Parker's Heritage Collection 9th Edition Malt Whiskey

Scotch Neat
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Unfortunately for me it does come down to the price. Last year's was $110 over here. This years it is $225, at all retailers. This is more than what I paid for this year's BTAC. 

I'd still like to try it of course. There's a couple of bars that will have it. I'll head there.. 

I saw it for $150 here locally in Texas and then $250 in NYC.  It's hard to justify that kind of expense.

14 hours ago, jaxn slim said:

I saw it for $150 here locally in Texas and then $250 in NYC.  It's hard to justify that kind of expense.

Yes, I agree that is more than I would be willing to pay, especially here in the US market.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up one of these tonight. I'm not a malt fan so I had decided not to make any effort to seek this out. Tonight was the first I've seen it and since I had a hard time with the limiteds this year, I decided to give it a whirl.

I've only had one small taste out of a freshly opened bottle, but so far I agree with everyone who says it's very unique. Not quite a scotch, not quite a bourbon. I pick up standard malt flavors at the front of the palate - a flavor I usually don't like - and it's on the edge of tolerable for me. (As I got deeper into the pour, the standard malt flavors transitioned to something different that I can't describe yet.) At the back of the palate and on the finish I get some oak notes along with a strong sweet anise flavor. Very pleasant. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had quite a few bottles sitting on my desk but reached for this one while working and poured a glass without overly thinking it. I thought this was one of the better malt whiskeys made in the States that I've had the chance to taste. It was so good I found myself reaching for that bottle again a little bit later. Refill made me stop working and just sit and enjoy the pour. Passed the bottle on to another lucky soul to enjoy.

• 1 year later...

I just purchased a bottle of this, I saw Parkers Heritage and said wow I should buy that. Not realizing what it was. I'm thinking I should try to do a trade for it. I would love to hear any updated thoughts on this one. 

Parkers.jpg.ce709ad44707a647006e6e9104052c89.jpg

I still like this one, though I have come to understand I may be the ONLY one who does. 

Is it odd?   It sure is.  

Does it taste like some cross between Bourbon and Scotch?   No. 

Does it remind one of some other worthwhile pour?   Nobody I've yet met, nor me. 

So, I'm not sure if anybody would be willing to trade you anything dynamic for it.  

If you haven't tried it yourself, pop the cork.     Maybe you'll be the other person who finds it interesting.    You never know 'til you try it.

4 hours ago, Dango said:

I just purchased a bottle of this, I saw Parkers Heritage and said wow I should buy that. Not realizing what it was. I'm thinking I should try to do a trade for it. I would love to hear any updated thoughts on this one. 

Parkers.jpg.ce709ad44707a647006e6e9104052c89.jpg

I agree with Rich. Give it a go.

I have a bottle. I like it just fine. It is odd, yes, but it still good.

For context, I tasted this with three other whiskies double blind (meaning I had no clue what I was tasting - didn't know the lineup) and I graded it fairly well even though I could tell that something was different about it. It beat the pants off of Larceny which I graded the lowest by far.  ECBP was the winner of the group not surprisingly. Can't remember the 4th whiskey.

6 hours ago, Dango said:

I like it a lot, actually. You should definitely keep it and give it a go, especially if you enjoy drinking non-bourbon spirits. It does taste different.

Did they maybe have another one of those where you bought it? If in Boston, I may grab one too!

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I agree with Rich. Give it a go.

I have a bottle. I like it just fine. It is odd, yes, but it still good.

For context, I tasted this with three other whiskies double blind (meaning I had no clue what I was tasting - didn't know the lineup) and I graded it fairly well even though I could tell that something was different about it. It beat the pants off of Larceny which I graded the lowest by far.  ECBP was the winner of the group not surprisingly. Can't remember the 4th whiskey.

Thanks, these are encouraging words. 

6 hours ago, Kane said:

I like it a lot, actually. You should definitely keep it and give it a go, especially if you enjoy drinking non-bourbon spirits. It does taste different.

Did they maybe have another one of those where you bought it? If in Boston, I may grab one too!

Yeah it was north of Boston, in MA, this was the only bottle. Very surprised to see "Parkers Heritage" label which is why I pounced on it, not realizing what it was.

• 3 months later...

Glad to hear you ended up enjoying your purchase. I'll be damned if I can find a bottle, but at least I still regularly drink it for cheap since quite a few bars around me are trying to get rid of it for years. I am doing my part to help them out, but there is only so much one man can do.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Glad to hear you ended up enjoying your purchase. I'll be damned if I can find a bottle, but at least I still regularly drink it for cheap since quite a few bars around me are trying to get rid of it for years. I am doing my part to help them out, but there is only so much one man can do.

I would be happy to help those bars. I don't understand why this Parkers edition doesn't get any love. It really is good.

8 minutes ago, Dango said:

I would be happy to help those bars. I don't understand why this Parkers edition doesn't get any love. It really is good.

It's cool you found this recently in Massachusetts, it could have been held back by the distributor. I think in this state they tend to hold on to things sometimes and release at random times, or else they just have a terrible method of keeping inventory I don't know. If I saw this at retail I would likely pick it up, I'm interested in the uniqueness of it. Is it aged in new charred oak? If so then it's not that much different to bourbon in terms of quality of the process. Initially a lot of people were probably put off buying it as it was not a bourbon or rye and it wasn't as sought after, but I'd like to try an SBS with perhaps an unpeated Scotch or Irish or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Theiano said:

It's cool you found this recently in Massachusetts, it could have been held back by the distributor. I think in this state they tend to hold on to things sometimes and release at random times, or else they just have a terrible method of keeping inventory I don't know. If I saw this at retail I would likely pick it up, I'm interested in the uniqueness of it. Is it aged in new charred oak? If so then it's not that much different to bourbon in terms of quality of the process. Initially a lot of people were probably put off buying it as it was not a bourbon or rye and it wasn't as sought after, but I'd like to try an SBS with perhaps an unpeated Scotch or Irish or something like that.

I found this about 5-6 months ago, just sitting there in a kind of out of the way liquor store. Not sure about the barrels, but I attached the label. I don't taste any smoky flavor. Where you from in boston? I'd be more than happy to share a sample with you.

PH8.1.jpg.9ce4a1b395321d12cd58296fd720f055.jpg

6 hours ago, Dango said:

I found this about 5-6 months ago, just sitting there in a kind of out of the way liquor store. Not sure about the barrels, but I attached the label. I don't taste any smoky flavor. Where you from in boston? I'd be more than happy to share a sample with you.

PH8.1.jpg.9ce4a1b395321d12cd58296fd720f055.jpg

That'd be cool thanks, I'll send you a PM.

• 1 month later...

Found a bottle in a little liquor store in Brooklyn.  $175 including NYC sales tax.  Might have pulled the trigger today if I didn't schlep the Yamazaki 18 that I bought in College Station last Saturday back from Texas Monday nite!   :blink:

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Found a bottle in a little liquor store in Brooklyn.  $175 including NYC sales tax.  Might have pulled the trigger today if I didn't schlep the Yamazaki 18 that I bought in College Station last Saturday back from Texas Monday nite!   :blink:

Was it on 9th?

9 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Was it on 9th?

Nope, on 7th on the Flatbush Avenue end. 

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Nope, on 7th on the Flatbush Avenue end. 

Gotcha, theres one on 9th I've been passing up for a while now as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.