Washing Glasses

b1gcountry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Usually just hot water and a soft bottle brush (OXO's is my favorite so far) for the glasses I use personally.

When I have guests I tend to use dish soap, rinse really well in hot water, and dry while still hot with a newly washed towel (Williams-Sonoma Flour Sack Kitchen Towels are the best I've found so far) so they look nice and don't spread anything around.

Yep. And I hand-wash my Glencairns and Reidels (but not my rocks glasses). If you do use a dishwasher, I would thoroughly rinse after - I do that with my rocks glasses before storing because there is always a bit of the residue (I thought it was not enough Jet Dry, or too much Jet Dry - but ultimately I just decided to rinse all glasses after).

I put them all in the dishwasher and I usually don't rinse them out after. Never had any problem with residue making my whiskey taste funny, but ymmv.

Just a hot water rinse and towel dry after use. I tend to rinse right after I'm done using the glass so no need for any vigorous cleaning.

My regular glasses which are cheapo but perfect sommelier tasting glasses I bought for 9 cents each) - hot water rinse, clean paper towel dry after I take it out of the dishwasher before running the dishwasher. Unless I don't take it out in which case it gets washed (I do all the dishes in the house - the price for free meals cooked by somebody else :shocked:).

Special glasses or for guests - clean from shelf after dishwasher but polished with a clean lint-free towel just before use. Ditto for rocks glasses and cocktails.

Just a hot water rinse and towel dry after use. I tend to rinse right after I'm done using the glass so no need for any vigorous cleaning.

Glencairns? Hand wash with dish detergent; thorough, repeated rinse, air dry.

Others? Dishwasher, extra hand rinse, air dry.

Air drying Glencairns has always left ugly spots for me. I think the curvy shape doesn't let the water drain effectively. I was hesitant at first to put them in the dishwasher, but after a few times found they dry much cleaner and I've tasted no ill effects.

Air drying Glencairns has always left ugly spots for me. I think the curvy shape doesn't let the water drain effectively. I was hesitant at first to put them in the dishwasher, but after a few times found they dry much cleaner and I've tasted no ill effects.

Yeah, they all spot with air drying. However, the little mineral traces from the hard water add nutrition, so I tolerate 'em for health reasons.... He-Heeee!

Soap, Hot water. Rinse, then a Sanitizer, then Rinse, then air dry, polish. This is my Glencairns, and rocks glasses, and Beer Glasses

• 2 weeks later...

What about aging a glass like people do with coffee cups. If you had a daily drinker and just used it for that. Just give it a quick rinse. I am not a coffee drinker so I don't know if that does anything but I know people that swear by it.

I do love the smell of the glass the next morning after drinking OWA, but I always wash it.

Gary

I use Dawn dishwashing liquid, and wash my Glencairn's in the kitchen sink just like I do our regular dishes. However, I always wash my Glencairns first, and I'm just a bit more careful.

• 1 month later...

sure do, you gotta have a supper clean glass right? I just rinse them really well with super hot water.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I always use soap, but they get a hefty rinse (until no bubbles will form) before going back on the shelf.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/29/2015 at 11:02 PM, heydobro said:

Yep. I never used soap, just lots of hot water. Drying a Glencairn is a challenge, though, because the opening is so narrow. Leaving it to air dry often created spots. One day I caught Mrs. F sneaking our glasses into the dish washer. Gave her the lecture about never doing that. Stupid on two counts: 1) You don't never, ever want to lecture Mrs. F about anything whatsoever; 2) So far I have noticed no deleterious effects either to the glasses or to the enjoyment of bourbon.

20 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Yep. I never used soap, just lots of hot water. Drying a Glencairn is a challenge, though, because the opening is so narrow. Leaving it to air dry often created spots. One day I caught Mrs. F sneaking our glasses into the dish washer. Gave her the lecture about never doing that. Stupid on two counts: 1) You don't never, ever want to lecture Mrs. F about anything whatsoever; 2) So far I have noticed no deleterious effects either to the glasses or to the enjoyment of bourbon.

I use the blue shop towels that Costco sells. It doesn't leave any particles on the glass that paper towels do. 

I also use use those towels on my cast iron pans for drying after use and applying oil after use to season

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:38 AM, Flyfish said:

Stupid on two counts: 1) You don't never, ever want to lecture Mrs. F about anything whatsoever; 2) So far I have noticed no deleterious effects either to the glasses or to the enjoyment of bourbon.

Count #1 - LMAO. How many of us read that line and substituted our "better half" for Mrs. F :D

Count #2 - I used to hand wash my Glencairns, but these days just use the dishwasher and haven't noticed any difference.

Amen to what Gary said about Count #s 1 & 2, especially #1.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.