Is there any SAOS Rye in the wild nymore?

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Zero SAOS Rye on the shelves here in FL, for awhile.  Found some online, finally, but no cask strength. Sounds like I need to get up to Indiana, haha

I'm in the process to try and get some SA bottles on-line, and I've not seen any SA Rye available.

3 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

I'm in the process to try and get some SA bottles on-line, and I've not seen any SA Rye available.

Anyplace with online inventories seems ot long be cleaned out, I still have a couple of local places I have found bottles on as recently as two weeks ago, Northern NJ is not exactly a haven for bourbon so good stuff seems to sit longer than in other places.

I still saw a few now and a gain here in Atlanta and my store had a barrel pick until recently. But once the word about SA being in tight supply leaked out to the general public (basically a couple of weeks after those of us in the "enthusiast" community) everything that had SA bourbon or rye on the label disappeared practically overnight, including the last of the very nice barrel pick. The American Whiskey is all I see on the shelf now at the regular places I wander through now and again.

I saw some over the holidays but I don't recall seeing any recently.  If it hasn't totally disappeared, it will soon.  

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I saw some over the holidays but I don't recall seeing any recently.  If it hasn't totally disappeared, it will soon.  

I saw it lingering back in December, but the holiday crowd seems to have snatched it all up.

given enough time, I imagine they'll procure and sell more, I just dread to think of the price at that point....I balked at $58 a bottle when I bought the 5 I have now of the barrel proofer's, but would now jump at that price if I saw one on a shelf.

• 2 weeks later...

Every now and again the whiskey nervosa jumps up and roars over this one.

...then I remember that MGP is still cranking this stuff out at full clip, and we'll see them again a few years down the road.

Might not be Smooth Ambler though - they were saying that MGPs pricing of their new make rye has now made affordable aged SAOS picks much less feasible.

Maybe if we hit a glut Diageo in their desperation will let us pick a few older Bulleits out of Stitzel Weller...

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Every now and again the whiskey nervosa jumps up and roars over this one.

...then I remember that MGP is still cranking this stuff out at full clip, and we'll see them again a few years down the road.

Might not be Smooth Ambler though - they were saying that MGPs pricing of their new make rye has now made affordable aged SAOS picks much less feasible.

Maybe if we hit a glut Diageo in their desperation will let us pick a few older Bulleits out of Stitzel Weller...

First Diageo would have to put some Bulleits in Stitzel-Weller! B)

Their new distillery in Shelbyville still isn't making whiskey as far as I know and they're not going to be putting any barrels made specifically for Bulleit in the there until they do.

Could probably pull a few older Four Roses barrels out of Stitzel-Weller though, not to mention who knows what other distillery barrels might be lurking in those rickhouses...

Hmm. Thought they were still aging at SW, just on a reduced scale after the mold lawsuit.

Always assumed they'd be aging the MGP rye there as well.

Just now, The Black Tot said:

Hmm. Thought they were still aging at SW, just on a reduced scale after the mold lawsuit.

They probably are. I don't consider anything that was made elsewhere as "Bulleit". It is just 4R/MGP/B-F/"Who knows what else" being stored at S-W and being put in a Bulleit bottle until Diageo actually makes something of their own specifically for the Bulleit line.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

true. I have enough BP rye to last until then, hopefully. I just wonder what the price point will be. $75? $100? who knows.

It depends. If MGP can keep selling their distillate at double the usual price, they'll eventually increase capacity.

$75-100 for 7yr rye is pretty nicely profitable, and it incentivizes more production.

A lot of that MGP product that disappeared into smaller new whiskey companies in recent years is about to start coming back at us out of their rack houses, at various ages. That could help set a fair balance.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

They probably are. I don't consider anything that was made elsewhere as "Bulleit". It is just 4R/MGP/B-F/"Who knows what else" being stored at S-W and being put in a Bulleit bottle until Diageo actually makes something of their own specifically for the Bulleit line.

They have barrels there that are simply marked "Diageo". Could easily be MGP brought over in totes and dumped into their own barrels.

They also have Beam barrels in the ricks. They also get whiskey from Barton.

The new distillery is not up and running yet. When it is, it will only be able to provide about half of what they currently need so the sourcing will continue. The rye will presumably still be 100% MGP

bulleit rye barrel proof would be a hit these days. age statement or not. I like bulleit rye, as it has the MGP rye profile, but it suffers under the proof point. rye is best when it has the rye AND the proof bite.

10 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

bulleit rye barrel proof would be a hit these days. age statement or not. I like bulleit rye, as it has the MGP rye profile, but it suffers under the proof point. rye is best when it has the rye AND the proof bite.

James E Pepper 1776 barrel proof *almost* gets the job done but it's just a little bit too youthful for my liking at 2 years old. Assuming a Bulleit Rye BP would be 4 years it would probably be a hit.

haven't tried the 1776 yet. I'll have to give it a shot. I expected Willett's 3 year rye to be too young, but it works.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Dick said:

haven't tried the 1776 yet. I'll have to give it a shot. I expected Willett's 3 year rye to be too young, but it works.

The Willett 3 year blows the 1776 away in my opinion.

15 hours ago, amg said:

The Willett 3 year blows the 1776 away in my opinion.

It's better, the juice definitely has a different character, that being said I'd take the 1776 over the Willett 2 yr.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.