What are you having for Cocktail Hour? Fall/Winter 2015

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Marmalade whiskey sour (thanks to Jason "Boozehound" Wilson, ex-WashPost spirits writer) -

2 oz bonded bourbon

1 teaspoon of orange marmalade

juice of 1/2 a lemon

one egg white

---

Put the 1st three ingredients in a shaker and stir a lot while they are warm.

Add ice and the egg white.

Shake a lot.

Strain into a martini glass.

Drink.

Damn that sounds good, never thought to add a marmalade.  I just happen to have a JB BIB open at the moment, I'm going to make a couple of these tomorrow.

I've made it with JB BIB, VOB BIB, and OGD BIB as well as Ritt and Baby Saz.  It works best with JB or VOB IMO.  I think Jason used Old Fitz BIB, but I haven't seen that in 3 years.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Marmalade whiskey sour (thanks to Jason "Boozehound" Wilson, ex-WashPost spirits writer) -

2 oz bonded bourbon

juice of 1/2 a lemon

one egg white

---

Shake a lot.

Drink.

Seems like odd instructions. Normally you shake an egg white "dry" (without the ice) to get the egg white well whipped without over diluting the drink and still get the desired foamy consistency. Unless he is perhaps going for some different kind of texture to the drink?

57 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Seems like odd instructions. Normally you shake an egg white "dry" (without the ice) to get the egg white well whipped without over diluting the drink and still get the desired foamy consistency. Unless he is perhaps going for some different kind of texture to the drink?

FWIW, I usually do the egg white separately just for that reason.  Ramos gin fizz, for example, I make the drink w/o adding the egg white, leave an inch or two at the top, put the frothy egg on it and stick it in the freezer for about 30 seconds.  I get a nice cold drink with a "head" I can fold in as desired.  For the marmalade drink, though, I'm guessing it was added for body and creaminess rather than froth.  It sure has no froth.

Now, you have me curious.  I'll try a dry shake (while I'm thinking about it and can remember the ones I made earlier this week and last week; we were using up egg whites left over from baking) and see what the differences are.

In other words, thanks for the comment. (We still have a few egg whites to use up.) 

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016‎ ‎12‎:‎39‎:‎40‎, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, I usually do the egg white separately just for that reason.  Ramos gin fizz, for example, I make the drink w/o adding the egg white, leave an inch or two at the top, put the frothy egg on it and stick it in the freezer for about 30 seconds.  I get a nice cold drink with a "head" I can fold in as desired.  For the marmalade drink, though, I'm guessing it was added for body and creaminess rather than froth.  It sure has no froth.

Now, you have me curious.  I'll try a dry shake (while I'm thinking about it and can remember the ones I made earlier this week and last week; we were using up egg whites left over from baking) and see what the differences are.

In other words, thanks for the comment. (We still have a few egg whites to use up.) 

I will be curious to hear how it goes!

I made a quick Old Fashioned with WT101, Stirrings Blood Orange bitters (which is in a simple syrup base), and ice. It was pretty awful. The sourness of the bitters seemed to bring out a bad flavor note in the bourbon, and each sip was kind of like work to swallow. Luckily, when I had finished about half of it, the dog knocked it over.

Tim

1 hour ago, ratcheer said:

I made a quick Old Fashioned with WT101, Stirrings Blood Orange bitters (which is in a simple syrup base), and ice. It was pretty awful. The sourness of the bitters seemed to bring out a bad flavor note in the bourbon, and each sip was kind of like work to swallow. Luckily, when I had finished about half of it, the dog knocked it over.

Tim

A cat would never do that. And that is why a dog is man's best friend! :D

Made a Port Light last night

-1.5 oz bourbon (used Old Overholt cause it was the only thing I had open at the time)

-1 oz lemon juice

-0.5 oz passionfruit syrup (used homemade)

-0.5 oz grenadine (used homemade hibiscus grenadine)

Been making a ton of tiki cocktails to use up a bunch of ingredients I made, nice to mix a little whiskey in there every once in a while. Kinda wanted to up the spirit ratio a bit but didn't know how well the OO was gonna play.

