniels" of course but a 70% rye mashbill and I am curious to see how it has progressed with age.

56c72598c6434_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye56c7259b3a41c_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye

I haven't finished off the double rye yet, but I've had two different bottles of rendezvous and liked both quite a bit. I haven't figured either of them out really. The flavors in the rr are hard to pick or because they all kind of blend together. They mesh well to me though, and make a pretty unique taste.

the double rye has a lot of similarities, but just seems to be missing the edge I get from the rr. It might just be that I know the rr better and I automatically compare the two. I need to drink more of the double rye on its own. At the moment I always try the DR and wind up getting a taste for the RR. If that makes sense.

I paid $35 for the DR and $53 for the RR so even if I prefer the RR, there may still be a place on my shelf for future bottles of the DR if I like it enough. 

Edited by Charlutz

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The JD Rye for those that might be curious. Hopefully get into it next week at the latest. Excessively spendy because it is "Jack Daniels" of course but a 70% rye mashbill and I am curious to see how it has progressed with age.

56c72598c6434_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye56c7259b3a41c_JackDanielsSingleBarrelrye

It sure is purr-ty.

I don't seeing myself buying it though unless I can be assured it doesn't have that JD banana taste. 

4 hours ago, meadeweber said:

It sure is purr-ty.

I don't seeing myself buying it though unless I can be assured it doesn't have that JD banana taste. 

I am not the best judge as I don't seem to have the "banana gene" but I will try to get a few others to try it as well!

Saw it at 2 stores tonight at $60. I passed. Maybe after I see a review or two. Too many good ryes out there for less. Pikesville 110 anyone?

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am not the best judge as I don't seem to have the "banana gene" but I will try to get a few others to try it as well!

If Jackie's doesn't have it in when I stop by there tomorrow, I trust I might be one of those few others to get a try?   :)

8 hours ago, meadeweber said:

It sure is purr-ty.

The "review" that one of the chains here posted trying to get me to buy it mentioned the banana note. That's one of the reasons I've hesitated on it. (that and an overabundance of good rye in the bunker)

28 minutes ago, amg said:

The "review" that one of the chains here posted trying to get me to buy it mentioned the banana note. That's one of the reasons I've hesitated on it. (that and an overabundance of good rye in the bunker)

Andrew, I don't find the banana note in Daniel's whiskies to be off-putting at all to my tastes...but, their unaged rye that I have tried has it in so much abundance that I can't help but think it will carry over to this 4 yr to some noticeable degree.  

I can find the double rye even cheaper here at around $29 a bottle, but the rendezvous is about the same.

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

If Jackie's doesn't have it in when I stop by there tomorrow, I trust I might be one of those few others to get a try?   :)

I expect we can make that happen! Are you going to the White Elephant event?

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I expect we can make that happen! Are you going to the White Elephant event?

I knew I could count on you.  :D

I'm looking forward to the WE.  Been kicking myself I missed last time.  Got my Boston's today, courtesy of BigRich.

I will make an effort to bring the JD Rye along that night. Nothing says we can't be drinking other whiskey while the exchange is happening!

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I will make an effort to bring the JD Rye along that night. Nothing says we can't be drinking other whiskey while the exchange is happening!

Bruce, I would be disappointed with you if it was anything less.

4 hours ago, BigRich said:

Bruce, I would be disappointed with you if it was anything less.

As would I!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.