Manhattans ???

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I can only assume that most Manhattans are made from the 3 basic ingredients, Booze, Bitters, Vermouth. I would not doubt that there are subtle differences that some have come up with.

My question is, what is your personal favorite way to mix a Manhattan?

Which booze and how much?

Which bitter and how much?

Which Vermouth and how much?

Straight up or on the rocks?

Do you have a favorite variation, that you still think of as a Manhattan?

I am seriously interested in your thoughts.

I have a variation that I just love and will share it with you.

I simply love a 2oz pour of Baby Saz Rye or Rittenhouse Rye, with 6 drops of Peychaud's Bitters and 3/4oz of Blandy's Malmsey Maderia aged 5 years on the rocks.

It's amazing!

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I've always been interested in bourbon/rye cocktails. Will give this one a shot.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I've always been interested in bourbon/rye cocktails. Will give this one a shot.

When you do, please let us know what you think.

When you do, please let us know what you think.

Will do. I always see these recipes online with instructions which include, chilled stem glass, cherries, orange peels, etc... too much involved, like to keep it simple, on the rocks no peels, etc... :grin:

My standard is

2 oz Ritt BIB

1.25 oz Dolin Rouge Vermouth

2 dashes Dead Rabbit Orinoco Bitters

Lemon Twist

Variation - The EO Inverted Manhattan

1.75 oz Dolin Rouge Vermouth

1.5 oz Ritt BiB

.5 oz Grand Marnier

2 dashes Angostura Bitters

Lemon Twist

Both stirred and served up.

This is my go-to:

• 2.5oz of 100+ proof rye or bourbon
  • 1oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
  • 3-4 dashes of Angostura bitters

Pour ingredients into a tumbler with ice. Follow by stirring for a minute or two, then strain into a chilled glass with two Luxardo cherries. Heaven in a glass.

Timely post. Tonight I made Manhattans with a nice rye forward bourbon. Four Roses, Antica vermouth and Angostura bitters

post-645-14489822904729_thumb.jpg

Timely post. Tonight I made Manhattans with a nice rye forward bourbon. Four Roses, Antica vermouth and Angostura bitters

[ATTACH]21724[/ATTACH]

Which Four Roses? 2015 SmB LE? :grin:

You are the second person I noted that uses Antica Vermouth. No one likes Martini Rossi?

I like a rye forward bourbon and if I use sweet, I mix it 2 oz. bourbon with 1/2 oz. or less, but I usually make my Manhattans using dry vermouth and a little more vermouth. I also like to shake my Manhattans, especially if I use sweet.

For brand of vermouth, I'll buy whatever I can get in a 375 ml bottle and keep it in the fridge. I have tried a few different kinds and don't have a favorite. Perhaps a side by side is in order.

Occasionally, for something different I'll add either orange or cherry bitters. They add just enough to notice if you pay attention.

I currently have Manhattan aging in a 2 liter barrel using 2 parts Rittenhouse Rye, 1/4 part Martini Dry and 1/4 part Martini Sweet. It has been in the barrel about 4 weeks now so I think I will bottle it this weekend. I will add the bitters when I pour the drink.

Edited by mhatzung

This is my go-to:

• 2.5oz of 100+ proof rye or bourbon
  • 1oz Carpano Antica sweet vermouth
  • 3-4 dashes of Angostura bitters

Pour ingredients into a tumbler with ice. Follow by stirring for a minute or two, then strain into a chilled glass with two Luxardo cherries. Heaven in a glass.

This is about the 3rd or 4th time I have seen someone using Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth. This receipt sounds interesting. I may have to pick up some of that Vermouth and give it a try.

I've tried a lot of different types of Vermouth, but always end up back, with my go to, Noilly Prat Rouge.

This is about the 3rd or 4th time I have seen someone using Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth. This receipt sounds interesting. I may have to pick up some of that Vermouth and give it a try.

I've tried a lot of different types of Vermouth, but always end up back, with my go to, Noilly Prat Rouge.

Johnny, same here which is why I asked. I searched around and looks like the Carpano Antica is pricier compared to the likes of Martini Rossi. I think I will spring for a 375ml bottle since I don't drink cocktails much.