2 hours ago, moebimoebi said:

Made a Port Light last night

For something in a similar vein you might want to try the Halekulani Cocktail (Hah Lay Koo Lonnie which means the "House befitting Heaven", which is now a swanky Waikiki Hotel). It is similar to the Port Light in components. It was supposedly originally made with Hawaiian "moonshine" called Okolehao but the type they used is no longer made (There is a company now making Okolehao again but how it compares to the original stuff, which itself was kind of a mystery since it was a local illegally made "moonshine after all, is unclear) so bourbon is typically used instead.

Halekulani Cocktail

1 1/2 oz. Bourbon (a good place for a bourbon that is OK but maybe not your favorite sipper!)

1/2 oz. Unsweetened Pineapple Juice

1/2 oz. Fresh-squeezed Lemon Juice

1/2 oz. Orange Juice (I might go a little easy on the OJ especially if it wasn't fresh squeezed)

1/2 Tsp. Grenadine (Hibiscus grenadine could also work)

1/2 tsp Passionfruit liqueur (or perhaps the syrup would work fine. In either case it can be optional)

1 Dash Angostura Bitters

Shake well with ice cubes. Strain into a goblet.

I would probably drink it up but the more traditional tiki way would probably be over crushed ice.

On February 26, 2016 at 11:26:01 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

2 oz bonded bourbon

juice of 1/2 a lemon

one egg white

---

Shake a lot.

Drink.

Just tried to whip one of these up, but somebody tossed our orange marmalade, dammit!  So, subbed apricot preserves, and it worked well, but didn't bust through the lemon quite strongly enough.  I really like the concept, though.   Off to the grocery tomorrow for the OM!  Thanks, Harry.  

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Just tried to whip one of these up, but somebody tossed our orange marmalade, dammit!  So, subbed apricot preserves, and it worked well, but didn't bust through the lemon quite strongly enough.  I really like the concept, though.   Off to the grocery tomorrow for the OM!  Thanks, Harry.  

FWIW, you can cut back on the lemon, too;, my wife looks for small lemons for cooking purposes so that's what I have on hand.  Also, per Bruce's suggestion, I've now done this with dry whipping of the egg white then folding it in compared to just mixing it all together.  It's a little fancier with the froth, but the creamy body comes through a little more when the egg white isn't beaten separately.  If I were a pro, I think I'd do the dry whip and reserve a bit for a topping before shaking the rest in the drink then using the reserved dollop on top just to dress it up a bit.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, you can cut back on the lemon, too;, my wife looks for small lemons for cooking purposes so that's what I have on hand.  Also, per Bruce's suggestion, I've now done this with dry whipping of the egg white then folding it in compared to just mixing it all together.  It's a little fancier with the froth, but the creamy body comes through a little more when the egg white isn't beaten separately.  If I were a pro, I think I'd do the dry whip and reserve a bit for a topping before shaking the rest in the drink then using the reserved dollop on top just to dress it up a bit.

That's probably the trick!  I did squeeze the Bejesus out of a good size lemon.  (Robert Plant...;)) I'll go less next time.  

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Did you try dry shaking with ALL ingredients including the egg white and then shaking it again with ice? Or did you dry shake with just the egg white and then add all the other ingredients to the whipped egg white and shake with ice?

I do the former, put all ingredients in there together and dry shake, then reshake with ice. Never done one with marmalade though so not sure what if any impact that would have.

On 3/3/2016, 3:52:59, tanstaafl2 said:

For something in a similar vein you might want to try the Halekulani Cocktail (Hah Lay Koo Lonnie which means the "House befitting Heaven", which is now a swanky Waikiki Hotel). It is similar to the Port Light in components. It was supposedly originally made with Hawaiian "moonshine" called Okolehao but the type they used is no longer made (There is a company now making Okolehao again but how it compares to the original stuff, which itself was kind of a mystery since it was a local illegally made "moonshine after all, is unclear) so bourbon is typically used instead.

Thanks! I'll definitely give that a shot, ran outta OJ but should have everything else on hand. It's funny making these multi-ingredient tiki drinks, always seem to run out of one element, then you replace it and run out of something else - a never-ending cycle! That's why I've enjoyed a few whiskey-based tiki drinks for the times I've run out of rum!

A Left Hand is starting off my weekend.

