BOTM 10/15: Noah's Mill

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry about missing the BOTM last month. Reckon I'll try and make up for it by being just a tad early for a change. :crazy:

This month's BOTM comes from a suggestion by a fellow member.

Personally, I've got just a little to share concerning my experiences with Noah's Mill. I'd tasted this a few times over the years. It never really struck me one way or the other as being good or bad. To me, it was just something that was okay. I really never thought about buying a bottle. Besides, I hardly ever saw it at any stores near where I live. Then lo and behold, it, along with a few other KBD bottlings starting popping up on the shelves everywhere. I was at a store (now closed) that had a tasting bar. They had a bottle of Noah's Mill opened. I decided to give it a try. Man was it tasty. :bigeyes: So, I decided to buy a bottle. Turns out the bottle I bought didn't taste anything at all like the one I had a sample from. As a side note here, I never bothered to check and see if the bottle I bought was from the same batch as the one I tasted. :rolleyes: For some reason, I never could get into it. What was left of my bottle, which was a lot, eventually found a new home. I've passed on Noah's Mill ever since. Mind y'all, this is just my personal experience, and I full well know that tastes differ. I also know that at least a couple of you folks like it. :)

I'm gonna do something just a bit different for a change. I visited the Willett/KBD website and saw they had tasting notes. Here's what they have to say about Noah's Mill.

Color

Polished Mahogany

Nose

Intensity – 4; Sooty, oak, cologne, leather, smoky

Palate

Salty, mint, musty, significant rye presence, yet with a creamy texture

Finish

Length – Long; Molasses, toffee, rich caramel, chocolate, fudge, peppermint

So there ya' go. Let's here what y'all have to say about Noah's Mill.

Cheers! Joe

I just finished a bottle of this. Started out rather harsh but the further I got into it the better it got. The high rye really started to show after about a third of the bottle.

A little water and some air time helps this pour a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Well I be darned it I didn't just open up a bottle of this 'bout 10 minutes before reading this post. I had a Rowen's Creek open for the last Vbt and figured I'd crack the 'big brother' to do a little SBS. Funny thing is... the batch #'s on my Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill bottles are the same. :grin: So my guess, is that one may be (or may not be) aged a little longer than the other, but we at least definitely know that the Rowan's Creek was proofed down a little further than the NM. To further confuse, I did not purchase the NM or RC at the same time (I do admit that they were purchased in the same store)! :skep:

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to giving this bottle a whirl. Been hearing good things about some recent batches of this stuff. I'll also be sure to throw my 2 cents worth into the pot. :lol:P

I've found NM to be rather variable, especially in the last few years. It definitely has some age on it.

The first couple bottles I had of it were fabulous (to my taste buddies, anyway). Of the last three, only one measured up to that level. The other two were OK; but not what I'd expect for the cheese charged.

Oh, and incidentally, I get very little of the stuff listed by the KBD website, as far as palate or nose... Thankfully! I will say it is usually 'creamy', and oak is obvious. Just my own experience(s).

Sighhh.......I've heard of fantastic bottles - including a recent batch - but have yet to experience this myself. I tried it at a bar back in the spring and got the same wet cardboard flavor I get from some other KBD products. I then opened up a bottle that purchased last year and got more of the wet cardboard, but not as much. My last taste from a month ago or so was improved, but not at the level from some of the praise I've read. It must be highly variable. Could also be my palate. Well, only one thing to do - go back in for another. Should have thought of that before posting here of course. Sorry about that. Off my game tonight.

I tried an allegedly fantastic recent batch, and I thought it was decent enough. Reminded me of Rare Breed a little, but with some signature Heaven Hill nuttiness and mint. I enjoyed it, but don't understand the hype when compared to Booker's (which is much richer and more flavorful) and Rare Breed (which is almost $20 cheaper).

The one I opened last night gave a 'big' cinnamon nose. Then lots of spice with a good long finish. Underlying this is lots of dry oak (or maybe that was green nut):skep:.

It was a little rough, but any big and bold bourbon should be IMO. It definitely smoothed out as I got further into the pour (and numbed up:grin:).

I'll give it a little time, but there is a whole lot of great bourbon out there for less cheese!

I've had two bottles of this. The first was so fantastic I bought a second. The second was so harsh I never bought another. First bottle had a great sweetness that went along with that high rye kick I love so much in Four Roses Single Barrel. The second bottle just tasted like young corn whiskey. Never had a greater discrepancy in two bottles of the same product.

