Vatting - share your blend experiences

bdrinker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which single malts have you blended together to produce a better dram?

I wanted to try something different today. I poured me a glass of Glenlivet 12, and added 5 to six drops of Laphroaig 10.

A peated glenlivet. Citrusy pineapple on the nose with a hint of peat. The palate reminds me of hp12, lightly peated. Some peat on the finish.

Certainly adds complexity to the Glenlivet 12. But the citrusy pineapple note dominates the palate. Nice touch of peat though.

Edited by bdrinker

• 11 months later...

The latest Black Bottle blended scotch is not as smokey as it used to be so I added some Ardmore Traditional Cask to it to increase the peat level a bit...a significant improvement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did a mingle with a Shieldaig Highland Malt (Total Wine label on the low end - < $20) and Glenmorangie 10yr.  I wasn't crazy about the Glenmo 10, but this mingle hits me just right.  

I picked up a bottle of Black Bull 12 while in Montreal, and found it rich yet dull.  So I added a dollup of Glen Moray 12, which I find light yet lively, and the Bull is markedly improved.  

I like to mingle sherry bombs with young thumping peaters.  It almost doesn't matter which ones and in what propoportions.  It saves me from opening a bottle of one of my increasingly rare sherried peaters.  I have a rather amazing sherried IB of Bowmore open right now though, so I don't have the need.

• 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.