What is the deal with Rock Hill Farms?

gmiller598
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had some at a bar for the first time over the weekend and thought it was decent. I wasn't familiar with it so I googled it to find out more about it.

I gather it is a Buffalo Trace brand with a similar mash bill to Blanton's but the BT website has no mention of it whatsoever. I've never seen this in a store anywhere in OH to my knowledge. I just find it odd that there isn't much information about this on the internet.

Do a search here on SB for "Rock Hill" and for "RHF" and you should get some hits.  Be sure to read some of the older threads as RHF has changed over time.

11 hours ago, gmiller598 said:

I had some at a bar for the first time over the weekend and thought it was decent. I wasn't familiar with it so I googled it to find out more about it.

I gather it is a Buffalo Trace brand with a similar mash bill to Blanton's but the BT website has no mention of it whatsoever. I've never seen this in a store anywhere in OH to my knowledge.

Where was this bar that served RHF? There are many excellent bourbons you will never see in OH. Ask for any iteration of Weller, for example.

Actually saw some of this "in the wild" in East TN today at $59.99 but passed as I'm pretty well stocked and I tend to find it for a bit less when in KY

Saw a lot of this in Kentucky, Paducah especially, where I actually found a bottle of ETL on the shelf. Lots of RHF in Tennessee these days, saw several in between Nashville and Knoxville.

There are 5 in my bunker, as it's my wife's favorite.

11 hours ago, Flyfish said:

Where was this bar that served RHF? There are many excellent bourbons you will never see in OH. Ask for any iteration of Weller, for example.

It was the 16 Bit Bar in Downtown Columbus. They have a pretty decent selection on their website. They also had Elmer T Lee and E.H. Taylor Single Barrel available. Not a hige selection but certainly some good choices to pick from.

I love RHF.   I'd love to find one of the old RHF with the gold chain bling.  Had one several years ago and it was one of the best bourbons I've had.  

I only have 3 of the new RHFs bunkered, and one open.

Not sure where you are in Colorado but in the Lafayette area there is a liqour store that has plenty for around $45 last time I was in there.....think it's called Atlas, junction of Arapahoe and 95th.

It's made by Buffalo Trace, but the brand itself is owned by Age International. I don't know if/how that affects distribution. 

speaking to a store owner today about this, he said that it's not even in the distributor's catalog anymore, and he hasn't seen it for a very long time.  which is unfortunate.

It's one of my favorites.  A store near me still has a few bottles.  They're asking $60 for it.  I am trying not to hoard them, but I do pick up a bottle usually if I see them.

For me it's ok but not one of my favorites not that I wouldn't buy it again.  The problem lies in the fact since my local stores can't get it often they charge a lot more than it's worth.

If I was in their shoes I'd probably do the same thing.

2 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

speaking to a store owner today about this, he said that it's not even in the distributor's catalog anymore, and he hasn't seen it for a very long time.  which is unfortunate.

That sounds kind of odd to me DNB, 'cause I'm pretty sure we have the same distributor. <_< It's literally been years since I've seen any locally, but it actually showed up in a couple of nearby stores recently. I like RHF, but I ain't gonna pay $55.00-$65.00 for a bottle.

RHF has become overpriced, and ETL is awol 95% of the time. 

HPR looks (and tastes) just as good when poured into a empty RHF bottle.   

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

RHF has become overpriced, and ETL is awol 95% of the time. 

HPR looks (and tastes) just as good when poured into a empty RHF bottle.   

Guess it's too early in the morning, but can't decipher HPR....

And agree RHF has become overpriced at $60-$70.   Back when it was $45 was well worth it.  And you can still find it at that price someplaces....

HPR = Hancock's President's Reserve, another BT bourbon. 

Edited by jeffrey r

RHF is one of my all-time top favorites. I would gladly pay $60 for it if I found it. It was $50 fifteen years ago.

Tim

2 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

HPR = Hancock's President's Reserve, another BT bourbon. 

Just another senior moment I guess.  I knew that.   Haven't seen HPR in a long time though

To BT's credit, I've seen more Blanton's, RHF and HPR here in the past six months than I had in the last three years or so.  Meanwhile, ETL remains AWOL... 

HPR is stocked fairly regularly in NJ.  It is generally between $45-$50, and despite my regularly stocking RHF, Blanton's, BT and ER (along with the EHT line), HPR has been the odd man out for me at its price.  Just doesn't compel me to purchase it in terms of proof, age, etc.

Saw HPR this week in East TN at least a couple of stores at around the $50 price point which seemed high and since I had  bottle on the shelf already I passed on it.  Also saw RHF but it was $60 and I passed as well

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.