What are you having for Cocktail Hour? Fall/Winter 2015

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whipped up a Red Hook with the new Pikesville Rye. The Pikesville's oak and proof shone as well as I had hoped in this cocktail.

Had a Sazerac tonight made with WTR101 and Great Lakes Distillery's Amerique 1912 Absinthe - very good and glad to finally have the ingredients on hand. Yesterday mixed up my first Scofflaw with the Turkey, Noilly Prat Extra Dry, and homemade rosewater and hibiscus grenadine - so good even my wife wanted one!

• 3 weeks later...

Made a Blood & Sand the other night, subbing some syrup from Luxardo cherries & brandy for the Cherry Heering, which I did not have. Used Benromach Traditional which was on sale & great quality for the price. The drink was OK but a little too ... "juicy"? I have a modified batch chilling in the freezer to be turned into a frozen drink ala http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/frozen-blood-and-sand-cocktail-summer-drink-scotch-whisky.html. Excited to try it out.

I made my first Old Fashion tonight. I had to cheat on a couple of items that I was missing like sugar cubes and lemon peels but it came out okay. I used Wild Turkey Rye 81 proof. I normally prefer my booze neat but a cocktail seemed good tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Made a beautiful Whiskey Sour the other night using EWSB, homemade lime cordial, and egg white. The cordial was perfect because it already contained the sugar and is made with orange peel so it's not overly "limey" at all. Oh yeah, and a little bitters dashed over the top. Might have to make some more sooner rather than later!

• 1 month later...

I put some absinthe in a small glass spray bottle for my sazeracs to spray the glass instead of rolling the absinthe around, best tasting saz I've had to date. I've also been on a raspberry margaritas on the rocks kick.

• 4 weeks later...

A Rob Roy with Tomatin 12 and Noilly Prat.  Just cuz...:lol:

It's been cocktail night here tonight. Started off with a round of Saint Germain Cocktails. Then we had to finish off the sparkling wine, so we moved on to Seelbachs. Now we're on to Rusty Nails. Happy New Year, everyone!

20 minutes ago, amg said:

It's been cocktail night here tonight. Started off with a round of Saint Germain Cocktails. Then we had to finish off the sparkling wine, so we moved on to Seelbachs. Now we're on to Rusty Nails. Happy New Year, everyone!

Ha!  Picked up my first bottle of Saint Germaine yesterday , because I couldn't resist the cool bottle. Had whatever they call the cocktail using it , rye, and Angostura earlier this evening.  Very nice!  

Edited by smokinjoe

Still Boozy Fruitcake season! 

2.25 oz Buffalo Trace

1 oz Nux Alpina

.25 oz Killepitsch

.25 oz Aquavit (North Shore Reserve)

.25 oz Grenadine

Dash Fee Whisky Barrel Bitters

Toschi Black Cherry

• 4 weeks later...

My new favorite is the Boulevardier; 1 part rye, 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part Campari.  If Campari is too bitter for you, try it with Aperol instead.  I'm using KC Rye tonight, but I think I preferred Rittenhouse Rye. 

16 hours ago, theranman said:

My new favorite is the Boulevardier; 1 part rye, 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part Campari.  If Campari is too bitter for you, try it with Aperol instead.  I'm using KC Rye tonight, but I think I preferred Rittenhouse Rye. 

I tend to prefer Aperol myself most of the time but it does make a slightly different drink. I find it interesting to experiment with different vermouths to see what difference, if any, that it makes!

My lemons are ripe, so it has been whiskey sours this week.  It's a good way to use up the bottles that I am not overly fond of in a drink that I like.  ;)

I enjoyed a beautifully prepared  Old Fashioned during dinner at Local 3, tonight.  L3 (along with sister restaurants Common Quarter and Muss & Turners) have come to be my favorite places to dine while enjoying good whiskey and cocktails in Atlanta. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know the cold and crap weather is comin', so taking this opportunity to enjoy the nice, sunny and warm late afternoon on the front porch with a Boulevardier.   

12 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I know the cold and crap weather is comin', so taking this opportunity to enjoy the nice, sunny and warm late afternoon on the front porch with a Boulevardier.   

We are expecting snow/freezing rain in an hour or so, thus making us change plans for tonight.  Hence, we, too, will be thinking warm thoughts by dipping into the remains of a HUGE batch of Pat O'Brien's Hurricane stuff we made up for a Mardi Gras party we held.  I used Gosling's Black instead of Meyer's Dark because I had the Gosling's on hand and didn't feel like making a special trip.  Why a HUGE batch left over?  The alternative was Sazeracs I made with Baby Saz and Herbsaint and Peychauds and Angostura.  We have NO Saz stuff left.

7 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

We are expecting snow/freezing rain in an hour or so, thus making us change plans for tonight.  Hence, we, too, will be thinking warm thoughts by dipping into the remains of a HUGE batch of Pat O'Brien's Hurricane stuff we made up for a Mardi Gras party we held.  I used Gosling's Black instead of Meyer's Dark because I had the Gosling's on hand and didn't feel like making a special trip.  Why a HUGE batch left over?  The alternative was Sazeracs I made with Baby Saz and Herbsaint and Peychauds and Angostura.  We have NO Saz stuff left.

Ya know Harry, I have never really thunk about ever moving to DC.  But, if I ever do, I'm going to try and get in your hood.   :)

8 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Ya know Harry, I have never really thunk about ever moving to DC.  But, if I ever do, I'm going to try and get in your hood.   :)

Be sure to bring the dog.  :wub:

Edited by Harry in WashDC
BRING not BEING. Fat fingers will be my death.

It's in the upper 86°+ over this way.  I just picked a couple more lemmon for another whiskey sour.  I think this weekend might call for margaritas by the pool.  :D

Summer is coming to us way too early...

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Be sure to bring the dog.  :wub:

Deal!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing the weekend with the first Sazarac I've mixed up in quite a while.  I had downloaded a standard recipe on my phone, and I was referring to it while preparing.  I felt like I was running a 3-shell game.  Ice in this glass, other in that glass, dump ice from that glass , add ice to this glass pour into other glass, add Herbsaint to a glass, dump from same glass...I must admit, I had to stop and pull myself together mid way, and figure out where I was. :lol:  But, it turned out delicious in the end, and is needed to relax myself from the stress of making it ...

An Old Crotchety Fashioned while contemplating whether or not to head out back for a cigar.

Marmalade whiskey sour (thanks to Jason "Boozehound" Wilson, ex-WashPost spirits writer) -

2 oz bonded bourbon

1 teaspoon of orange marmalade

juice of 1/2 a lemon

one egg white

---

Put the 1st three ingredients in a shaker and stir a lot while they are warm.

Add ice and the egg white.

Shake a lot.

Strain into a martini glass.

Drink.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.