Is there any SAOS Rye in the wild nymore?

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, flahute said:

They have barrels there that are simply marked "Diageo". Could easily be MGP brought over in totes and dumped into their own barrels.

They also have Beam barrels in the ricks. They also get whiskey from Barton.

The new distillery is not up and running yet. When it is, it will only be able to provide about half of what they currently need so the sourcing will continue. The rye will presumably still be 100% MGP

Could be. It wouldn't surprise me if they also had barrels just marked "Diageo" that came from Dickel that was moved to S-W for aging. Dickel is the only currently operating Diageo distillery in the US that I can think of until the new one comes on line.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2017 at 9:53 AM, kevinbrink said:

It's better, the juice definitely has a different character, that being said I'd take the 1776 over the Willett 2 yr.

I haven't tried the 1776 (I thought about it but 2 years was a deal breaker), but the Willet 3 in my opinion is like a barrel proof version of Few Rye or Cedar Ridge Rye, and probably very similar to many other craft ryes available. By that I mean I don't really like any of them, but they taste like they might be great with another 5 years of age. I'm glad I found a pour in a bar rather than picking up a bottle. Interesting to get a glimpse of what is to come but not something I enjoy drinking.

Many of these young ryes have a certain flavor that I can't quite identify that I do not like, and it tends to be an overwhelming, dominant flavor. I guess it's just a sort of young, raw rye grain flavor? I'm not sure. But it's not something I get on older ryes.

Edited by EarthQuake

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:31 AM, EarthQuake said:

I haven't tried the 1776 (I thought about it but 2 years was a deal breaker), but the Willet 3 in my opinion is like a barrel proof version of Few Rye or Cedar Ridge Rye, and probably very similar to many other craft ryes available. By that I mean I don't really like any of them, but they taste like they might be great with another 5 years of age. I'm glad I found a pour in a bar rather than picking up a bottle. Interesting to get a glimpse of what is to come but not something I enjoy drinking.

Many of these young ryes have a certain flavor that I can't quite identify that I do not like, and it tends to be an overwhelming, dominant flavor. I guess it's just a sort of young, raw rye grain flavor? I'm not sure. But it's not something I get on older ryes.

High rye content ryes like MGP (which is what both the Pepper and Willett are of course) and small distilleries that make their own young high rye content rye whiskey all seem to have that strong grainy bready rye character (often emphasized by the twang of small barrels" in the craft world). With the MGP ryes it does seem to improve over time and get far more enjoyable to me. SAOS seemed to find that spot where it began to work well with those 7yo (and up) ryes. A shame they are now so hard to come by.

Edited by tanstaafl2

• 4 months later...

Shamelessly stole this from a poker forum I visit.

Need a flux capacitor and a Delorean to go pick up a case.

3f80e39008f2b34054402e8e22d3cda0.jpg

At least MGP is still cranking it out.

I'm glad they're getting better prices for their bulk distillate, because, well, it's good and MGP deserves it. The rye (and bourbon!) landscape would be VERY different (and much worse if I'm not being clear) without them.

But I'm also saddened that it's now become cost prohibitive for the best aging houses like SA to lay it down for future bottlings.

Oh well, what goes up must come down. If it gets too profitable for MGP to make rye they'll add capacity and get the supply up, which might get the cost down again to where SA can load up the rack houses.

Until then there is still a lot of rye from earlier times in SA's warehouses, and all that MGP production is getting laid down SOMEWHERE. Maybe someone else can get a good 8yr+ product out in a few more years. Hopefully not too much of it has been jammed into tiny barrels or inefficient rack houses.

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

At least MGP is still cranking it out.

I'm glad they're getting better prices for their bulk distillate, because, well, it's good and MGP deserves it. The rye (and bourbon!) landscape would be VERY different (and much worse if I'm not being clear) without them.

But I'm also saddened that it's now become cost prohibitive for the best aging houses like SA to lay it down for future bottlings.

Oh well, what goes up must come down. If it gets too profitable for MGP to make rye they'll add capacity and get the supply up, which might get the cost down again to where SA can load up the rack houses.

Until then there is still a lot of rye from earlier times in SA's warehouses, and all that MGP production is getting laid down SOMEWHERE. Maybe someone else can get a good 8yr+ product out in a few more years. Hopefully not too much of it has been jammed into tiny barrels or inefficient rack houses.

it'll be back, under some label or another, but it wont be back at the 8 year, $50 price range. Of all the reasons to be thankful for this website, to me it is because I had a heads up that it was going away, and bought a bunch of them before they were gone. I really like the MGP style of 95/5 rye, and to me, I feel they set the standard for what a rye should taste like. I don't particularly care for rye-heavy bourbons though, as I dont find them distinctive enough from a regular bourbon.

1 minute ago, Whiskey Dick said:

it'll be back, under some label or another, but it wont be back at the 8 year, $50 price range.

Oh, I think it will :). For one thing I think a lot of the bulk distillate went to craft distillers, who may find themselves in an uncomfortably competitive market once the newly ramped up production reaches maturity. We shall see, though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.