Sazerac 18...I don't get it

Bourserker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On January 11, 2016 at 8:05:31 PM, smokinjoe said:

But, once it's gone, it's gone. It's drinking a piece of history.

And, there really isn't anything remotely close to it profile-wise on the market.  

This why I secured a couple this year.

It will be nice to do a SBS with the 2016 Sazerac 18.

I'm sure both will be very good in their own way.

• 5 weeks later...

The last pour of this I had was long ago enough that I don't recall much other than preferring THH over it.   I do remember there wasn't a huge difference that I could notice between Baby Saz and the Saz 18.   I would much rather have 10 or 20 bottles of the former vs. one of the latter, and I would rather have 3-5 bottles of THH instead of either.

On 2/25/2016, 4:50:41, ken_mays said:

The last pour of this I had was long ago enough that I don't recall much other than preferring THH over it.   I do remember there wasn't a huge difference that I could notice between Baby Saz and the Saz 18.   I would much rather have 10 or 20 bottles of the former vs. one of the latter, and I would rather have 3-5 bottles of THH instead of either.

Then you're a lucky man. What you prefer is relatively easily acquired.

Might sound like sour grapes but I don't really want to acquire a taste for something that is virtually unobtainable.  I have an unopened bottle of Saz 18 on the shelf and would rather it went to a friend who would really appreciate it. 

10 minutes ago, ken_mays said:

Might sound like sour grapes but I don't really want to acquire a taste for something that is virtually unobtainable.  I have an unopened bottle of Saz 18 on the shelf and would rather it went to a friend who would really appreciate it. 

Just enjoy the experience of drinking it.  No need to look beyond that, honestly.

• 4 weeks later...

I love Saz 18 I have a bottle tucked away. By the way if I'm not mistaken what comes out this year will be the last of the tanked Saz 18. Then they will go to BT made rye in 2017 that is supposed to be 18 years old.

6 hours ago, p_elliott said:

I love Saz 18 I have a bottle tucked away. By the way if I'm not mistaken what comes out this year will be the last of the tanked Saz 18. Then they will go to BT made rye in 2017 that is supposed to be 18 years old.

I was under the impression that the 2015 was the last of the tanked stuff.

I seem to recall hearing the same rumor about 2015 being the last year for the tanked Saz 18 but of course nobody is saying anything definitive from the company.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I've also bee seeing/reading that 2015 was the last year for the tanked.

• 2 months later...

I love Saz18.  I'm thankful a bar near me has it available for a relatively reasonable price.  It and the and ORVW Family Reserve Rye have a room filling yet balanced presence I don't get from younger ryes.  I am not sure they would appeal to folks who prefer big brash barrel proof ryes, but I could be wrong.   I like both, though from my experience the barely legal style seems to age more gracefully.

I'm sure someday I'll be able to walk into a liquor store and purchase ryes with that elder statesman presence, but until then, I am just happy to see baby saz and Pikesville 110 on shelves. 

I have spent a lot of time with the current BTAC (excluding ER17) & I have to say that Saz18 is my least favorite of the whole group. That being said I still enjoy it very much. Just shows how much great whiskey Buffalo Trace has to offer. 

It comes down to each individuals taste preference. I remember having the Saz 18 and being initially unimpressed however as I let it breathe and continued to nose the whiskey I became more and more under its spell. It's a fantastic whiskey, just more subtle then others like THH

Now I have been lucky enough to procure a bottle of THH each year for the last 6 years and IMHO its my pick for No. 1 whiskey on this planet (lets start another debate :lol:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.