Your new years bourbon, and why?

Jace
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with Willett Family Estate 4YO. Moved over to Blanton's. Then to Noah's Mill. Finished with Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (first release). A good night.

Like others here, I tend to do most of my drinking at home. Especially on a night when all the "crazies" are out. So, my wife and I spent a quiet evening at home. We began the evening by watching a little football on tv, then eventually settled in and watched a "Thin Man" movie marathon on the TCM channel. Great classic movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy. Fun stuff. Needless to say we laughed a lot.:lol:

I started off the evening with a pour of ER, and had plans to move on to bigger and better things. Well, the ER ended up being so tasty, I never poured anything else. :) As a matter of fact, it tasted so good, I'm having another pour with my morning cup of coffee this morning. :D

Cheers and Happy New Year! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

. . .

We . . . eventually settled in and watched a "Thin Man" movie marathon on the TCM channel. Great classic movies with William Powell and Myrna Loy. Fun stuff. Needless to say we laughed a lot.:lol:

. . .

We did this - ended up watching four of them.  We had Sazerac cocktails between "Another Thin Man" and "Shadow of the Thin Man". 

22 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

We did this - ended up watching four of them.  We had Sazerac cocktails between "Another Thin Man" and "Shadow of the Thin Man". 

LOL Harry. We only made it through the first three. :)

On 12/31/2015, 12:21:00, OldDrinker1978 said:

Bought a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel which I will be enjoying with friends and some damn fine beers. I really like it, it's not expensive, it came with a free nosing glass and I am honoring Lemmy sort of!

Nice. When I get back home on the 8th I'll be pouring one for Lemmy myself!

I enjoyed Evan Williams Single Barrel with some friends for New Year. It was pretty good. I like EW Black and EW 1783 so I figured the EW Single Barrel would be to my liking, and it was. The flavor profile of the Single Barrel was similar to Black, however it was smoother and had a longer finish. Overall I am really liking EW bourbons these days, especially the Black since it is such a good value.

I ended up drinking an 8yo Widow Jane offering, which I believe is MGP whiskey.  I know everybody is down on Widow Jane, but this bottle was a gift and actually I really like it.  It wasn't our "toast the new year" whiskey; that was a 30 year old Longmorn single malt that was distilled on my birthday---my "special occasion" dram.  The Widow Jane bourbon was the warm-up act.

25 minutes ago, chasking said:

I ended up drinking an 8yo Widow Jane offering, which I believe is MGP whiskey.  I know everybody is down on Widow Jane, but this bottle was a gift and actually I really like it.  It wasn't our "toast the new year" whiskey; that was a 30 year old Longmorn single malt that was distilled on my birthday---my "special occasion" dram.  The Widow Jane bourbon was the warm-up act.

I am less down on the whiskey itself, as MGP stuff is generally good to very good depending on who is picking it, as I am on what I think are inflated prices for it, not to mention the fluff and nonsense they put out about what it is and why it is "special". An NDP at its worst in my opinion.

And of course most recently the "heirloom" whiskey they have offered for sale at what I believe are absurd prices.

I went to a friend's house where several other bourbon drinkers were reputed to be invited.  I took a nearly full bottle of Bulleit bourbon and a nearly empty bottle of JW Dant BIB.   The Bulleit was for sharing and the JW Dant was to surreptitiously fill my glass when others weren't looking.  :P  

I ended up coming home with both, with the Bulleit no closer to being gone.  I tried leaving the bottle but my host was having none of it.

I went with Pappy 20 2011 to start then moved on to WLW 2013 bottling.  Two of my favorite bourbons.  

17 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I tried leaving the bottle but my host was having none of it.

That's never happened to me. :huh: Well, not more than a couple of times anyway. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

On January 3, 2016 at 11:07:42 PM, Beer Taster America said:

I enjoyed Evan Williams Single Barrel with some friends for New Year. It was pretty good. I like EW Black and EW 1783 so I figured the EW Single Barrel would be to my liking, and it was. The flavor profile of the Single Barrel was similar to Black, however it was smoother and had a longer finish. Overall I am really liking EW bourbons these days, especially the Black since it is such a good value.

Evan williams black. That is a fantastic bourbon. I call it "The underdog of bourbon"

EWB is good stuff, one of our locals ran a holiday special for $9.99 a bottle.   My son and nephews count as three generations in our family for which this has been a house go to brand.

4 hours ago, squire said:

EWB is good stuff, one of our locals ran a holiday special for $9.99 a bottle.   My son and nephews count as three generations in our family for which this has been a house go to brand.

squire, how do you compare EWB to EWW BIB? I recently finished a bottle of the BIB and sometimes I would get the wet cardboard flavor I associate with too young bourbon. I got the same flavor sometimes from the HH 4yr gold label BIB. I don't get those flavors with the HH 6yr BIB.

21 hours ago, flahute said:

squire, how do you compare EWB to EWW BIB? I recently finished a bottle of the BIB and sometimes I would get the wet cardboard flavor I associate with too young bourbon. I got the same flavor sometimes from the HH 4yr gold label BIB. I don't get those flavors with the HH 6yr BIB.

Funny you should mention this, Steve.  I keep EWB around as my basic mixer, especially for guests, and I love hh6 BIB which we can't get here; some relatives bring me the HH gold label 80 proof as a gift which I walso love.  BUT, for some reason, the EW BIB just hasn't done it for me.

I, too, would like to hear from Squire and others on this conundrum.

22 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny you should mention this, Steve.  I keep EWB around as my basic mixer, especially for guests, and I love hh6 BIB which we can't get here; some relatives bring me the HH gold label 80 proof as a gift which I walso love.  BUT, for some reason, the EW BIB just hasn't done it for me.

I, too, would like to hear from Squire and others on this conundrum.

I'd like to help you guys out, but I don't drink EWBIB.  Maybe it's the age, as I stick with the much preferred IMO (and older brother) HHBIB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.