Last evening, I made a Manhattan Cocktail and I didn't do it in my usual, sloppy fashion. I measured 50 ml WT101 and 20 ml Carpano Antica Formula. I chilled my serving glass with ice cubes in the freezer. I filled a mixing cup with ice cubes and added a few shakes of Angostura bitters. Then, I added the whiskey/vermouth mixture and stirred. Discarded the ice from the serving glass and strained the stirred cocktail into it. No cherry, sorry.

It was very good. It didn't last long, though. I always drink "up" drinks quickly, before they become warm.

Tim

I tried a new one (to me) last night. It's actually one of the very old ones. The Bronx Cocktail. 2 oz gin, 1 oz sweet vermouth, 1 oz dry vermouth, 1 oz orange juice, and several drops of Regan's Orange Bitters.

Tim

Greenpoint, Saveur, Oct 2011

2 oz rye (I used 80 proof Pikesville tonight; the corn undertone fit the honey in the yellow Chartreuse just right)

1 oz Punt e Mes vermouth

1 teaspoon yellow chartreuse

1 dash Angostura

(NOTE: I prechilled my 2.5 oz aperitif glasses)

Put in a shaker with ice and stir to chill.  Strain into very narrow, small martini glasses (or upright aperitif glasses like mine filled to the brim).

As a pre-meal cocktail, I served them with some olive oil infused with garlic, basil, & oregano and french bread slices for dipping.

We had a Gewertztraminer with the main course - braised chicken with artichoke bits and brown rice; side was sauteed yellow squash.

Dessert: the dregs in an OGD BIB bottle plus some vanilla custard with hot fudge sauce.

No wonder I've stayed off that thread about losing weight.:wacko:

Keeping it extremely simple tonight.  Simple syrup, 4 shakes of Angostura, and 3 ounces  of 6 year old Fighting Cock. Stirred it over ice  and then strained over rocks.  It is a very flavorful drink.  This drink with bonded bourbons or the equiv will put a smile on your face and will allow your wallet a rest from the limited editions many of us hunt. 

Rittenhouse whiskey sour is the drink of the day. I got about a case of lemons to use up, any suggestions?  :P

• 2 weeks later...

Had a Left Hand after smokinjoe mentioned it, then mixed up a variant and settled in to watch Predator, yep this made me a sexual tyrannosaurus.

2oz WTRR single barrel small batch

1 oz cochi vermouth amaro

1/2 oz dolin rouge

dash luxardo liqueur

2 drops bitter truth chocolate bitters

stirred up and strained into a coupe.

Edited by onemorepour

On 3/16/2016, 9:37:40, Darwin said:

Rittenhouse whiskey sour is the drink of the day. I got about a case of lemons to use up, any suggestions?  :P

Get some Everclear and make yourself some limoncello.  It lasts forever and is wonderful as the substitute additive to myriad cocktails that call for "lemon juice and simple syrup".

BUT, like a whole ham being eaten by two people, when I say it lasts forever, I mean FOREVER.

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Get some Everclear and make yourself some limoncello.  It lasts forever and is wonderful as the substitute additive to myriad cocktails that call for "lemon juice and simple syrup".

BUT, like a whole ham being eaten by two people, when I say it lasts forever, I mean FOREVER.

Not if you start making a lot of one of my previously recommend and favorite summer cocktails, My Favorite Mechanic is a Woman!

Oh, yeah.  Thanks for the bump on the MFMiaW.  I made one back then and then made another one or more then went to sleep and promptly forgot.  THIS time, I wrote it down and will put it in our cocktail book.

Tonight we each had a Yellow Daisy.  Attributed to Richard William Clark, a cowboy known as Dead Eye Dick, our variation came from Jason Wilson's 2011 booze column in the Washington Post who wrote that he took it from "The Savoy Cocktail Book" (1930).  I have that book but never checked.  Variations call for an absinthe wash, orange bitters, particular gins, etc.  I just keep it simple.

One serving takes --

1.5 oz. gin (I used Leopold's Navy Strength as it finished off the bottle so now I can buy another Leopold's NSG)

0.75 dry vermouth (I used M&R in order to finish the bottle)

0.5 oz. Grand Marnier (which finished off the bottle)

Chill a martini glasss.  Put the ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice, and stir a lot.  Shaking tends to make it too watery, so stir.  Strain into the martini glass.

This recipe scales up nicely - just multiply the ingredients and glasses by the number of drinks you want to make.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.