Is there any SAOS Rye in the wild nymore?

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The subject pretty much says it all. I wondering if there's any SAOS rye to be found in the wild any more. I'm aware of the discontinuance by SA. Just wondering if I have any chance of finding even a 99 proof bottle out there anymore.

I'll be on the NW side of Chicago for the holiday, so if I can find something close by, that would be even better, since SA never distributed out here.

Widely available when I was in southern Indiana this week and I can find it at most locations I frequent in Colorado. The barrel proof is a little harder to find - maybe 2 or 3 places I hit still have some in stock.

Widely available when I was in southern Indiana this week and I can find it at most locations I frequent in Colorado. The barrel proof is a little harder to find - maybe 2 or 3 places I hit still have some in stock.

I noted that Astor Wines has a store pick BP 9yo SAOS rye on their website for those in the NY area or are able to get shipments from them now. They stopped shipping for awhile but say they have now resumed to at least some states.

Haven't tried it so can't speak to how good it might be.

I noted that Astor Wines has a store pick BP 9yo SAOS rye on their website for those in the NY area or are able to get shipments from them now. They stopped shipping for awhile but say they have now resumed to at least some states.

Haven't tried it so can't speak to how good it might be.

I have Astor's prior 8 year BP, and it is outstanding. I can only imagine that this new 9 year barrel is as good or better. I don't know that I've heard of a bad SAOS BP rye.

I have Astor's prior 8 year BP, and it is outstanding. I can only imagine that this new 9 year barrel is as good or better. I don't know that I've heard of a bad SAOS BP rye.

• 3 weeks later...

I hit a couple of stores over the weekend. A great deal of the regular stuff, no BP stuff to be found anywhere near me. 

Was too busy while visiting the folks over thanksgiving, so I ended up taking advantage of Astor's 15% off sale plus free shipping for first time customers, so it was a pretty good deal.

On 11/20/2015, 4:53:18, RiverRat said:

I'd really like to find some but there is none in MS, not even regular SAOS rye. I'll be in Co later this week for skiing (Snowmass) do you think there are any places near that location that I could find a bottle of the BP? I'd really really like to get my hands on a bottle. 

On 12/15/2015, 9:34:10, taddraughn said:

I'd really like to find some but there is none in MS, not even regular SAOS rye. I'll be in Co later this week for skiing (Snowmass) do you think there are any places near that location that I could find a bottle of the BP? I'd really really like to get my hands on a bottle. 

Immediately near Snowmass, I have no idea and I'm betting no.  

If you're flying into/driving through Denver headed to Snowmass, Applejack Liquors is conveniently near I-70 on the west side of Denver (W 32nd exit, I think) and carries the line.  Don't know if they have the BP.  If you're not as worried about a straight drive through Denver getting to the mountains, Davidson's in Highland Park (south side of Denver near I25 & E470) might be worth a stop.  Note: E470 off I70 (both directions) is a toll road.

3 hours ago, RiverRat said:

Immediately near Snowmass, I have no idea and I'm betting no.  

If you're flying into/driving through Denver headed to Snowmass, Applejack Liquors is conveniently near I-70 on the west side of Denver (W 32nd exit, I think) and carries the line.  Don't know if they have the BP.  If you're not as worried about a straight drive through Denver getting to the mountains, Davidson's in Highland Park (south side of Denver near I25 & E470) might be worth a stop.  Note: E470 off I70 (both directions) is a toll road.

I believe that we are flying into Aspen. I'll just pop in a few random stores and cross my fingers

• 5 weeks later...

We've got a bunch here in MD, though I didn't look to see whether it was BP. I'll check next time I see it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Borg assimilation liquor chain, er Big Red Liquors had a few in the downtown Bloomington Indiana store. They probably have a few scattered across the chain. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still see the standard 99 proof bottles for $40 at two local stores.  I haven't seen the SB variety on shelves in a while (partially because I bought several of them).

Jason

• 10 months later...

so, both the age stated barrel proof rye AND the age stated 99 proof rye are both discontinued by SAOS? I knew the barrel proofer was gone.......

2 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

so, both the age stated barrel proof rye AND the age stated 99 proof rye are both discontinued by SAOS? I knew the barrel proofer was gone.......

Yep. Come to Europe. Still a few 99s around.

damn. I'm gonna have to stay off these boards. Every time they d/c something I like, I go load up on what's left. My bunker cabinet is about full!

20 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

damn. I'm gonna have to stay off these boards. Every time they d/c something I like, I go load up on what's left. My bunker cabinet is about full!

That is not a bug in the system, it's a feature.

I know I have seen the 99 proof on shelves as recently as over the holidays.  I plan to hit a few stores this coming week so I will be on the look out to see if the 99 proof is still on the shelf.  I have opted away from it because the price jumped into the low $40s and I can get Pikesville at the same price.  I have a couple of BPs in reserve.  My last BP I got for $42.99.  I kept telling the clerk at the store that was the price for the 99 proof and they must have misstocked the BP.  He said that was ok and he would give me that price.  The chain had been selling the BPs for $64.99.  I said "thank you," gave him my cash, took my bottle and left.  They had a couple more on the shelf.  I was trying not to be greedy plus I still felt odd knowing that he was honoring a price that wasn't right otherwise I would have walked out with a few more.

when I bought my reserves of 7-8 year BP rye, they were $45 each. Last I saw them, they were $70, then gone. I'll see next week if there are any 99 proofers left in my area. aged MGP rye is leading my list of favorites lately.

On 1/7/2017 at 8:34 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I know I have seen the 99 proof on shelves as recently as over the holidays.  I plan to hit a few stores this coming week so I will be on the look out to see if the 99 proof is still on the shelf.

On 1/7/2017 at 9:02 PM, Whiskey Dick said:

I'll see next week if there are any 99 proofers left in my area. aged MGP rye is leading my list of favorites lately.

If you guys find any, can you PM me and let me know....especially the BP.  I'd be willing to drive over and get it.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.