I like Antica but it is VERY vanilla-heavy. It caught the initial wave of the cocktail boom and is still riding high. Rittenhouse Bonded and Antica were the go to ingredients for top tier mixed drinks. I actually prefer the harder-to-find Carpano Classico red vermouth to the Antica. Some of the spanish vermouths make good Manhattans.

-Mike

I like Antica but it is VERY vanilla-heavy. It caught the initial wave of the cocktail boom and is still riding high. Rittenhouse Bonded and Antica were the go to ingredients for top tier mixed drinks. I actually prefer the harder-to-find Carpano Classico red vermouth to the Antica. Some of the spanish vermouths make good Manhattans.

-Mike

Interesting side note Mike. I am not familiar with the Carpano Brand, so I was not aware of the Classico Red version. Now I may have to get a 375 of each to compare.

Has anyone actually mixed up a Manhattan style drink with something other than vermouth, as I did using Madeira?

There are a plethora of Manhattan variations, some of which use other liqueurs, liquors and Amaro's to make them. As an aside Manhattan is not the only one of the five different borough's to have a drink named for them (they all have one, even Staten Island, but they aren't all similar to a Manhattan and clearly aren't as popular). The Brooklyn is a Manhattan variation but the Bronx cocktail for example is an odd variation on a martini using orange juice and the Queens is similar but uses pineapple juice. :bigeyes:

These three are excellent possibilities if you have the necessary ingredients.

http://ohgo.sh/archive/brooklyn-cocktail-variations-red-hook-greenpoint-bensonhurst-recipe/

The Clint Eastwood was one I used for a recent whiskey dinner.

2 ounces rye whiskey

1/8 ounce Angostura bitters

1/8 ounce green Chartreuse

1/4 ounce rich (2:1) simple syrup

Stir ingredients with ice in a mixing glass and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Squeeze an orange twist over the drink and drop it in.

Port, like Madeira, can make a nice Manhattan variation without vermouth. Averna is used in a Black Manhattan and I also like Ramazzotti as an option to replace the vermouth.

The Black Manhattan

2 oz rye whiskey (or rye forward bourbon in a pinch)

1 oz Averna (or Ramazzotti) amaro

1–2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir all ingredients with ice until cold; strain into a well-chilled cocktail stem. Garnish with a brandied cherry.

Variations are practically endless!

Has anyone actually mixed up a Manhattan style drink with something other than vermouth, as I did using Madeira?

Another variation that I saw here (Thanks smokinjoe, http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?24369-What-are-you-having-for-Cocktail-Hour-Fall-Winter-2015) is a Red Hook. Want to give this one a try as well.

It seems the Red Hook is a variation of the Manhattan and Brooklyn that tanstaafl2 mentioned.

A quick google search yielded the following recipr:

2 oz. Rye Whikey

1/2 oz. Punt e Mes

1/2 oz. Maraschino liqueur.

There are a plethora of Manhattan variations, some of which use other liqueurs, liquors and Amaro's to make them. As an aside Manhattan is not the only one of the five different borough's to have a drink named for them (they all have one, even Staten Island, but they aren't all similar to a Manhattan and clearly aren't as popular). The Brooklyn is a Manhattan variation but the Bronx cocktail for example is an odd variation on a martini using orange juice and the Queens is similar but uses pineapple juice. :bigeyes:

These three are excellent possibilities if you have the necessary ingredients.

http://ohgo.sh/archive/brooklyn-cocktail-variations-red-hook-greenpoint-bensonhurst-recipe/

The Clint Eastwood was one I used for a recent whiskey dinner.

2 ounces rye whiskey

1/8 ounce Angostura bitters

1/8 ounce green Chartreuse

1/4 ounce rich (2:1) simple syrup

Stir ingredients with ice in a mixing glass and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Squeeze an orange twist over the drink and drop it in.

Port, like Madeira, can make a nice Manhattan variation without vermouth. Averna is used in a Black Manhattan and I also like Ramazzotti as an option to replace the vermouth.

