Fruity but not syrupy sweet drinks?

skiwez2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm hosting a cocktail party, essentially to celebrate the completion of my latest project which is the basement bar.  The majority of my friends are either bourbon or other whiskey drinkers but their wives not so much.  You guys have any suggestions for a couple of good recipes I can serve the ladies?  Trying to keep it simple but tasty.   Already have margarita's on he menu - using a quality tequila, cointreau, and fresh lime juice. 

Thanks in advance for the help

Sangria as suggested can work well. Rum drinks might work. The Daquiri is the classic I suppose. A very simple formula that is a little on the sweeter side is:

2 oz Rum - Can be light or dark or even spiced or flavored like a coconut rum if you are so inclined.   
34  oz Fresh squeezed Lime Juice - Don't use the bottled stuff!  
34  oz Simple syrup  

I like sparkling cocktails for these occasions but they aren't always what I would call simple!

I tend to lean towards something like Pineau des Charentes for the ladies (I like it too!) but that is a little on the esoteric side I suppose and isn't likely readily available outside of larger towns. Not terribly expensive and a bit like a really sweet wine.

http://www.binnys.com/spirits/pineau+des+charentes

Otherwise those nasty sweet "pseudo-martini" drinks like an appletini are all that come to mind! Yeech!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Thinking French 75,  cosmo, and maybe I forget what it's call ed but has green chartrues, gin,  comparing and lime juice

Bijou has 1.5 oz. gin, 0.5 oz. green Chartreuse, 0.5 oz. sweet vermouth (or Punt e Mes or Campari or Carpano Antiqua but Aperol is TOO sweet), orange bitters.  Shake and serve up with a cherry.

If the green Chartreuse is too herbal, try yellow in the same proportions.  You might want to try it ahead of time to be sure you don't need to adjust proportions if you make a big batch.

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Bijou has 1.5 oz. gin, 0.5 oz. green Chartreuse, 0.5 oz. sweet vermouth (or Punt e Mes or Campari or Carpano Antiqua but Aperol is TOO sweet), orange bitters.  Shake and serve up with a cherry.

If the green Chartreuse is too herbal, try yellow in the same proportions.  You might want to try it ahead of time to be sure you don't need to adjust proportions if you make a big batch.

Just be careful going from green to yellow chartreuse. Yellow is much sweeter (honey based) and lower proof so it isn't typically a direct swap.

I fully agree - is why I suggested mixing a batch then tasting and adjusting.  I'm not a fan of sweet drinks, but sometimes I have to please the audience.;)

BTW, years ago I found a sangria recipe that used white port instead of wine.  It made for a nice change, worked well in batches so it could be made days ahead of time, and diluted well as the ice melted while still holding its flavor.  We used it as a Christmas punch.

Thanks guys  appreciate the advice.  Not going to be making batches as I look forward to standing behind the bar and serving the drinks.  Little bit of showmanship, but it also keeps me from having to do anything else for the party.  Which generally means staying out of the way as my wife mingles and serves the apps.

• 1 month later...

For your next party make a Southern Belle, it's a refreshing fruity cocktail. There are many variations on how to make one (some call for whiskey) but I tried one that was like a sangria 2.0, was great in the summer.

White wine (something refreshing like a New Zeland sauvignon blanc), prosecco, crème de peche, strawberries, grapes and citrus.

• 5 months later...

Might be a little low brow, but my wife likes vodka with simply blueberry lemonade. I made an old fashioned cocktail from Glenmorangie 10yr tonight. I generally don't like old fashioned cocktails, but fruity but not syrupy is exactly how I would describe it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

P.S. My simple syrup was flavored with lemon balm, which is a lemon scented mint.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.