Never bought a bottle, but had this a few times when friends shared some. Was never very impressed. Probably hadn't sampled any for a year and a half when I decided to buy a bottle, prompted by reports that recent batches were pretty good (probably on one or more sb forums). From reports here and elsewhere, there's a wide variability with Noah's Mill, but I really like this bottle. Sort of a classic bourbon taste ramped up a few notches, with a burnt corner of the brownie pan taste to it. I think this one is well worth the $42 or whatever I paid for it.

We visited Willett immediately after a tasting at HH and everything we tried (except the rye) including NM tasted like HH. It was GOOD HH, but still HH. I'm not really interested in paying a premium for something I can get reasonably priced elsewhere.

. . . . I'm not really interested in paying a premium for something I can get reasonably priced elsewhere./QUOTE]

Me neither and being hard headed it took me a lot of years and an awful lot money to learn that.

I've always loved Noah's. Mainly because it had this intense roasted peanut on the finish that I found really unique and rich. Picked up a bottle recently for the first time in about a year and it was drastically different from what I remembered. Hot and not very balanced, missing that awesome nuttiness that I loved. Hard to go back and try again at that price.

this is one of the few bottles i have never tried, but i must say i've never seen such a wide variety of opinions/tasting notes on a bourbon. It is for that very reason, plus the +$50 price tag, that i just don't think its worth it to try.

Stopped into a Spec's a few years ago, and got the hard-sell from one of their aisle monkeys on NM. I left the bourbon aisle without one, only to see the vast majority of their "Featured Item" aisle filled with NM.

After that, I avoided NM like the plaque, so I've never tasted it. I've read some positive thoughts on it here that have had me re-thinking that decision, but just can't quite make myself buy a bottle, especially when I could pick up a W12 and an OWA 107 instead, and keep $5.00 in my pocket...

. . . . After that, I avoided NM like the plaque, so I've never tasted it. . . . .

Of course you have, under other labels from Heaven Hill.

Bought a bottle 6 months ago and was not impressed. Tried it again a few weeks back and I have to say it is my least favorite of all my bourbons.

Not good at all.

I actually really like this bourbon. I've had three bottles. Two were outstanding and one was pretty good. Pretty much rye forward with some good oak at the end from what I remember

Had a wax-top bottle at a bar a year ago or so that really wowed me.. didn't get the batch number. I didn't have tasting notes from that night but I just remember the very intense oaky, spicy flavor with a nice touch of cherry. Love the heat with a rock... as the water melds the flavors evolve and the heat gives way to the underlying fruit flavors. It's one of the more interesting sippers for me, in that regard.

I went out and found 2 "wax top" bottles at my local, and grabbed them. Batch 14-49. Fantastic bourbon, IMO. I just finished one this week (sending out a sample to a buddy) and popped the second. I'm assuming/hoping my second 14-49 tastes as good as the first.

Found another wax-top for sale on a FB group and snagged it (batch 14-28). It just arrived today, but I'll likely pop it and test it side by side with my 14-49 and post up my thoughts here.

Several year ago I had a bottle that was good, but it didn't line up with my preferences quite right. I was given a bottle recently that was spectacularly meh. It wasn't bad, but there was nothing good or even interesting about it. The last Rowen Creek I tried had a little bit of an off note, but that was better than being completely boring.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Never been a fan of licorice, which is all I could taste in this one. I'll revist this bottle and see what happens with some air time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't buy this just out of principle from Spec's forcing it down customers' throats every time they walk in the door (years ago even, I still won't touch it).

"Looking for Buffalo Trace?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for OGD BiB?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for WT 101 rye?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for 2014 Weather Pinot Noir?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

Edit to add, I did succumb to this the first time years ago.  I wasn't overly impressed.  Haven't bought a bottle since.

Edited by dcbt

I don't buy this just out of principle from Spec's forcing it down customers' throats every time they walk in the door (years ago even, I still won't touch it).

"Looking for Buffalo Trace?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for OGD BiB?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for WT 101 rye?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

"Looking for 2014 Weather Pinot Noir?  We don't have that, here buy Noah's Mill instead.  It's the same thing."

Edit to add, I did succumb to this the first time years ago.  I wasn't overly impressed.  Haven't bought a bottle since.

And because of this strategy above I have a Noah's Mill from Specs in my bunker yet to be opened, but patiently waiting it's turn....next to the rowans creek ( also from specs but different trip) haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.