J. Carver Rye

dummkauf80
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone have any experience with this one?

The liquor store near my office recommended it as a good Rye.  I'd never heard of it before and didn't buy it, but I am curious if anyone else could give it a recommendation?

I'm located in MN, and J. Carver is apparently based in MN too, so that's a nice plus of consuming something made locally, but I'm curious if it's really as good as the sales clerk was saying(or if she was just trying to push another bottle).

Not seen a bottle but the fact that the distillery just opened in 2015, the barrels are locally made (and therefore likely to be small barrels) and there is no age statement on the label that I can see suggest that this is extremely young whiskey aged in small barrels with a label that does not meet the legal criteria of providing an age statement for whiskey less then 4yo. They do claim they distilled it and they do have a fairly nice looking still pictured on the website so I won't dispute that without more information.

http://www.jcarverdistillery.com/rye-whisky

If you like supporting local made spirits (they do also produce several vodkas, gins as well as apple brandy and grappa of all things) then certainly go for it. I have plenty of young grainy whiskey from small barrels that are local to me as it is so it would likely be a pass for me!

• 2 months later...

If I may, I would like to clarify a few things regarding J. Carver Distillery and our rye whiskey.  The distillery has been in operation since August of 2014, with an experienced team of distillers and liquor professionals.  All of our products are produced grain-to-glass with ingredients and barrels from local  sources.  Our rye whiskey that was recommended has been aged a minimum of 10 months, in traditional and non-traditional barrels ranging from 10 to 30 gallons.  Our label clearly indicates the age of the whiskey as required by law, and those that have tasted it have been impressed with its sweet start, peppery finish, and smoothness.  The product was bottled and released because it was ready, and on the advice of respected  mixologists at top bars and restaurants in Minneapolis.  Batches one and two sold out quickly, batch three will be bottled shortly, and our first bourbon whiskey, aged more than 15 months, will be released before summer.  If you are interested, please visit our distillery and we will offer you a taste so you can make an educated judgement for yourself.

Billybob - Your font turned up "black on black".  Took me two views with really old eyes to figure out that if I highlighted it, I could read it.  Nevertheless, thanks for the info and welcome to SB.

Like tanstaafl2, I have a nice selection of local, young (did I mentioned YOUNG!?) whiskeys.  Some were good enough to encourage me to try the older products, and a few of those approached their promise.  Good luck.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
spelling again dammit

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.