Tom's Foolery Rye

shoshani
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Made a trip to Binny's in Skokie and finally picked up a bottle of what I've been affectionately calling "Foolerye". The barrelhead for this single-barrel bottling on the Tom's Foolery website says the mashbill is 60% unmalted rye and 40% malted rye. It was aged around 2 years and 9 months.

I like it. It's young, but it's nice. As with Dad's Hat (which is also young, and also bottled at 90 proof), there is every reason to believe that once they have enough on hand to do a BIB expression, it will be spectacular. It's a little higher in price than Tom's bourbon ($50, as opposed to $40), but rye itself is more expensive, and that's the only grain in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently gifted a bottle of the 1st batch rye. I like it quite a bit, but the youth shows through. I really like what Tom is doing, and like Michael, I look forward to a mature product in the future

• 2 years later...

Lots of excellent ryes from craft distillers, and this is one of them.   Only about two fingers left in my bottle,  and it's quintessential rye -  rye bread with an oily mouthfeel.   This is properly aged - it's a straight - in real (53 gallon) whiskey barrels,   and I can't recommend it highly enough.  Of course,  I may never be able to find another bottle again,  so this one's been brought down to the beach where it can be dug in the proper setting,  on the porch with the sun high and beaming.    

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.