The Black Manhattan

2 oz rye whiskey (or rye forward bourbon in a pinch)

1 oz Averna (or Ramazzotti) amaro

1–2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir all ingredients with ice until cold; strain into a well-chilled cocktail stem. Garnish with a brandied cherry.

Variations are practically endless!

Thanks for the info., much appreciated! I have no idea what Averna or Amaro are but I'm interested.

Thanks for the info., much appreciated! I have no idea what Averna or Amaro are but I'm interested.

Another variation that I saw here (Thanks smokinjoe, http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?24369-What-are-you-having-for-Cocktail-Hour-Fall-Winter-2015) is a Red Hook. Want to give this one a try as well.

It seems the Red Hook is a variation of the Manhattan and Brooklyn that tanstaafl2 mentioned.

A quick google search yielded the following recipr:

2 oz. Rye Whikey

1/2 oz. Punt e Mes

1/2 oz. Maraschino liqueur.

Edited by tanstaafl2

My question is, what is your personal favorite way to mix a Manhattan?

As I have said on many occasions, I am not very fussy with my cocktails. The Manhattan is my second favorite cocktail and, to me, it is more of a winter drink. So, it's about time to get started. :cool:

I like them with either bourbon or rye, or even a good blended whiskey. Right now, I would use Baby Saz rye. About two ounces.

I would add an ounce of Carpano Antica Formula. But, if it was all I had, I would even use Martini & Rossi and still enjoy it.

A few healthy dashes of Angostura bitters.

I would take it on the rocks and drink it fairly quickly, before much meltage.

Tim

Which Four Roses? 2015 SmB LE? :grin:

You are the second person I noted that uses Antica Vermouth. No one likes Martini Rossi?

A private selection OBSF. I made one previously with the new WTRR single barrel rye but like a bourbon Manhattan better

In the past few years there has been tremendous growth in the availability of different vermouth in the US. MR is still common particularly in bars because let's face it, it's cheap! It is not particularly bad (if it is fresh) and I am ok with it as a "well" brand and have it at home for making a lot of cocktails. But particularly in a basic Manhattan where the flavor of the vermouth tends to play as big a role as the whiskey it can be fun to play with different vermouths. It just isn't always possible to finish a full bottle and it isn't likely to last forever once open even if tightly sealed and refrigerated. It is a wine based product after all.

So when I can I like to try different vermouths in a Manhattan as much as I like to try different ingredients in variations on a Manhattan. Another interesting site for those with cocktailrexia nervosa as well as whiskerexia nervosa... :cool:

http://vermouth101.com/

Probably not exhaustive but still useful!

In the past few years there has been tremendous growth in the availability of different vermouth in the US. MR is still common particularly in bars because let's face it, it's cheap! It is not particularly bad (if it is fresh) and I am ok with it as a "well" brand and have it at home for making a lot of cocktails. But particularly in a basic Manhattan where the flavor of the vermouth tends to play as big a role as the whiskey it can be fun to play with different vermouths. It just isn't always possible to finish a full bottle and it isn't likely to last forever once open even if tightly sealed and refrigerated. It is a wine based product after all.

So when I can I like to try different vermouths in a Manhattan as much as I like to try different ingredients in variations on a Manhattan. Another interesting site for those with cocktailrexia nervosa as well as whiskerexia nervosa... :cool:

http://vermouth101.com/

Probably not exhaustive but still useful!

tanstaafl2, thanks for this helpful information. I stopped by my local liquor store last night and picked up Carpano Antica, Punt E Mes and Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur.

My preference is 375ml for reasons that you mentioned above as I don't drink cocktails much and would have to end up wasting an almost full bottle of vermouth.

Tonights lineup will include the standard manhattan and red hook.

tanstaafl2, thanks for this helpful information. I stopped by my local liquor store last night and picked up Carpano Antica, Punt E Mes and Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur.

My preference is 375ml for reasons that you mentioned above as I don't drink cocktails much and would have to end up wasting an almost full bottle of vermouth.

Tonights lineup will include the standard manhattan and red hook.

Not usually a problem for me. I can drink Carpano by the glass as if it were a glass of wine!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.