Scotch Neat

Parker's Heritage Collection 9th Edition Malt Whiskey

beasled   
beasled

Unfortunately for me it does come down to the price. Last year's was $110 over here. This years it is $225, at all retailers. This is more than what I paid for this year's BTAC. 

I'd still like to try it of course. There's a couple of bars that will have it. I'll head there.. 

jaxn slim   
jaxn slim

I saw it for $150 here locally in Texas and then $250 in NYC.  It's hard to justify that kind of expense.

tanstaafl2   
tanstaafl2
14 hours ago, jaxn slim said:

I saw it for $150 here locally in Texas and then $250 in NYC.  It's hard to justify that kind of expense.

Yes, I agree that is more than I would be willing to pay, especially here in the US market.

flahute   
flahute

Picked up one of these tonight. I'm not a malt fan so I had decided not to make any effort to seek this out. Tonight was the first I've seen it and since I had a hard time with the limiteds this year, I decided to give it a whirl.

I've only had one small taste out of a freshly opened bottle, but so far I agree with everyone who says it's very unique. Not quite a scotch, not quite a bourbon. I pick up standard malt flavors at the front of the palate - a flavor I usually don't like - and it's on the edge of tolerable for me. (As I got deeper into the pour, the standard malt flavors transitioned to something different that I can't describe yet.) At the back of the palate and on the finish I get some oak notes along with a strong sweet anise flavor. Very pleasant. 

LeNell   
LeNell

I had quite a few bottles sitting on my desk but reached for this one while working and poured a glass without overly thinking it. I thought this was one of the better malt whiskeys made in the States that I've had the chance to taste. It was so good I found myself reaching for that bottle again a little bit later. Refill made me stop working and just sit and enjoy the pour. Passed the bottle on to another lucky soul to enjoy.

Dango   
Dango

I just purchased a bottle of this, I saw Parkers Heritage and said wow I should buy that. Not realizing what it was. I'm thinking I should try to do a trade for it. I would love to hear any updated thoughts on this one. 

Parkers.jpg.ce709ad44707a647006e6e9104052c89.jpg

Richnimrod   
Richnimrod

I still like this one, though I have come to understand I may be the ONLY one who does. 

Is it odd?   It sure is.  

Does it taste like some cross between Bourbon and Scotch?   No. 

Does it remind one of some other worthwhile pour?   Nobody I've yet met, nor me. 

So, I'm not sure if anybody would be willing to trade you anything dynamic for it.  

If you haven't tried it yourself, pop the cork.     Maybe you'll be the other person who finds it interesting.    You never know 'til you try it.

flahute   
flahute
4 hours ago, Dango said:

I just purchased a bottle of this, I saw Parkers Heritage and said wow I should buy that. Not realizing what it was. I'm thinking I should try to do a trade for it. I would love to hear any updated thoughts on this one. 

Parkers.jpg.ce709ad44707a647006e6e9104052c89.jpg

I agree with Rich. Give it a go.

I have a bottle. I like it just fine. It is odd, yes, but it still good.

For context, I tasted this with three other whiskies double blind (meaning I had no clue what I was tasting - didn't know the lineup) and I graded it fairly well even though I could tell that something was different about it. It beat the pants off of Larceny which I graded the lowest by far.  ECBP was the winner of the group not surprisingly. Can't remember the 4th whiskey.

Kane   
Kane
6 hours ago, Dango said:

I like it a lot, actually. You should definitely keep it and give it a go, especially if you enjoy drinking non-bourbon spirits. It does taste different.

Did they maybe have another one of those where you bought it? If in Boston, I may grab one too!

Dango   
Dango
9 hours ago, flahute said:

I agree with Rich. Give it a go.

I have a bottle. I like it just fine. It is odd, yes, but it still good.

For context, I tasted this with three other whiskies double blind (meaning I had no clue what I was tasting - didn't know the lineup) and I graded it fairly well even though I could tell that something was different about it. It beat the pants off of Larceny which I graded the lowest by far.  ECBP was the winner of the group not surprisingly. Can't remember the 4th whiskey.

Thanks, these are encouraging words. 

Dango   
Dango
6 hours ago, Kane said:

I like it a lot, actually. You should definitely keep it and give it a go, especially if you enjoy drinking non-bourbon spirits. It does taste different.

Did they maybe have another one of those where you bought it? If in Boston, I may grab one too!

Yeah it was north of Boston, in MA, this was the only bottle. Very surprised to see "Parkers Heritage" label which is why I pounced on it, not realizing what it was.