Average # of bottles in your bunker?

MarkWalker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm curious on what each of you would consider an average # of bottles (Bourbon only) in your bunker?  What about the # of your current go-to?  

If you find something rare, that you have been looking for, how much will you purchase?  

As I'm essentially starting from scratch, one 8-9 year old 1.75 of OWA, and a older bottle of MM, my plan is to stock up on basics as I find them, all the while looking for the unicorns. 

Thanks for the insight!  

Edited by MarkWalker

I lost count of my bunker a while ago. But recently, it got worse - I lost the ability to estimate it.

Edited by The Black Tot

I try to keep it around 25-30... That gives me the ability to stock a few each of some favorites, a number of other selections, as well as a few good limited offerings. It is not too extensive though and keeps the Mrs from getting irritated with my purchases.

12 hours ago, Hop said:

way too many or not enough depending on who you ask.  me or my wife

Ha!  Yes, I understand.  

I've been through a couple "booms", the cigar boom for one.  I owned a small shop prior to boom starting and it damn near drove me out of business.   It was great at first, then it got tough to get product to sell.  Hell, I didn't know there was a Bourbon boom going on until a month ago and I started reading about things.  I've been a craft beer drinker and that is clearly booming.  Anyway, my boss turned me on to Blanton's as a diversion from the beer and I thought I'd go get a couple bottles - HA!  I've since found some and now realize where this industry is - its messy.  

This boom will do follow the same as the cigar I'd bet ya bottle.   Things will go back to equilibrium slowly, but it will return.  

Why I asked the question is I learned with cigars, buy what you want when you can get it, it might not be avail again anytime soon, and stock up some to get through the gap.  I just wondered if it would be weird if you found, say, Weller 12 readily avail in a shop and bought 6 at once.  

Mainly I am glad I found the forum.  Readily puts me down the learning curve..  ;-)  

3 hours ago, MarkWalker said:

I just wondered if it would be weird if you found, say, Weller 12 readily avail in a shop and bought 6 at once.  

Once upon a time……..

2w12.jpg

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Once upon a time……..

2w12.jpg

The man likes his wheaters.

On 12/10/2015, 7:19:02, Hop said:

way too many or not enough depending on who you ask.  me or my wife

I could say the same, but if I ever had to move it, my wife would be right.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎28‎:‎52‎, The Black Tot said:

I lost count of my bunker a while ago. But recently, it got worse - I lost the ability to estimate it.

I resemble that remark!

Newbie here.  I'm trying to help hubby get a collection going but then I kept hearing about this "bunker" phenomenon.  Now why do we need a bunker?  Are you all stocking up because you're anticipating a price increase or maybe what you like might be discontinued in the near future?  But what if your taste changes?  Or what if they make more and better whiskey in the future?   

You make me want to bunker too!  Lol

Mahalo!

I have two different reserves.

I keep a box of stuff I haven't tried yet, and I only have one bottle since I don't know how much I'll like it.

I also keep a box of stuff I know I like, and I buy it when it is on sale, or I find a good price.

Between the two of them, I should be happy at TEOTWAWKI

Edited by b1gcountry

22 hours ago, Hungry hobbit said:

Newbie here.  I'm trying to help hubby get a collection going but then I kept hearing about this "bunker" phenomenon.  Now why do we need a bunker?  Are you all stocking up because you're anticipating a price increase or maybe what you like might be discontinued in the near future?  But what if your taste changes?  Or what if they make more and better whiskey in the future?   

Mahalo!

The "bunker" may have a variety of purposes. Could be hedge against what currently seems like the inevitable price increases for those bottles you like. This may apply to standard stuff on the shelf or perhaps a very limited bottle such limited edition offering or a store picked single barrel that can't be duplicated.

Sometimes there are bottles for which there is at least some speculation that they may change (lose an age statement for example) or disappear altogether.

Some people have an odd tendency to buy practically every different type of bottle they see so that they can try and compare.

And some people tend to do a little of both (I won't mention any names for people like this but one of them starts with T and ends in ANSTAAFL2... B)).

These characteristics are collectively often referred to as "Whiskirexia Nervosa" and one of the side effects is the care, maintenance and feeding of "the bunker"!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I bunker for different reasons. Dusties because I may never see them again. Certain basics because they are allocated like the Wellers (I buy every bottle I see) and recently I have been stopping by the local store each day and getting one bottle of taylor bib and eagle rare 10 year. The store only allows one of each and they make nice looking presents. I try to keep about 10 of each for this reason. 

I keep the bourbon bunker at around 100 bottles. The only significant number of duplicates are GBS barrel selections.

Had to go run down and count.

Having fun with it.  My bourbon buddy, a block and a half away,  share bunkers to make it even more fun.

4 hours ago, Hungry hobbit said:

Mahalo!

Hello, Hungry Hobbit.  Valid questions you ask.  The reference to the condition "Whiskirexia Nervosa" had a long discussion here that makes good reading when you have a lot of time.  Many responded to the idea of how not having a whiskey supply large enough can make some feel uncomfortable.  Here's the link:

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/10881-do-you-have-it/#comment-148542

I've got 16 in the bunker with 5 open at the moment.  I think I have stage 1  Whiskirexia Nervosa, I don't buy everything I see on sale, but, I am buying more than I drink.  I buy 2 bottles for every  bottle I drink, so, my bunker is growing steadily.  Eventually,I want to make a legitimate bunker in my basement...maybe a bomb shelter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.